Would they clear waivers?

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Right...Anson Carter who played like 800 NHL games?

Kyle Wellwood is a terrible comparison, skillwise you can compare them but Desharnais works 10x harder than him on and off the ice. Comparing Wellwood to Desharnais is like comparing A.Kostitsyn to C.Perry, skill level is the same but effort and work ethic isn't.

point is that parroting "he scored 50 pts, lots of teams would want him" is silly and simply untrue.

Point production alone is not a very relevant performance indicator.

Wellwood is a great comparison, in that like Desharnais, he needed to get very specific usage to be effective.

if you really think Kost - Perry is a closer comparison than DD-Wellwood... yeah, not much more to discuss i guess. :laugh:

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Why would anybody claim Bourque?

A bad GM on a bubble team trying to save his job by showing that he's making moves. Plus, Bourque's actual salary is lower than his cap hit and he showed up in the playoffs. GMs do value that.

Pretty sure he'd be claimed. Even though I totally agree that he's been horrible so far and the Habs should not claim him if he came from elsewhere.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
point is that parroting "he scored 50 pts, lots of teams would want him" is silly and simply untrue.

Point production alone is not a very relevant performance indicator.

Wellwood is a great comparison, in that like Desharnais, he needed to get very specific usage to be effective.

if you really think Kost - Perry is a closer comparison than DD-Wellwood... yeah, not much more to discuss i guess. :laugh:

Wellwood is a terrible comparison for Desharnais.

Wellwood has more skill but he is lazy both on and off the ice. Leafs and Canucks both hated that he was constantly 10-15lbs out of shape. He was moved to wing because he didn't care about defense at all. Desharnais has as good a work ethic as anybody on the Habs, he worked on his faceoffs and defensive play and he routinely wins battles against much bigger players.

You guys are so obsessed with size and having big centers that you hate Desharnais for what he isn't instead of appreciating what he does bring.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Wellwood is a terrible comparison for Desharnais.

Wellwood has more skill but he is lazy both on and off the ice. Leafs and Canucks both hated that he was constantly 10-15lbs out of shape. He was moved to wing because he didn't care about defense at all. Desharnais has as good a work ethic as anybody on the Habs, he worked on his faceoffs and defensive play and he routinely wins battles against much bigger players.

You guys are so obsessed with size and having big centers that you hate Desharnais for what he isn't instead of appreciating what he does bring.

It's tough to come up with a desharnais comparison, but he sort of reminds me of zuccarelo, but I think even zuc is a bit more gifted than DD is.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
It's tough to come up with a desharnais comparison, but he sort of reminds me of zuccarelo, but I think even zuc is a bit more gifted than DD is.

Zuccarello is a bit more skilled but Desharnais plays a more premium position so it's pretty even.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
You could have the said the same thing about Joe Thornton and the Sharks 10 years ago and would have been right.

And Joe Thornton is a big guy

You can choose between the career of Joe Thornton, Eric Lindros and Scott Gomez.

One of them means a Hart trophy and a finals appearance. One isn't over yet. One has a Stanley Cup ring.

Which do you choose?

Darth Joker

Dec 12, 2009
Canada
I'm not surprised he cleared. Bourque's cap hit is significant. It's a very bad cap hit given Bourque's current level of production. Bourque is now pretty far removed from his best years in Calgary, and he's also over 30, so it's a longshot gamble to think he can bounce back.

However, I still think DD would get picked up, because DD's level of production is decent for his cap hit.

Team's are willing to take a calculated risk, but not huge longshots, when it comes to guys making over $3 million in cap hit. DD's a bit of a risk (can he be productive without Patches and on a 2nd line?), but he's not the longshot that Bouque has become.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I'm surprised he clears unless he comes out with a terrible attitude. Tons of teams have a lot of money left. Some teams could ahve added his playoffs performance, added to the fact that his centerman also struggled and the fact that Bourque was not tried elsewhere....and teams could ahve given that chance to him. There's always suckers for big guys that could score and skate.

Well....not always.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Well I'm very surprise no one roll th dice 3.3M$ isn't that bad more than half the team in the league had the cap room and is salary is lower than is cap hit.

Bourque never wanted to be in Mtl. Basically he as been fired with pay I'm not sure he will have the right mind set to play or be the best guy to have around our prospect...

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Well I'm very surprise no one roll th dice 3.3M$ isn't that bad more than half the team in the league had the cap room and is salary is lower than is cap hit.

Bourque never wanted to be in Mtl. Basically he as been fired with pay I'm not sure he will have the right mind set to play or be the best guy to have around our prospect...

Every single team in the NHL has cheap fringe players that they can call up at any time.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Where is the debate?

NO Desharnais would not clear waivers. It's ridiculous to think he would. He is playing in the number one spot on a succesful NHL Club. I don't care what you have to say, blah blah blah, listen, he would not clear waivers.

Travis Moen would have a chance to clear waivers, but i would put it at a 17% chance. And that percentage is only that high because it is early in the season. In Feburary he would get claimed for sure.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
I think Moen's out of gas. His only good attribute at this point is he has "playoff experience". Any team with a position to make the playoffs wouldn't need Moen, and any team on the outs isn't going to sign a useless player.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I think Moen's out of gas. His only good attribute at this point is he has "playoff experience". Any team with a position to make the playoffs wouldn't need Moen, and any team on the outs isn't going to sign a useless player.

Dreger had a good quote about Moen the other day which was basically saying that Moen still gives everything he has, but what he has just isn't good enough anymore. I think that's a pretty good way to sum it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad