Would you be willing to endure 2 - 1/2 years of...

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Only 2 and a half years of being a dumpster fire to get 3 young, high end players? Yes please.

Then the Wings can load up on free agents and trades while those young guys are still on cheap contracts and hopefully make some runs at the Cup.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
The Wings finishing bottom 3 and getting Lafreniere, Raty and Shane Wright, or similar high end talent?

Or do you want to see immediate results via free agents and trades?
I don't see any combination of realistic free agent signings and trades that would make this team a contender. We basically don't have a choice but to suck for the next few years.

Reactions: BinCookin

MabusIncarnate

May 20, 2013
Tennessee
I was more annoyed with trying to squeeze into playoffs and getting eliminated in the first round, then I am now watching this last place team. I'd pick being patient and giving it a couple years for sure, and only entertain trades and signings if it helps the future. I don't want any mid 30's vet signings with the current state of this team.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
We've got this year. And probably 2 more anticipated years without playoffs. Let's just lock that in now.

What I think Yzerman will do starting this off-season is look to make signings and trades that set the team up for the playoffs in that window. So, as an example, while signing a guy like Krug might feel meaningless for next year, the goal would be to have a defender in their early 30s as the Wings prospects transition to full-time NHLers.

So no, I don't want immediate results. But also, this team won't magically be "ready" and then you add all the free agents and trades in one fell swoop. Players become available as they become available, not when you're "ready." You get the guys that make sense, when you get a chance. Krugs don't pop up every off-season. Particularly those that would actually want to sign in Detroit. Our blueline the last decade is very much evidence of that.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Does that high end talent get us Stanley Cups? How many?

Do trades and free agents get us Stanley Cups faster? How many?

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
LOL I'm a Canucks fan 2.5 years is nothing I've been waiting 38 years since becoming a fan. If the goal is to win the Cup 2.5 years is nothing as long as the fans support the team and the owner can survive without the playoff revenue. Once your a contender the revenue is way more anyway playing more then just the first round. Pretty sure Hockey Town would be fine sucking for another year or two to get back to former heights.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm with @MabusIncarnate , @Bench , and others who have mentioned that this team is likely to be pretty bad regardless of what we do and it's best to, well, not embrace it but to just deal with it. at the same time, I don't really see a point in being a tire fire for 82 games. Yeah, the odds are better that they will end up with 1oa, but they aren't good enough to really make me embrace it. And I'm entirely fine with signing guys for a year if we plan on turning around and dealing them off at the TDL, or signing them for a couple of years to give us the wiggle room to deal off a bigger current piece (like AA).

I expect this team to be a bottom5 team again next year, there are just too many issues to be fixed, but there's no real reason to be historically bad.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I expect this team to be a bottom5 team again next year, there are just too many issues to be fixed, but there's no real reason to be historically bad.

It's pretty clear this season was throw Flip and Nemeth out there and hope it's passable. Ah shoot, it wasn't. Injuries haven't helped, that's for sure, but still we all knew this team was going to be bad. Hard to imagine there's not at least 2 significant moves this off-season. If we go into next year having only added our draft picks and a couple vets on 2 x $3 million deals... oh boy. Strap in.

Reactions: Lil Bert

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
It's pretty clear this season was throw Flip and Nemeth out there and hope it's passable. Ah shoot, it wasn't. Injuries haven't helped, that's for sure, but still we all knew this team was going to be bad. Hard to imagine there's not at least 2 significant moves this off-season. If we go into next year having only added our draft picks and a couple vets on 2 x $3 million deals... oh boy. Strap in.

We were a very bad team on paper from day one. We are a historically bad team on account of injuries and goaltending. If your goal is to avoid being historically bad, just take care of those two things. I too think there will be two moves this offseason, I just don't know how significant they will be. There is no one in the system not already in Detroit who I expect to be impactful at the NHL level next year. In terms of draft eligibles, I can only see one player in the class having a consistent impact and even he isn't going to step in as a 50+ point player with this team.

There is a reason that the Titanic hit the iceberg. We will be very bad for 3-4 more years at a minimum. Not historically bad, but still at or near the bottom of the standings.

Reactions: Winger98 and Bench

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
The Wings finishing bottom 3 and getting Lafreniere, Raty and Shane Wright, or similar high end talent?

Or do you want to see immediate results via free agents and trades?
If this only takes 2 1/2 half years I'll be ecstatic.

I really don't want to see an effort at immediate results. That would be insane

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
We were a very bad team on paper from day one. We are a historically bad team on account of injuries and goaltending. If your goal is to avoid being historically bad, just take care of those two things.

I think there's some fantastic goalies available via trade or free agency. If Yzerman doesn't snag one, I'm going to be seriously disappointed.

Or...

and hear me out...

draft one...

Top 5?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think there's some fantastic goalies available via trade or free agency. If Yzerman doesn't snag one, I'm going to be seriously disappointed.

Or...

and hear me out...

draft one...

Top 5?

RtCT.gif

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Or...

and hear me out...

draft one...

Top 5?

Mommy taught me never to trust a goalie.

On a more serious note, say we did draft Askarov as you suggest, how many years away from being an NHL starter (say 50+ games per year) do you see him? What I find most perplexing about these discussions about the relevancy timeframe is that having access to really good draftees is only one part of the equation. Even when you draft high, there is no guarantee that these kids will be productive NHL players in their D+2 or even D+3 seasons. They may be on NHL rosters, but as we know, that is much different than being productive at the NHL level.

Reactions: Winger98

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
The Wings will be bad until you fix the D. Which depending on how you handle this off season may not take as long as you think.

Say you add Krug, bring up Seider, and get a healthy DD.

Hronek-DD
Krug-Nemeth
Seider-Cholo/Ufa

That isn't a terrible D and has a dman on each pair that is able to complete a pass. That helps your goalie and offense a ton.

Now I don't expect a playoff team with that but I don't think we are bottom 2 either.

Bert-Lark-Mantha
Zadina-Ras-Fabbri
Laf-Flip-Smith
Abby-Glen-UFA

Isn't terrible if you have guys that can move the puck up. We don't have the high end talent but that is a team that could be deadly in transition and good at getting dirty goals. Also this assumes AA, Helm, and Bowey are traded or let go. Nielson dumped in the minors.

Reactions: jkutswings

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
The Wings will be bad until you fix the D. Which depending on how you handle this off season may not take as long as you think.

Hronek-DD
Krug-Nemeth
Seider-Cholo/Ufa

That isn't a terrible D and has a dman on each pair that is able to complete a pass. That helps your goalie and offense a ton.

Now I don't expect a playoff team with that but I don't think we are bottom 2 either.

Bert-Lark-Mantha
Zadina-Ras-Fabbri
Laf-Flip-Smith
Abby-Glen-UFA

Isn't terrible if you have guys that can move the puck up. We don't have the high end talent but that is a team that could be deadly in transition and good at getting dirty goals. Also this assumes AA, Helm, and Bowey are traded or let go. Nielson dumped in the minors.

Idk man our offense is just as bad

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California

Hronek-DD
Krug-Nemeth
Seider-Cholo/Ufa

Bert-Lark-Mantha
Zadina-Ras-Fabbri
Laf-Flip-Smith
Abby-Glen-UFA

In this scenario who is AA traded for? I dont see any new additions other than UFA's

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
im not on board with allowing the team to struggle that long . at same time i wouldnt trade futures or large long term cap space spent on a old ufa for short term help . but ide be after help to improve next years team with a signing like lehner . and maybe that swede dman on chicago . both are young enough to matter come 2022/23 when i want to be trouble in the playoffs , and if younger ufa replacments pop up trade these guys for futures out there in 2024 . so if i can get these guys i do it knowing theyll improve record right away and because theyll also be sort of long term help , PLUS make the team happier to be more competitive instead of being marched on every nite which is not good for the organization . and maybe krug being that hes only played 550 games might be a good long term add . the key is not handing out too long of term , ide rather pay top dollar shorter term , and not handing out no trade clauses that last too long .

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Hronek-DD
Krug-Nemeth
Seider-Cholo/Ufa

Bert-Lark-Mantha
Zadina-Ras-Fabbri
Laf-Flip-Smith
Abby-Glen-UFA

X-Hronek
Dekeyser-Seider

If we have Hronek and Seider in our top 4 next year, I will at least live with watching them mature and grow together. We just need to bring someone in on the left side to log minutes and bump Dekeyser down. Whether that is Brodie/Krug, or someone we get via trade, I don't care. But I think that is a hole we have to address this off-season. The other hole likely being 2nd line center.

Lafreniere or Byfield change our whole roster building approach, because I think they stop onto the team in a top 6 capacity next year. Anyone else, and we are probably a few years away from the giving ups an impact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad