Would this hypothetical player get into the HoF?

Nightmare1000

May 1, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
If a goalie went 84-0 in the regular season and then went 16-0 in the playoffs and every single game he played in both regular season and playoff he got a shutout with over 50+ shots each win than I don't see how he wouldn't be inducted into the Hall of Fame. It would be a disgrace to hockey as that would be the greatest year in all sports. If he dies it means he shouldn't get in? That's complete ******** as he would be the greatest of all time.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
based on what i've seen in some other threads and to follow in the forums mindset, apparently it would depend on whether or not he was canadian.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Not sure whether to take it this as a legitimate question or not, but definitely.

That would be by far the greatest performance by any player in any professional sport in history. Imagine Carey Price playing, with no team in front of him at all, against a bunch of 5 years olds who are incapable of skating, and still winning every game. That would be the comparable for someone putting up that kind of performance in the NHL.

And look what the DEL and IIHF did for someone like Robert Muller who never played in the NHL. If this hypothetical player died for whatever reason following this ridiculous season, I think at the very least they'd induct him posthumously out of honor.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
A goalie who went 16-0 in the playoffs in his rookie season, all shutouts with over 50 shots per game, and then died in the offseason. HoF?

No....

The player would be memorialized tho...

The closest I can come up with is Pelle Lindbergh tho, and he took the Flyers to the SC finals, died.... Not in the HOF, despite being a phenomenal goalie at both the NHL level and international level...

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Did you read the OP ? Nothing like Lindbergh

Would be the unlikeliest/greatest achievment in (ALL) sports history.

There are about 10 +50 save shutouts in NHL history and the longest shutout streak is 7.
http://hockeygoalies.org/faq/shutouts50plus.html

It doesn't matter.... May as well ask "would Wayne Gretzky be in the HOF if he died in 1982"...

No....

You can't put players in the HOF on potential or other for a year or 2 of greatness..

What if Jim Carey died in 1997? is he in the HOF?

And honestly the best comparison here is Charlie Gardiner, who is in the HOF... But the dude played for 7 seasons....

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/g/gardich01.html

1933-34, wins cup and goes 6-1 in the playoffs with a 1.33 GAA, dies a couple of months later...

Charter member of the HOF...

BUT, Gardiner was one of the best of his time and had a resume..

SCampo98

Dec 24, 2015
Sherbrooke, QC
A goalie who went 16-0 in the playoffs in his rookie season, all shutouts with over 50 shots per game, and then died in the offseason. HoF?

I don't think so. His performance would be immortalized but I don't think he'd get nominated to the hall. If you want a real life example, would Ken Dryden have been nominated to the HOF if something happened to him after he won his first cup?

illpucks

May 26, 2011
It depends on the RS tbh.

Rookie goalie that gets Vezina, Hart, Lindsay, Smythe, 16-0, dies
= HOF LOCK

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
I don't think so. His performance would be immortalized but I don't think he'd get nominated to the hall. If you want a real life example, would Ken Dryden have been nominated to the HOF if something happened to him after he won his first cup?

Dryden's 1971 performance, while great, is nothing compared to a hypothetical "16-0, 16 SO with 50+ saves in each game". So, Dryden isnt a good example. There are no good real life examples for this scenario really.

This screams Bill Barilko to me.

Hardly, since Barilko was a # 3/4 D on those Leafs team and was never considered an elite player when he was alive.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Nah. It was like pulling teeth to get a player like Lindros in based on longevity concerns when he played over 800 games (RS + playoffs). That goalie would be a legend, but not in the Hall.

Lindros would have been in a lot sooner if it weren't for what went down with Quebec.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad