Speculation: Would you be okay with Detroit moving back to the Western conference?

Would you be okay with the Red Wings moving back West?

• Total voters

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I don't understand a fan perspective that basically says, "I acknowledge this would hurt the team, even decrease their chances of winning a Cup, but since I'd get to watch more [live] games, I'm in favor of [thing]." For me, that's a big fat nope. Nope, nope, nope. If it guaranteed the Wings a Cup, I'd choose an option where I didn't get to watch a single live game. That's where my fandom is at, and has always been. Increase the Wings chances, and whatever fallout exists in terms of my viewership opportunities, so be it. The rest of ya'll disgust me :laugh:

In short, absolutely not would I be ok with the Wings moving back to the West. Burn in hell.

IJIlbul.jpg

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
First of all, moving back to WC would hurt the team when it comes to travelling, especially during the playoffs and long series before an eventual SCF.

Secondly, I live in Norway, and games usually starts 1:00 or 1:30 am.

Hard pass from me.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
Hard pass. The travel schedule and time difference issues with away games almost all being played in a different time zone is a big negative. I also like that 4 of the original 6 are in the same division, gives us some good historic rivalry action even with the loss of Chicago and Colorado games.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't understand a fan perspective that basically says, "I acknowledge this would hurt the team, even decrease their chances of winning a Cup, but since I'd get to watch more [live] games, I'm in favor of [thing]." For me, that's a big fat nope. Nope, nope, nope. If it guaranteed the Wings a Cup, I'd choose an option where I didn't get to watch a single live game. That's where my fandom is at, and has always been. Increase the Wings chances, and whatever fallout exists in terms of my viewership opportunities, so be it. The rest of ya'll disgust me :laugh:

In short, absolutely not would I be ok with the Wings moving back to the West. Burn in hell.

well, the wings won four cups in the western conference in the last 25 years. Their record in the East hasn't been quite as stellar.

Reactions: r0bert8841

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Detroit might be a playoff team in the western conference.

We would be a playoff team if playing at weak Pacific Division.

But that's not reality, it's always the Central where we would go, and that Division is still a grinding battle, just like Metropolitan Division at East.

Not gonna be any more easier if re-joining Central.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Absolutely not and more importantly the Ilitch family won't.

I really don't see any scenario where the league goes back to Quebec City, if they do it would almost certainly have to be Eastern relocation. There are a group of teams you can expect to vote in a block to protect each others interests. Toronto, Buffalo, Detroit, Montreal, and Columbus will politic against it behind closed doors. Why anger 5 of your club members for somebody on the outside. To say nothing of Houston appears to be well ahead of every other market on the NHL's radar and makes more sense in a board room.

What does Quebec City bring to the group of 31 owners that would decide this? TSN can run whatever pieces they want, if I am an Owner and actually want another Canadian market to be forced on owners that will be opposed (I would be surprised if they actually do) Toronto 2 makes more sense to the bottom line and you can stick them in the West as a condition of the franchise and help stagger games away from the Leafs to help maximize the largest market in the league.

The Ilitch family was promised the East for years, they aren't handing that back over.

Reactions: SoupNazi

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Scenario: theyd obviously be in the Central division, replacing Arizona who moves to Quebec (just to set the precedent for the question)

Ive seen the rumor of Houston but that doesn't include the Red Wings so, for the sake of the thread, I chose Quebec

Would you, as a Detroit fan, be okay with the Red Wings moving back to the Western conference?

Houston gets a team long before Quebec. You're talking about the 4th largest TV market in the US. The owner of the Rockets has his own rink, and has expressed deep interest. That arena could be at 50% attendance every night, and they'd still out-earn Quebec by miles with TV revenue.

There is no possibility of Quebec getting a team ahead of Houston, the NHL is all about the $$$ and growth, not dedicated fans in tiny markets that love hockey no matter what.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
the travel is easier on the wings in the east, but I'd get to watch more games if they were in the west, so I'd be entirely okay with it.

This is my life too. I see more of the West Coast teams than I ever see the Wings cuz we have young kids and when I'm getting them down for bed the Wings games are nearly over. I enjoy watching other teams just as much as I enjoy watching the Wings so I don't usually bother with recording the Wings games and avoiding social media. I'd love it if the Wings were out west but I know I'm in the minority.

Reactions: Winger98

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Houston gets a team long before Quebec. You're talking about the 4th largest TV market in the US. The owner of the Rockets has his own rink, and has expressed deep interest. That arena could be at 50% attendance every night, and they'd still out-earn Quebec by miles with TV revenue.

Maybe I missed those comments, but the comments I saw from Fertitta were a lot more apathetic about it. He said they'd welcome the team but they're not going to get into a bidding war, they'd only be interested for the right price. Didn't really sound excited about it. I think he understands the NHL needs Houston a lot more than Houston needs the NHL though.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

There is no possibility of Quebec getting a team ahead of Houston, the NHL is all about the $$$ and growth, not dedicated fans in tiny markets that love hockey no matter what.
Agreed.

Bettman talking about Quebec is likely just theater. Probably as a strategy or threat for something going on with the Coyotes.

If there were ever going to be another team in Canada it seems like it would be a second team in the greater Toronto Area.

Reactions: avssuc

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Dont know if anyone has mentioned this already but....f*** that

Just to expand on this thought a little bit. I'm done with 10:30 playoff games. 2008 (or maybe 09), the closest team to them the wings played was the Pens in the finals. f*** that

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
This is my life too. I see more of the West Coast teams than I ever see the Wings cuz we have young kids and when I'm getting them down for bed the Wings games are nearly over. I enjoy watching other teams just as much as I enjoy watching the Wings so I don't usually bother with recording the Wings games and avoiding social media. I'd love it if the Wings were out west but I know I'm in the minority.

same, except lately I don't watch the west coast teams, either. I just go to bed. I'm old and I'm tired. :wally

Reactions: Sparty

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
View attachment 486729

That being said, I don’t see it happening. But I wouldn’t past the owners to cave for a price.

They don't bring more money to the owners than Houston, Portland or other cities. If you're talking expansion of four more markets, might they be the last one and would they have more pressure to meet a 600 million dollar price? Maybe, but what is being proposed is a relocation. As a market the NHL has control over the Quebec market. Yes there are a pocket of fans that won't watch because of the move, but by in large it is a market that already watches. They don't need a team in tiny Quebec City. It isn't attractive to the billionaires that make these decisions. Could they change their mind? I mean I guess if there was evidence to persuade them. But I really doubt it.

If the NHL wants more money, there are a lot better ideas than entering Quebec City. Same to you Hartford, which has roughly 500,000 more people than Quebec City in the metro area and better corporate partners. I see nothing to suggest Quebec City is viable as a location to Ownership. If the Yotes move Houston makes the most sense by a lot from an ownership standpoint and is what I would expect to see. I am not sure they leave Arizona though.

Reactions: SoupNazi

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
well, the wings won four cups in the western conference in the last 25 years. Their record in the East hasn't been quite as stellar.

BURN IN HELL. No but seriously, if the argument is that they are better off in the West, in terms of chances of winning, then ok. I don't buy that argument, I think there's a lot of context that needs to be considered in regards to what you just posted here, but if that's the argument then at least you're coming from a place that I can respect :naughty: :laugh: ;)

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
BURN IN HELL. No but seriously, if the argument is that they are better off in the West, in terms of chances of winning, then ok. I don't buy that argument, I think there's a lot of context that needs to be considered in regards to what you just posted here, but if that's the argument then at least you're coming from a place that I can respect :naughty: :laugh: ;)

Maybe they're just more likely to win if I can more easily watch. I mean, I have a pretty good track record there. Better than the Maple Leafs for the last 50+ years.

Reactions: SoupNazi and jaster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad