Would you ever let a stranger use your cell phone?

TedLundy

Dec 2, 2014
Depends who this stranger is. Some are more trust worthy than others.

When i say others... I'll give you a hint, i'm Swedish.

AnAceOfKidneys

May 2, 2014
This happened to me recently

Can I use your phone?
Why?
It's personal
So is my phone.

Got a weird look. Then I walked away after a few seconds of silence.

you should carry around an empty bowl with a "please take one" sign attached to it, when asked something simply present the bowl with a psychotic look on your face. It would work in many annoying situations.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Best case scenario if you say no? They get mad at you, but honestly, who cares?

Worst case scenario if you say yes? They steal your phone and you come onto hfboards and tell everyone about it.

You did the right thing.

Last edited:

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014
Worst case scenario if you say no? They get mad at you, but honestly, who cares?

Worst case scenario if you say yes? They steal your phone and you come onto hfboards and tell everyone about it.

You did the right thing.

umm worst case scenario would be to be killed or if you let them borrow it they grab you by the wrist as you hand it to them and kidnap you.

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
Has happened twice and I just say "sure" and let them borrow my phone for a minute, no big deal.

As long as they don't go snooping through the files I have on my phone, they might get weirded out by what they find.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
umm worst case scenario would be to be killed or if you let them borrow it they grab you by the wrist as you hand it to them and kidnap you.

In a more realistic worst case, they could use your phone to commit a crime. Harassing a victim, or intimidating a witness, or whathaveyou. And it'd be your number they trace, so you'd be on the hook.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Question: is it different if you willingly stop a stranger and ask them to take a picture of you when you are on vacation or something?

I did this when I visited Chicago a few years ago with a buddy. Just asked some guy, and it was all cool.

7680_10152018179975709_1656821703_n.jpg

Depends who this stranger is. Some are more trust worthy than others.

When i say others... I'll give you a hint, i'm Swedish.

Ja, det finns det.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I don't get the risk. Is it really a thing that people ask this and then run off with the phone?

Cats just bookin it with phone in hand.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
I don't get the risk. Is it really a thing that people ask this and then run off with the phone?

Cats just bookin it with phone in hand.

Well it's a tactic with hoodlums and petty criminals..who don't necessarily have it tattooed on their foreheads. Some are confidence tricksters.. who can be very convincing and are hard for some people to say no to, which they rely on; which doesn't mean every cat will run off with your phone, but it happens. A lot of people's lives are in their phones.

If you can't afford to lose it or it would cause you great inconvenience, best not be handing it to strangers. Of course it might depend a little on where you are and some other circumstances.

Be interesting to know how many phones people go through, how many they've lost, had stolen, dropped down the toilet, etc?

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Last night (around 11 pm) as I was walking underground on the concourse level of a subway station towards the exit, some girl (I am a male, by the way) that was walking in the opposite direction asked me "do you have a phone I can use?" I said nope and kept walking away. Did I do the right thing? She did not look to be in any kind of distress that I could see. I have never ever had that happen to me before (where somebody asks to borrow my phone). My first instinct was to be safe than sorry. Never really had the time to think what I would ever do in such a situation. Would you ever let a complete stranger use your cell phone?

I would have done the same thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad