Would you accept Filatov back on an AHL contract, tryout or otherwise?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So as folks may have already heard from other threads, Nikita Filatov has spoken up talking about how he had some problematic self-created financial issues and regrets not paying more attention to Hitchcock. At the end of that article, it's also mentioned that he's asked his agent to look into AHL teams that might give him a shot and he's willing to risk not making it if he can't measure up.

Given that, would folks here be willing to give him a second chance in Cleveland?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It's too bad he didn't show more of this self-awareness earlier. But no, I don't want him anywhere near our prospects.
Any particular reason why? He can't show the "right way" to play yet (he'd obviously still be learning himself), but being able to say "dude, I did that, that's bad, don't do that" is still potentially valuable.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I didn't like the "Absolutely" intro but I guess I'd give him a chance. Nothing ventured nothing gained. It would probably become very clear very quickly if he had changed and could cut it in the NHL.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I like what he's said about Hitch recently. He can obviously have a tryout with the monsters. I doubt he'd win a job but some guys really do take longer to learn maturity and many still end up just fine.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
No, because we don't need him. We already have limited spots as it is. If we do have an open spot, I would rather it go to a proven AHL guy who can help Lake Erie continue to win and play the right way.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Any particular reason why? He can't show the "right way" to play yet (he'd obviously still be learning himself), but being able to say "dude, I did that, that's bad, don't do that" is still potentially valuable.

Fool me once...

His words are great and if he can salvage something out of his career, then more power to him. But, it's not like he's been ripping up the KHL to show that he's back on track.

There's good things happening in Lake Erie and I'd rather the organization focus on having prospects like Milano et al make the next step then hoping for a redemption story. That includes having high-character veterans who have consistently shown their dedication to the game (Vogelhuber, Craig, etc). Watching those players' continual commitment to being hard-working professionals is what I want the prospects to observe.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
I voted for Maybe, but I could easily be swayed to Never, skipping right over the middle option all together. I'm like 55/45 on this.

The not really, its a nice story bit, I don't agree with.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Fool me once...

His words are great and if he can salvage something out of his career, then more power to him. But, it's not like he's been ripping up the KHL to show that he's back on track.

There's good things happening in Lake Erie and I'd rather the organization focus on having prospects like Milano et al make the next step then hoping for a redemption story. That includes having high-character veterans who have consistently shown their dedication to the game (Vogelhuber, Craig, etc). Watching those players' continual commitment to being hard-working professionals is what I want the prospects to observe.

Fair enough. I just kind of suspect that Filatov could help w/r/t high profile primadonnas who say "well, yeah, THOSE losers have to work hard, but I'M more talented than that". I admittedly don't think we'd be picking up anyone like that anytime soon, but it'd be nice to be able to take those sorts of risks and have a better chance of seeing them work out. He could be a Developmental Secret Weapon as well as a feel-good story.

I totally get why folks would prefer to just avoid the whole thing, tho. :D

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
It's a no-cost maneuver so sure. That said, Filatov washed out of the KHL last I heard. So his abilities are probably a shadow of what they once were.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
So as folks may have already heard from other threads, Nikita Filatov has spoken up talking about how he had some problematic self-created financial issues and regrets not paying more attention to Hitchcock. At the end of that article, it's also mentioned that he's asked his agent to look into AHL teams that might give him a shot and he's willing to risk not making it if he can't measure up.

Given that, would folks here be willing to give him a second chance in Cleveland?

He was a much nicer guy than Zherdev. I vividly remember the CBJ playing him up as the anti-zherdev (good kid, spoke and continued to learn English, etc).
But the CBJ and his agent also let him down. I know when he first came over to camp he was having to steal Wi-Fi from a neighbor because no one made sure he had cable, wifi, etc. Kid in new town, new country and those responsible for him just let him go (he was living in Zherdev's old place).
But I would give him a shot.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It's a no-cost maneuver so sure. That said, Filatov washed out of the KHL last I heard. So his abilities are probably a shadow of what they once were.
He did spend some time with the VHL but is back in the KHL now; that's mentioned in the article.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
He was a much nicer guy than Zherdev. I vividly remember the CBJ playing him up as the anti-zherdev (good kid, spoke and continued to learn English, etc).
But the CBJ and his agent also let him down. I know when he first came over to camp he was having to steal Wi-Fi from a neighbor because no one made sure he had cable, wifi, etc. Kid in new town, new country and those responsible for him just let him go (he was living in Zherdev's old place).
But I would give him a shot.

Awwww, poor guy.

Voted never.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Took the "not really" stance. I haven't seen him play and am only going by his stats, but they would indicate his once gifted offensive skills and excellent stick handling may have declined correspondingly with his attitude. Will those skills be regained? And is his reflection just him musing about the lost opportunity or accompanied by a new-found discipline needed to succeed?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
He did spend some time with the VHL but is back in the KHL now; that's mentioned in the article.

Good to know. If he's in shape, I could see giving him a shot. Something the article doesn't mention but would be a concern is if Ottawa still retains his rights.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
He would be better off with a different team that lacks depth at forward, but yes I would bring him back.

He's struggled in Russia, even in the second tier league, so he may not actually be more than AHL talent at this point. But the message that the CBJ stand by their draft picks, supports them when their down, and will give guys a seconds chance is something that can send a message to players in Europe considering signing who may be afraid they aren't immediately going to do well. I also wonder what kind of message he would send the prospects, maybe a warning to avoid making the mistakes he did.

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
I feel sorry for him ( I don't know - why), but.. bridge is burned. :cry: I feel sorry too for Prospal. I feel sorry for Dano, for Wiz, for Johansen. I feel sorry for Knutsen and Brittanie Cecil ( rip). Crazy memory :(
Story of team is like story of own life.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
No. Just because he admitted his mistakes doesn't mean he deserves another chance here. If he wants to come to the NHL, I'm sure he could. But not here.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Mostly predictable responses from people who never want to add anybody to the team except the top 50 guys in the league. You would think we were perennial Cup winners/contenders with the allegiance people have to our roster and prospects and draft position.

Guy is probably not going to make it back. but for a cheap tryout deal there is no risk, only upside.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Mostly predictable responses from people who never want to add anybody to the team except the top 50 guys in the league. You would think we were perennial Cup winners/contenders with the allegiance people have to our roster and prospects and draft position.

Guy is probably not going to make it back. but for a cheap tryout deal there is no risk, only upside.

In this case, I think you might be missing a zero. ;)

major major

Feb 18, 2013

I think people are afraid of looking like suckers. Sorry for psychoanalyzing, but there has to be a reason why folks would refuse a tryout deal which is basically free.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think people are afraid of looking like suckers. Sorry for psychoanalyzing, but there has to be a reason why folks would refuse a tryout deal which is basically free.
Back in the elder days I used to refer to this phenomenon as "he's ineffably tainted with horrible failure". I was kind of hoping folks had since learned better. This would be why they keep calling me a hopeless optimist, I guess. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad