Would we have won the Cup with Seth Jones?

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I hope you're right. I want proof not promises. Skilled wingers normally can come in and start producing immediately. Defensemen on the other hand, especially big guys like Jones, take a long time to develop, just like Hedman.

Jones is already a very solid #4. He's ahead of his developmental curve, and looks to be an all everything #1 D once he reaches his ceiling. Drouin will have his work cut out for him if he's going to overtake Jones in my eyes. Not to say Drouin hasn't shown some good stuff himself, I would just easily give the nod to Jones at this point.

Also, OP, Jones wouldn't have had a massive impact in the playoffs as he'd probably be getting the same treatment Kucherov and Drouin received. Replacing Sustr with him, would be a slight upgrade, nothing series changing.

It's definitely some blind optimism on my part. I'm just sick of hearing about we should have drafted Jones. Enough already. It's done and there's no going back. Drouin has just started and hasn't been given the opportunities Jones has. If he busts I'll admit it but so far he hasn't even had the chance to bust.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
The only thing Drouin needs to do offensively is to shoot more, his assist/60 Firstassist/60 were already elite and I mean elite. His future offensive production is the least of my concern, he WILL get many points, but his 2 way game needs to improve if he wants ice time under Cooper.

ya his two way game improved as season went but was more on issues of assignments to me then on his physical ability so im not too concerned the physical ability is thee the kid seems smart so he will make less and less mistakes as he is allowed to play he did make some great not just good plays but occassionally he forgets who he needs to be stopping lol

is 100 kids like that :)

he will work it out im sure I was one guy happy with his play last year he had the jump he had the seperation you know all of us he is danger whenever he is on the puck thats good enough for me

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Easier to teach defense to an offensively gifted player than the other way around, Cooper said that a few weeks back, it also explains why SFY likes these offensive minded, skilled picks.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
will add to what the others said we burned out when lost the triplet factor guys were trying but they were all in we will get deeper and deeper as the years fall down

this team really scares me the deepness that is here and coming just hope they can keep the hunger cause we are legit cup contenders now for many many many years

I agree, Steve Yzerman is doing a heck of a job as GM for Tampa. To be honest, I think our GM Doug Armstrong is way overrated and just doesn't cut it. I could be wrong but I don't think Yzerman has been throwing away his draft picks in the process either. I believe Tampa's got a pipeline of picks and prospects still to come for what is already a young team. Yzerman's been calling the right shots over there that's for sure.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
We have two D prospects coming up (Koekkoe and DeAngelo), we're fine without Jones. Drouin will develop into the player most of us think he will. Give him time, and proper ice time/minutes and watch him shine. Every time he has the puck its always exciting.

saskachewonian

Sep 24, 2014
Saskatchewan
No, and IMO you can't compare a guy who gets minutes behind one of the the top 2 d pairings in the league against Drouin who has not been given a chance to thrive. Cooper Nino Niederridered Drouin this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad