Proposal: Would you bring Richards back home? (Vinny trade)

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver
Richards recently a healthy scratch, if LA would keep some of his caphit, would you bring him back if Kings would take Vinny the other way? What amount of caphit would Kings have to retain before you even consider?

Some info:

Richards
Caphit: 5.75
Last year of deal: 19/20

Vinny
Caphit: 4.5
Last year of deal: 16/17

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
no way. vinny's deal is much shorter, not to mention i cant see LA taking on part of Richards' cap hit, and us not take any of Vinny's on.

It would just be a junk for junk trade. No point.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
God no. Vinny is less money, less years and may even retire before his last season.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Richards had been my favorite Flyer, and I would love to get rid of Vinny's contract, but there is no way I would do this trade. Richards' ship has sailed here.

Even if LA retained some salary, it would have been no more than a difference between contracts.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
:laugh:

NO!

His ship hasn't sailed...it has sunk. What happened to his offseason commitment? He has some pretty putrid stats this year. Vinny is a listing ship with an anchor of a contract but Richards would be worse. Seriously, thank heavens Holmgren actually had a moment of clarity when he packaged both him and Carter. This Flyers team would be in even worse shape and Holmgren would be running for his life...

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
:laugh:

NO!

His ship hasn't sailed...it has sunk. What happened to his offseason commitment? He has some pretty putrid stats this year. Vinny is a listing ship with an anchor of a contract but Richards would be worse. Seriously, thank heavens Holmgren actually had a moment of clarity when he packaged both him and Carter. This Flyers team would be in even worse shape and Holmgren would be running for his life...

Like I've been saying, it's not his training. It's his brain. He can train as much as he wants and be the fittest guy in the league, it won't change the fact that the on-ice vision and awareness that made him who he was just isn't there anymore.

LexSea

Queen of the Couch
Mar 31, 2014
We need to stop picking up buyout candidates.

Bingo.

Richie was great for us a few years ago, but as several others have observed he is past it, and worth nowhere the contract he is signed to (and the duration, yeowch!)... We actually really dodged a bullet and profited mightily trading him when we did.

This is a rare occasion where it can actually be said that we are better off keeping Vinny.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It's too many years to commit to another center. Giroux-Couturier-Laughton should be the top 3 centers for roughly the next 6 or 7 years at least.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Watched whole Kings game last night, sadly Vinny > Richie. It is sad watching my once fav Flyer regress to a non NHL player:cry:

And outside of Doughty, that defense was a train wreck , like flyers bad. The Kings will be ripe to trade with and I hope Hexy can make some moves.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Not with that contract. If he were bought out I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him back in the offseason (or if the Kings ate 50% of the salary...which is almost certainly not going to happen).

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Also I think Richards and Carter both left with sour tastes in their mouths so I'm not sure he'd be interested in coming here (he still has that NTC doesn't he).

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They know they're in that market. Now they've lost Pearson with a broken ankle/leg and Toffoli has mono. They've been trying to get Sekera, but I don't think Lombardi wants to trade another 1st round pick. They've been playing fine for the last 6 weeks or so.

I'd still like to see Richards in a new situation before declaring him finished. He has been mediocre, but he's not sub-NHL yet.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
There were some rumors out there connecting him to Winnipeg. Can't imagine that would go down during the season since the Kings and Jets are on top of each other in the standings.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Richards recently a healthy scratch, if LA would keep some of his caphit, would you bring him back if Kings would take Vinny the other way? What amount of caphit would Kings have to retain before you even consider?

No he was not a healthy scratch, he hasn't lost a reg. season game since the 8 games in Nov/Dec of 2011 due to a concussion. He's been (from his coach yesterday post practice ) sick all week, didn't play in the 3rd period vs the Rangers on Thurds and didn't practice on Friday as a result was a yellow jersey.

And Vinny is nothing the Kings would want or ever need, unless he is a top 4 right handed D, which is the only thing Lombardi has been hunting for since Oct.
But it's not the easiest trade this year, it's a seller's market, too many teams looking for that D (including Hexy) and the few available are overpriced to some extent. As Mar 2 gets closer, depending on how desperate some teams are , some GM might overpay.

Hextall said (and he's right) the only trades he will make are to get younger and better. G is about to turn 27 and I don't think Hexy will trade for a player older that that as the Flyers future , their build for success is largely stil in the AHL or juniors ( the 4 D and sTOLarz) He will try to make this team better thru drafting young talent (hopefully stud winger Crouse or even Strome or better (top 4 or 5 pick this year) and if trading , getting rid of the older players like Vinny for picks or prospects.

As for Richards, he's played fine this year, despite his coach stripping his confidence away by keeping him on the 4th line wher ehe doesn't belong. His measureable metrics (corsi, defensive zone starts, PK, points per minutes played/60, etc.) have been good. He came to camp in great shape, but Sutter will not move SToll (whose been dreadful in most measurable metrics this year, esp PK, on the ice for 35% of the PK goals against) off of the 3rd line. He has more ES shifts and all the 2nd PP unit time that Richards doesn't have and SToll has produced very little , less points that MR despite a lot more TOI with top wingers and PP time.

Of the 4 Canadian teams that have been asking about Richards since July, the Leafs are pushing the hardest. But have to move $$ either Clarkson (good luck there 5M plus ) or Lupul (good player but made of glass, ) to clear salary. Richards is a loaded with Leadership which the leafs desperately need and they'll get a nice return when they trade Kessell and Phanuef this summer. With a new coach who puts him back in the position to succeed , al ess severe system, centering a 2nd or 3rd line with scoring wingers on reg. basis, back on the PP and more PK time, Stabilty, he'll be fine. And he's a great playoff performer, 7-0 in game 7's and only player to be on 2 teams coming back form -0-3 for a reason. He thrives , elevates his game in those critical games, playoffs, OT , game 7's. YOu can't coach or teach that. He'll be fine once he's out of LA

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Another thing is that the Kings are so diligent making big trades. The lead up to the trade for Marian Gaborik becoming a legend, and it only cost them a 2nd, 3rd, and Matt Frattin.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
There were some rumors out there connecting him to Winnipeg. Can't imagine that would go down during the season since the Kings and Jets are on top of each other in the standings.

His fiancé is the only reason of the rumours. He would have no chance to play Jets system.

Last night he was hands down the worst skater from both teams , slow and bumbling the puck, his SO attempt was laughable. I love the guy, but with his contract he could be as hard to move as VInny and Clarkson. Kings ****ed up by not using a compliance when they had the chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad