Confirmed with Link: Locker Room Exit Interviews Monday May 6 (Players and Keefe) + Pelley/Shanny/Tre on Friday VIDEO LINK PG 57

Will Keefe be fired next week?

• Yes

Votes: 293 85.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 14.1%

• Total voters

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I am not that interested in Berube and just running it back for the 9th straight year. Berube doesn't seem like that great of a coach to me. So he won the cup one year, what's he done after that? I wish Q was an option because he has an actual track record of consistent success. Berube does nothing to me. It's just another guy. Is he gonna elevate the same group and do something different? I doubt it.

I mean just look at Bruce Cassidy and Paul Maurice. Cassidy couldn't get out of the first or 2nd round, won the cup the next year. What did Paul Maurice do since his Carolina days? He toiletted terrible teams for awhile, including the Leafs. And look at him now. Rick Tocchet had ONE single playoff round to his resume in 7 years of coaching between TBL and Arizona before turning to being a TV analyst for years... He's doing pretty well right now.

It isn't always about team success. Coaches are at the mercy of their team and management. Everyone says he's a very well liked person and coach. He developed a lot of players and has been in the game for a long time. And to excuse his cup ring like it doesn't matter or he didn't earn it is wild.

If Berube isn't your cup of tea, that's fine. But Quenneville isn't coaching in the NHL and certainly not the Leafs. The other names right now are pretty terrible. So you either go completely left field or take a chance on a Junior coach again, go for Woodcroft or someone like that, or go with the experienced guy.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I'm guessing it has something to do with preparing a united front at the management level, as opposed to last year when the GM went rogue.
Say what you want about Treliving, I have zero concern that he'd go off script and start publicly airing out doubts for his interest in the job. I don't think any other GM in the league is that much of a weasel

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Genuinely, I don't get how people still get hyped up to watch these bums. One of the four shows up in the playoffs (Nylander), Keefe is a bum coach. Even with the latter being stated, that doesn't excuse Marner being legitimately garbage when the games matter and Matthews refusing to find another gear in the playoffs. Stop comparing these guys to legit superstars like Kucherov, Mackinnon, McDavid etc. Those guys actually look good in the playoffs, you know, when the games matter.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I mean just look at Bruce Cassidy and Paul Maurice. Cassidy couldn't get out of the first or 2nd round, won the cup the next year. What did Paul Maurice do since his Carolina days? He toiletted terrible teams for awhile, including the Leafs. And look at him now. Rick Tocchet had ONE single playoff round to his resume in 7 years of coaching between TBL and Arizona before turning to being a TV analyst for years... He's doing pretty well right now.

It isn't always about team success. Coaches are at the mercy of their team and management. Everyone says he's a very well liked person and coach. He developed a lot of players and has been in the game for a long time. And to excuse his cup ring like it doesn't matter or he didn't earn it is wild.

If Berube isn't your cup of tea, that's fine. But Quenneville isn't coaching in the NHL and certainly not the Leafs. The other names right now are pretty terrible. So you either go completely left field or take a chance on a Junior coach again, go for Woodcroft or someone like that, or go with the experienced guy.

Ok that's fine, but don't just bring in Berube and think he is just going to make the team a top contender without any other major changes.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Ok that's fine, but don't just bring in Berube and think he is just going to make the team a top contender without any other major changes.

You can say that about any coach though. Like yeah, seems pretty obvious. Quenneville isn't a god either.

We need a coach, he's probably the more intriguing option right now. Maybe that changes, I don't know.

jgs

Oct 24, 2019
The Bruins were very lucky in this game seven win, they didn't deserve to win this series. For the leafs Keefe is a good coach but some reason he just cannot get this team to play at that next level that is needed to win in the playoffs. This team has talent. I would bring Berube he has won the Cup as a coach and is ano nosense type of coach that demands the best from his players.

Reactions: arso40

Osmows OReilly

Jun 26, 2022
Who replaces Shanahan as president? Also, if you're firing Shanahan you might as well fire Treliving if they're cleaning house. Unless of course the new president and Treliving have similar philosophy.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Meh, pointless cliches said at an end of season presser don't do much for me

Just want to know who's getting fired and who's getting traded really

**** Q or Berube, I'd like Everson, he did a lot with **** all in Minnesota

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I'm not as angry this time around for some reason, maybe because I liked the character of the team more. We didn't seem far away this time, I don't have the pitchfork mentality.

We need a new voice, a better goalie tandem and another D man that can chew minutes AND move a puck. Couple trades and tweaks, I'm happy. Blow it up is nonsense at this point to me, this team is actually close, raw emotions aside. I liked a lot of what I saw, we have some warriors to build around too.

jgs

Oct 24, 2019
I think the problem with the Leafs is that the core players act like they are so good that they get to dictate how the team should play and from what I see they haven't come close to earning that right. The Leafs need a coach that will give this core a real good reality check. It doesn't matter how good Matthews, Mariner, Nylander, Tavarse are they haven't done squat because at the end of the day it is all about winning the Cup and not individual stats.

Reactions: arso40

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Watch it just be Keith Pelley and nobody else.

Shanaplan is done, Keefe is a Dubasite and needs to go and Treliving needs to hire his own coach.

Fun bet - how long before Dubas hires Keefe in Pittsburgh?
Pens assistant coach replacement?

I'm not as angry this time around for some reason, maybe because I liked the character of the team more. We didn't seem far away this time, I don't have the pitchfork mentality.

We need a new voice, a better goalie tandem and another D man that can chew minutes AND move a puck. Couple trades and tweaks, I'm happy. Blow it up is nonsense at this point to me, this team is actually close, raw emotions aside. I liked a lot of what I saw, we have some warriors to build around too.
Removing a core piece or two (JT and Marner) could be considered blowing it up.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I agree with most of the sentiment here in that Pelley needs to be the only one addressing the media on Thursday announcing that both the President of Hockey Ops and the coach have been relieved of their duty. We thank them for their service and that's all. Express how this organization needs to be better for the fans and the history of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Don't throw any players under the bus just work in the shadows and address the deficiencies of the team.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
fwiw keith pelley admitted he is going to take 5 months to get acclimated in his role and mentioned he a had a great conversation with shanahan and that he was "spectacular" and highly competitive. This was also on bob mccowan podcast just last week - dont think he needed to go out of his way to say those things on a podcast not many ppl watch.

my guess is shanny stays another year since thats how long he has left. Tre is their GM who will look to re-work the roster.

But ... if the MLSE board has had enough of Shanny, I can see them saying enough is enough and just lay the hammer.

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
I honestly think the biggest chunk of red meat that's going to get thrown out there this spring/summer is Keefe sent packing (that, I'm 99.97% sure will happen). I think the core changes come next year when the obvious two come off the books. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, just how I think this will play out.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007

I hear you, but how can it not be a concern that our team built around a small group of high-skill forwards was so anemic offensively? And it's not a one-off, they always underperform and fail to deliver in big games.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
All these are nothing until real change happens.
They can say whatever they want….but at the end of the day, let’s see the roster comes opening night.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I don’t think I can watch another season ending presser where they blather on about how close they were and they are right but got some bad luck.bla bla bla.
Why don’t they just skulk away like they played the game

We also need some stars that can score in the playoffs. That would help. I don’t think another year of tinkering around the edges will result in any better outcome. Just my opinion

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
No one should accept whatever excuses or cliches they trot out. Nothing matters except results at this point.

Reactions: HolyCrap

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I hear you, but how can it not be a concern that our team built around a small group of high-skill forwards was so anemic offensively? And it's not a one-off, they always underperform and fail to deliver in big games.

Which of our forwards is small and has a lot of skill? Marner and Robertson I guess?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad