Would you accept Filatov back on an AHL contract, tryout or otherwise?

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I voted maybe, show he can play the right way in the KHL. Everyone should have an opportunity to earn another chance. This coming from someone who got more than a second chance.

IBleedUnionBlue

Aug 16, 2009
No ill feelings towards him, wish him well, but there are plenty of other teams out there for him to get a try-out with.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
OK. Those of you voting yes..Why? What good does this do aside from him taking up a locker spot from one of our prospects, and taking an opportunity away from one of them? He's flamed out in Russia too, its not like he's doing stuff over there to warrant coming back. Best case scenario is he works himself a contract to be on the AHL team..What does this even do for us?

Johnny Jacket

Jun 17, 2014
Maybe an expansion team will give him a shot at a spot. Throw him up against the wall and see if he sticks.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
OK. Those of you voting yes..Why? What good does this do aside from him taking up a locker spot from one of our prospects, and taking an opportunity away from one of them? He's flamed out in Russia too, its not like he's doing stuff over there to warrant coming back. Best case scenario is he works himself a contract to be on the AHL team..What does this even do for us?

People love the idea of of a Hollywood-ending story. Maybe the Jackets should offer Legein and Brule a tryout as well.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I have no issue signing him to an AHL contract; something like Hjeda did. If he does well, give him a two-way deal. Not a big deal. Seems like he's grown up a bit and that was my issue with him, he was very immature.

We have some weird hate for the guy going on here.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

If he can play, he deserves it. If he can't, he won't be offered a contract. I wouldn't worry about his impact on the lockerroom. Let the on-ice results speak for themselves.

I don't particularly care about redemption or anything. He has shown at one point that he had the skill, just lacked the motivation to succeed. If he still has a bit of that skill, then he's a valuable asset we would pick up for free.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
If he can play, he deserves it. If he can't, he won't be offered a contract. I wouldn't worry about his impact on the lockerroom. Let the on-ice results speak for themselves.

This didn't answer my question. What warrants him even getting an opportunity? He's been bad in the KHL for years. He hasn't played in North America in years. His pedigree as an extremely talented high first round pick is gone. All he's done is say his bad for mistakes he made as a kid. Fine, we all make mistakes as kids. Learn and live on. Doesn't mean he deserves a chance.

A comparable I can think of is Johnny Manziel. What if he apologizes for his mistakes in 2-3 years while playing badly/OK in the CFL or other football league. Would he deserve another chance in Cleveland?

major major

Feb 18, 2013

It's a tryout! It doesn't take away a spot for someone else unless he's actually turning it around and steals a job. In that case, of course we want him. It's either more talent for the AHL club (a good thing, given that so many of the Monsters will be on waivers or in the NHL soon - Sedlak for example is no longer waiver exempt), or an outside shot at a return to the NHL.

It has nothing to do with a former Jacket. Just if the guy wants to do a tryout here, then we have nothing to lose.

This didn't answer my question. What warrants him even getting an opportunity? He's been bad in the KHL for years. He hasn't played in North America in years. His pedigree as an extremely talented high first round pick is gone. All he's done is say his bad for mistakes he made as a kid. Fine, we all make mistakes as kids. Learn and live on. Doesn't mean he deserves a chance.

I doubt you've actually considered the kinds of players that get tryouts with AHL teams. His KHL flameout year was still probably better than most of the years of the other kids getting tryouts.

I really have no idea how to engage with this mindset - "Doesn't mean he deserves a chance". Of course he deserves a chance. Would you take his skates away for life for being a snotty kid when he was younger?

I know you wouldn't say yes to that. But I have to wonder, unless you think an AHL tryout is some kind of special privilege.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
It's a tryout! It doesn't take away a spot for someone else unless he's actually turning it around and steals a job. In that case, of course we want him. It's either more talent for the AHL club (a good thing, given that so many of the Monsters will be on waivers or in the NHL soon - Sedlak for example is no longer waiver exempt), or an outside shot at a return to the NHL.

It has nothing to do with a former Jacket. Just if the guy wants to do a tryout here, then we have nothing to lose.

I doubt you've actually considered the kinds of players that get tryouts with AHL teams. His KHL flameout year was still probably better than most of the years of the other kids getting tryouts.

I really have no idea how to engage with this mindset - "Doesn't mean he deserves a chance". Of course he deserves a chance. Would you take his skates away for life for being a snotty kid when he was younger?

I know you wouldn't say yes to that. But I have to wonder, unless you think an AHL tryout is some kind of special privilege.

No. I'm just saying he isn't worth the time or the effort to even consider. Our AHL team is fine as is. Have the kids run the show with veterans who lead the way. Unless Filatov has grown leadership skills, it's not worth it. He seems content in the KHL and should stay there. If he wants to come over and give it a shot to revive his career, then fine, but not with Columbus. Jarmo and co value two things above all, character and hockey IQ. Both in which Filatov has lacked his entire career. One interview admitting mistakes doesn't change this.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Voted no for several reasons.. It's not out of any illwill towards him, I just don't see much use.
1. It's not like he is lighting the KHL up and there's like no NHL chance with him anymore.
2. I'm sure we could find a player of his caliber off the free agent market as it is to sign with our AHL team if need be. I like the veterans we have in Cleveland as it is. This one article doesn't necessarily make him a high quality leadership guy to help mentor our prospects
3. Our AHL team is 1 game away from winning the Calder Cup. I think it's fair to say we have a good team there right now as it is.
4. What is the point in having him fly over from Russia to Cleveland just for an AHL tryout? I don't think he deserves more than that right now. I think it's much easier just to find someone from U.S. or Canada. Just keep working in the KHL

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I have no issue signing him to an AHL contract; something like Hjeda did. If he does well, give him a two-way deal. Not a big deal. Seems like he's grown up a bit and that was my issue with him, he was very immature.

We have some weird hate for the guy going on here.

this...not saying a 1 way deal and put in on Wennberg's wing, but the kid had serious talent, no real reason why we shouldn't give it a go and make him earn it

The Four Seven

You encountered Negative Man!
Feb 3, 2009
Central Ohio
Voted no; kicked my puppy once and set my grandma on fire. He's literally made of ammonia mixed with bleach and everyone near him suffocates.

(Actually voted maybe. If all we're talking about here is a low/no-risk tryout — provisionally, after showing he can hang in the KHL — then I don't really see the problem. If he doesn't pass muster there, then we don't really lose out.)

Last edited:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

A comparable I can think of is Johnny Manziel. What if he apologizes for his mistakes in 2-3 years while playing badly/OK in the CFL or other football league. Would he deserve another chance in Cleveland?
His draft pedigree alone warrants an AHL tryout. Any guy taken in the top-10 within the past 10 years should get an AHL tryout on that fact alone, if they are willing.

Again, it is no cost to give the player a tryout.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
His draft pedigree alone warrants an AHL tryout. Any guy taken in the top-10 within the past 10 years should get an AHL tryout on that fact alone, if they are willing.

Again, it is no cost to give the player a tryout.

If that's the case I guess Hugh Jessiman can come with him to the AHL camp along with a ton of other NHL first round busts. Daigle still play?

No, it is no cost. But it's not worth the time. He sucks in the KHL. Why would it be different? If he had the stats to warrant a chance over there then I'd be open to it, but that's not the case.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
If that's the case I guess Hugh Jessiman can come with him to the AHL camp along with a ton of other NHL first round busts. Daigle still play?

No, it is no cost. But it's not worth the time. He sucks in the KHL. Why would it be different? If he had the stats to warrant a chance over there then I'd be open to it, but that's not the case.

Jessimen and Daigle were both top-10 picks from more than 10 years ago. I recognize there's a time component, but at 26 Filatov would be in his prime physically and have more years to potentially give.

I don't deny that his play in the KHL hasn't been stellar. That's why we're talking about an AHL try-out agreement rather than the NHL. If he "had the stats" then a team would sign him to an NHL contract similar to Chicago and Panarin.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Keep in mind that AHL rosters are unlimited, so he wouldn't be taking a roster spot away from anyone.

AHL PTOs are pretty much no-risk. Only concern is the influence he would be on the prospects.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Keep in mind that AHL rosters are unlimited, so he wouldn't be taking a roster spot away from anyone.

AHL PTOs are pretty much no-risk. Only concern is the influence he would be on the prospects.

I'm pretty sure our kids would look at him as a cautionary tale of what happens when you don't listen to your elders. It's not like they want to end up like him.

And I of course agree that AHL PTO's are no privilege.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
3. Our AHL team is 1 game away from winning the Calder Cup. I think it's fair to say we have a good team there right now as it is.

If you're going to go as young as we go with Lake Erie you have to kind of rebuild the team every year.

Anderson, Werenski, Bjorkstrand will be in the NHL. Sedlak loses his waiver exemption so if he's still playing like this he'll have to be traded or lost on waivers. Kukan, Zaar, and Hannikainen are close to pushing for NHL jobs and are close to losing waiver exemption. And I have doubts that we can keep Rychel down there another year.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
One of the reasons I'd bring him back for an AHL tryout would be to just disprove the point that CBJ ruins prospects. Filatov being far more public about the fact it was his fault his NHL career struggled, he should have listened to Hitch and so forth helps disprove that.

When attempting to sign free agent prospects from Europe or the NCAA, what do the Jackets have to offer? Stanley Cup winning tradition? Playoff wins? Large payroll? Nothing really, but a long string of high draft picks that haven't panned out that it looks like the team cannot develop talent and high end talent wants to leave. Why would anyone want to sign? Maybe Filatov doesn't change that, but if he could turn things around, it'd be nice step in the direction.

I'm not sure what exactly happened last season in the KHL. Maybe some of our Russian posters can help explain. It really can't be fun being in debt or having gambling issues in Russia the way those teams are run. He had two seasons in Ufa where he was progressing and word was developing his defensive game. Then the next two seasons were a free-fall.

“When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change”

If Filatov still has the talent and his personal problems were a distraction, then maybe he could be NHL talent again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad