Speculation: Would you be okay with Detroit moving back to the Western conference?

Would you be okay with the Red Wings moving back West?

• Total voters

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
Scenario: theyd obviously be in the Central division, replacing Arizona who moves to Quebec (just to set the precedent for the question)

Ive seen the rumor of Houston but that doesn't include the Red Wings so, for the sake of the thread, I chose Quebec

Would you, as a Detroit fan, be okay with the Red Wings moving back to the Western conference?

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
Arizona is moving to Houston.

Quebec will never get a team.
Perhaps! But since the possibility is out there I figured a thread to ask was appropriate (Bettman meeting with Quebec premier's)

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I just have too many awful memories of playoff series starting at 10:00pm and then going into double overtime. It was excruciating. We matched up with like the Ducks or San Jose every gosh darned season.

When you are in college its one thing but when you are getting up at 5am for work the next day its another.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I’m in Texas so it’s a yes from me. I also say yes because the west is weaker. 4 of the 6 best teams (on paper) are in the east. Plus a few other up and coming squads like the Rangers, and Washington is perpetually good to great.

Detroit might be a playoff team in the western conference.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
No way. Most fans want as many games in prime-time as possible. Plus it's too many miles of travel for the team.

Columbus sits like a mile or less east of Detroit, but I think Nationwide Arena is slightly to the west of Little Caesar's Arena if you want to be technical. And because Columbus is more centrally located in terms of north and south, the Blue Jackets would travel fewer miles than the Red Wings in the Western Conference.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
With all due respect to those on the West Coast...

chi-mc-bride-oh-hell-no.gif

If I live another 50 years and never watch another 10:30pm start, I'd be just fine with that.

Stay in the East at all costs.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
No way. Most fans want as many games in prime-time as possible. Plus it's too many miles of travel for the team.

Columbus sits like a mile or less east of Detroit, but I think Nationwide Arena is slightly to the west of Little Caesar's Arena if you want to be technical. And because Columbus is more centrally located in terms of north and south, the Blue Jackets would travel fewer miles than the Red Wings in the Western Conference.

Not to mention the Wings were here 1st (7yo logic). I believe we have the 1st right of refusal.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I don't think it will come to that anyway. I mean 32 teams is mathematically perfect for a of two conferences and 16 teams in the playoffs. It's a great number for the system the NHL has been running.

I was thinking that, if anything, the NHL would add two more franchises out west, and then add two more in the east - expand responsibly. I don't think they will shift teams from the eastern time zone out west because it hurts ratings.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I don't understand a fan perspective that basically says, "I acknowledge this would hurt the team, even decrease their chances of winning a Cup, but since I'd get to watch more [live] games, I'm in favor of [thing]." For me, that's a big fat nope. Nope, nope, nope. If it guaranteed the Wings a Cup, I'd choose an option where I didn't get to watch a single live game. That's where my fandom is at, and has always been. Increase the Wings chances, and whatever fallout exists in terms of my viewership opportunities, so be it. The rest of ya'll disgust me :laugh:

In short, absolutely not would I be ok with the Wings moving back to the West. Burn in hell.

Reactions: newfy and 14ari13

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
In short, no. In not so short, absolutely not. More games in the western conference means more games that begin at 10 pm EST. Also, when, Detroit is ready to compete again, having insane playoff travel schedules is going to be an issue again.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I would like West because Chicago, Colorado, St Louis, Anaheim, and others would be back on the menu.

I would not like the west because of ludicrously scheduled games for an EST located team

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Moot point until more than "sources" comes to light. Double moot point that Wings wanted to move East. They won't move West. If there is a re-alignment someone else would be bumped.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad