Would they clear waivers?

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Arguing Arcobello and Leon over DD is embarrassing ignorance.

Leon long term? Sure. But the Oilers already admitted they have no second line center.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
That's exactly why he needs to be the one to take the defensive zone faceoffs and shut down the other teams best line!!!

Right because the line with a 39 goal scorer should be used in defensive situations mostly...genius! :shakehead

Let's use Eller in the offensive zone only so he can score 33 points instead of 25.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
Right because the line with a 39 goal scorer should be used in defensive situations mostly...genius! :shakehead

Let's use Eller in the offensive zone only so he can score 33 points instead of 25.

Then don't bring up something that's completely irrelevant to the number 1 Center's role of driving the offense. Why not put Prust to have all the offensive zone starts, maybe he'd have no goals scored against him?

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
The amount of DD hate here is staggering. To the 22 people who said he'd pass through waivers, shame on you. I'm almost positive Yzerman would have him claimed so quick you wouldn't even be able to blink, and that's one general manager who I personally believe wouldn't even hesitate.

I know it's an opinion but it's a shameful one that some people actually think that. I'm by no means DD's biggest supporter but damn. Also the retaliation hate on Eller is pretty bad too. He's had a bad start, but to act like he'd go unclaimed is pretty childish. Yeah a former top pick who is still young and has a lot of potential who is RFA wouldn't get picked up :shakehead that makes no sense give your head a check.

The points being made for Bourque at least somewhat make sense even though I do believe he'll get snagged up too, but people really are undervaluing Eller and DD if they think they'll clear. I guess we'd be better off with the great Konopka over DD :laugh:

Leon long term? Sure. But the Oilers already admitted they have no second line center.

Yeah :facepalm: Lets trade some top 6 guys if you're going to argue Leon over DD then you may as well bring up Scherbak ffs.

I'm not saying Leon = Scherbak, but they're both raw players right now. Claim Leon > DD is laughable.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Chris Nichols ‏@NicholsOnHockey · 3m3 minutes ago
Friedman: "If you need centre depth, it's really hard to find." I think Kyle Brodziak is available. Don't think it'd be easy though. #mnwild

Oilers would probably give up a lot for a guy like Deshranais who can boost their offense.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Then don't bring up something that's completely irrelevant to the number 1 Center's role of driving the offense. Why not put Prust to have all the offensive zone starts, maybe he'd have no goals scored against him?

Just because a guy has more offensive zone starts doesn't mean he has no defensive responsibility. If you suck defensively teams will score against you regardless of where your shifts starts...

This is a perfect example of giving some people a small amount of data and them having no clue about the game and jumping to ridiculous conclusions.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Arguments that Buffalo and Carolina won't do it because it would hurt their chance at McDavid? Fair. Doesn't change the fact they are teams with huge holes at center.

Columbus believes in grit/size/skating? That's nice, because they certainly don't seem to be believing in skill when Mark Letestu (5'11") is their second line center.

I already covered the stupidity of saying Arcobello+Leon > Desharnais.

Florida doesn't have a SINGLE PLAYER OUTSCORING DAVID DESHARNAIS. That includes Nick "Look at this big strong center he'll be a top six for sure" Bjugstad scoring like his name was Rene Bourque.

Winnipeg is a one line team with one center: Bryan Little. Perreault and Scheifele just are not doing the job in the top six. Washington is having trouble filling that second line center role too.

Anyway, Nashville has three UFA centers expiring in the summer. They are the perfect target for Desharnais at the end of the season.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Arguments that Buffalo and Carolina won't do it because it would hurt their chance at McDavid? Fair. Doesn't change the fact they are teams with huge holes at center.

Columbus believes in grit/size/skating? That's nice, because they certainly don't seem to be believing in skill when Mark Letestu (5'11") is their second line center.

I already covered the stupidity of saying Arcobello+Leon > Desharnais.

Florida doesn't have a SINGLE PLAYER OUTSCORING DAVID DESHARNAIS. That includes Nick "Look at this big strong center he'll be a top six for sure" Bjugstad scoring like his name was Rene Bourque.

Winnipeg is a one line team with one center: Bryan Little. Perreault and Scheifele just are not doing the job in the top six. Washington is having trouble filling that second line center role too.

Anyway, Nashville has three UFA centers expiring in the summer. They are the perfect target for Desharnais at the end of the season.
So much #fail...

Hey, quick question... How much did Nashville pay this summer for two players with very similar production & limitations?

Yeah, but now they'll happily pay another guy 3.5x as much...

Maybe in nhl15

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
lol in what alternate universe does desharnais clear.

like say what you want about him being soft, but which team doesn't want a forward that puts up 50+ points?

ugh

RJJ

Jul 24, 2014
Ottawa
Firstly, DD is 5`5 and 160 lbs. There is not a single GM in the league looking for a center with those dimension. Strength and size down the middle is what everyone wants. It is deemed as important as a hot goalie to make it through the grind that is the playoffs.

Second, DD supporters keep calling DD a 50+ point guy. Other GM`s see that in order to get him 50 Therrien has to spoon feed DD with 1st line PP starts, the best wingers, offensive zone starts, shifts when the opposing team pulls their goalie etc.

Other coaches won`t give DD any of that and his production would suffer. GM`s see this. They are not blind.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Firstly, DD is 5`5 and 160 lbs. There is not a single GM in the league looking for a center with those dimension. Strength and size down the middle is what everyone wants. It is deemed as important as a hot goalie to make it through the grind that is the playoffs.

Second, DD supporters keep calling DD a 50+ point guy. Other GM`s see that in order to get him 50 Therrien has to spoon feed DD with 1st line PP starts, the best wingers, offensive zone starts, shifts when the opposing team pulls their goalie etc.

Other coaches won`t give DD any of that and his production would suffer. GM`s see this. They are not blind.

He's actually 5'7 and closer to 180(177)

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Chris Nichols ‏@NicholsOnHockey · 3m3 minutes ago
Friedman: "If you need centre depth, it's really hard to find." I think Kyle Brodziak is available. Don't think it'd be easy though. #mnwild

Oilers would probably give up a lot for a guy like Deshranais who can boost their offense.

I liked Draisaitl's game against us better than I liked DD's game against them...:amazed:

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
The Desharnais hate is just ridiculous at this point. Whatever some people like it or not he's still a very good player that would be a welcomed addition to any team.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Some have pegged his height as being closer to 5'5". He's smaller than advertised, again brought up on one of the broadcasts this past week.

Honestly, unless ONLY DD is given generous numbers we're left to assume it's a league wide thing.

Why would only this particular guy have 2 inches added? So...I don't worry about it. We use same source for other players.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Honestly, unless ONLY DD is given generous numbers we're left to assume it's a league wide thing.

Why would only this particular guy have 2 inches added? So...I don't worry about it. We use same source for other players.

I don't mind DD, however, people here seem to want to stretch him out so badly, almost overcompensating for his shortcomings. I only responded with what I heard this week, in response to the claim made in your post.

In essence, as long as he's producing, I can live with it, until Bergy comes up with someone better or someone else steps up.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay

Actually, Firstly, name me a player in the AHL who's good enough to be first line centre on a top tier playoff team.

Actually, just name me any forward who could be plucked out of the A and put up 50 without playing with top tier NHLers (yes Pacioretty is very good, but he's not great to the point of making his linemates look that much better).

You won't find any because there aren't. Put size aside. I've been saying this since like 2009, DD has excelled in every league he's played in. Tried out his way onto an ECHL team, led them to a Kelly Cup putting up 106 and leading the team (league?) in points. Led hamilton in points too. Hell, he's even one of our better scoring players here. Any player who doesn't get minutes won't produce. Send galchenyuk or Plek to the fourth line and they'll put up 30 points too. Fact is, DD is a good player. He won't lead us to the cup, but the fact that people think he'd clear wavers is really really baffling.

Bourque too.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Actually, Firstly, name me a player in the AHL who's good enough to be first line centre on a top tier playoff team.

Actually, just name me any forward who could be plucked out of the A and put up 50 without playing with top tier NHLers (yes Pacioretty is very good, but he's not great to the point of making his linemates look that much better).

You won't find any because there aren't. Put size aside. I've been saying this since like 2009, DD has excelled in every league he's played in. Tried out his way onto an ECHL team, led them to a Kelly Cup putting up 106 and leading the team (league?) in points. Led hamilton in points too. Hell, he's even one of our better scoring players here. Any player who doesn't get minutes won't produce. Send galchenyuk or Plek to the fourth line and they'll put up 30 points too. Fact is, DD is a good player. He won't lead us to the cup, but the fact that people think he'd clear wavers is really really baffling.

Bourque too.

DD has not excelled in the NHL.

As for the AHL, the majority of NHL players would excel in that league at age 24 or 25.

Corey Locke excelled in the AHL ... at a younger age than 24.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad