Would we have won the Cup with Seth Jones?

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
If we had Seth Jones, we wouldn't have traded for Coburn, and likely wouldn't have gotten past Detroit IMO.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
How is this a question? No, we dont win the cup with jones. We dont win the cup with anyone other than a healthy johnson and kucherov and without stamkos playing like stamkos. Chicago was the better team. Our defense wasnt the problem. We lost all of the games by 1-2 goals. We just couldnt score. And Im still one of those guys who wanted jones over drouin and Im saying this.

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
I don't get the hard-on people have for Jones. He's a better skating Sustr at this point, and as someone 'might' guess, we don't win a cup with Jones. In fact, we might not get out of the 1st round with Jones.

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
I don't get the hard-on people have for Jones. He's a better skating Sustr at this point, and as someone 'might' guess, we don't win a cup with Jones. In fact, we might not get out of the 1st round with Jones.

I agree, Jones is Sustr if Sustr skated better, shot better, played defense better, played more minutes and passed better.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Unless he magically pulled some goals out of his ass in the final, he'd make no difference at all.

I also don't think he'd develop as well here as he's done so far in Nashville. He would have been fed more minutes and failed a lot more. We might be talking about him as a possible bust if he was here (prematurely, but with the negatrons and chicken littles here? That would be the hot take on HF Tampa for sure).

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
We lost because Chicago was more opportunistic and 2, maybe 3 of our key players were severely injured. We'll need Drouin more than a Seth Jones in the future, the kid is going to produce offensively because he's already done that in his rookie year with limit ice time., it's pretty great we drafted Jo.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
I think we would be better next season with Jones over Drouin certainly.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I think we would be better next season with Jones over Drouin certainly.

I have a feeling Drouin will make everyone forget about Jones pretty rapidly as the latter stagnates into just being a good defenseman on a Preds team that never goes anywhere while the former lights it up next to Stamkos on deep playoff runs.

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
I agree, Jones is Sustr if Sustr skated better, shot better, played defense better, played more minutes and passed better.

Sure, although Jones isn't that much of upgrade on Sustr defensively, they're overager vs a 4th overall pick, Jones is bound to be better at something, right?

But the original point stands, we don't win Stanley, or get out of the first round, with Jones. So we might want to hold our horses for a while and actually see Drouin play over 100 games, hopefully out of that 4th line, before declaring him a bust. :help:

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
Drouin > Jones

I can't be the only one who sees the long-term benefit of a stupid good playmaker vs. a possibly "good" defenseman here?

P.S. Not a fan of Jones

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
Hard to know without knowing what the rest of the roster would've looked like. I don't think he would have been *the* difference against the Hawks, just looked like we ran out of gas a bit and couldn't overcome some injuries.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
There's no point in beating ourselves up over wondering the "what if" of Seth Jones. Who knows, with Seth Jones, maybe there's no Jason Garrison, and/or maybe no Anton Stralman. I mean, with Jones in tow, adding two D's last off-season may not have seemed so necessary.

(or maybe they keep Connolly and don't go for Coburn. Again, who the hell knows.)

[I didn't read any of the posts in this thread. This is a default response for me on this subject.]

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
I think so.

Just saying.

So disappointed when we took Drouin in that draft.

Welcome my friend ... and not that I agree with you or disagree but most posters here play it safe and stay with the click and there is a certain click so if you think out of the box you will get hammered by them.

keep posting like I do and don't worry about them. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad