Would the Wings like to have Burmistrov?

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
While he's probably not the Russian that Datsyuk has wanted but if trading for him ensures Datsyuk re-signing a multi-year deal then send the farm :laugh:

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Why??? Burmistrov couldnt score in the AHL, they're the same age and Tatar has shown more upside in the NHL already... Why would you be willing to give up a better player? Because of where he was drafted? Because he's worth more in NHL13?

Tatar is a much better player...
I think what we're seeing here is a reaction to Burmistrov's pre-draft/immediately post-draft stock. Most of us haven't kept up with Winnipeg, so we didn't know that Burmistrov has done quite poorly of late (even in the AHL, as you've pointed out) and seems to be trending downward instead of upward. Sure, he was drafted 12th overall, but it's hard to believe that now if you watch him.

Right now, he looks like he's on track to become a poor man's Val Filppula. That's hardly worth trading Jarnkrok or Tatar for.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I think what we're seeing here is a reaction to Burmistrov's pre-draft/immediately post-draft stock. Most of us haven't kept up with Winnipeg, so we didn't know that Burmistrov has done quite poorly of late (even in the AHL, as you've pointed out) and seems to be trending downward instead of upward. Sure, he was drafted 12th overall, but it's hard to believe that now if you watch him.

Right now, he looks like he's on track to become a poor man's Val Filppula. That's hardly worth trading Jarnkrok or Tatar for.

I understand... It's the EASports mentality that fans look to for prospect ratings.. People dont actually watch much of other teams. The guy is really struggling. He's young though and maybe he'll grow into a player. Just not at the Wings' expense of a Tatar.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

He was picked 8th.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I understand... It's the EASports mentality that fans look to for prospect ratings.. People dont actually watch much of other teams. The guy is really struggling. He's young though and maybe he'll grow into a player. Just not at the Wings' expense of a Tatar.

I said it was a gamble but why it would be interesting. He is 6'1 and has center versatility. He competes hard, I don't really know if it is worth Tatar but it is an interesting trade if they believe they can get him on track and if they really aren't going to give Tatar a shot.

WingsMike

Registered Man
Jan 28, 2012
This would be really cool simply based on the story between him and Datsyuk in the past.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
I'd move Tatar for him.
i would not.

Why??? Burmistrov couldnt score in the AHL, they're the same age and Tatar has shown more upside in the NHL already... Why would you be willing to give up a better player? Because of where he was drafted? Because he's worth more in NHL13?
that seems right to me.

tatar in this NHL season scored at a higher rate than burmistrov has in any season, despite playing several minutes less per game.

2013 tatar: 11:22
2012 burmistrov: 14:52 (SHTOI removed)

in AHL, tatar scored at a higher rate in every season (at ages 19, 20, 21, 22) than burmistrov did this season at age 21, even though tatar had to adjust to a new league, country, rink size, etc.

beyond numbers, tatar showed a lot of offensive potential, and has improved his weaknesses a lot in last few years, which i think is a good sign for future improvement.

if burmistrov were picked 60th and tatar 8th, i think almost no one would suggest trading tatar for burmistrov.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Only young players/prospects I wouldn't move for Burmistrov would be Jarnkrok, Tatar, Nyquist, XO, Sproul, Jurco, and Frk.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think if we moved on this guy, it'd be with the understanding he'd be starting next year in GR. I think Atlanta rushed him, and the fact that he hasn't been able to produce in the AHL is troubling to me.

I'd want to build a trade around a 1st round pick, because I think it's about the same odds that either pans out into what we hope. And both would probably end up on about the same timeline for making Detroit as a full-timer. I don't think the risk/reward is worth one of our top10 prospects.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I think if we moved on this guy, it'd be with the understanding he'd be starting next year in GR. I think Atlanta rushed him, and the fact that he hasn't been able to produce in the AHL is troubling to me.

I'd want to build a trade around a 1st round pick, because I think it's about the same odds that either pans out into what we hope. And both would probably end up on about the same timeline for making Detroit as a full-timer. I don't think the risk/reward is worth one of our top10 prospects.

oh thankgod, a level headed intelligent post here about an attitude problem russian prospect with the same scumba... agent as alexi yashin folks

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

Burmi is not exempt from waivers.

Yzerberg

May 6, 2013
Western Kentucky
2nd rounder is the most I would want to spend on a reclamation project like this guy. 1st rounders bring an NHL player back in trades. There's a lot to like with his talent and size but if anything he's regressed. Maybe that's the organization's fault but we don't need to spend big to find out.

I'm not as crazy about Tatar as a lot of you are and I still wouldn't include him in a deal for Burmi. I wouldn't give up any top prospect for him.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
i've seen in JETS boards that he is a fisical 2 way and kills penalties and what ever will makes Pavel stay longer. I like the idia to bring him here, but what is the real reason he asked for trade?

Aug 6, 2012

Tatar is a much better player...

Because Burmistrov was drafted 8th for a reason, he's already great defensively and his offensive upside is high. He's exactly what this team needs, a young center with lots of upside and to top it off he's Russian and Datsyuk is his idol. He fits the Red Wing mold well. Tatar is awesome and I wouldn't move him for anything mediocre. But Burmistrov is exactly what this team needs.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
i've seen in JETS boards that he is a fisical 2 way and kills penalties and what ever will makes Pavel stay longer. I like the idia to bring him here, but what is the real reason he asked for trade?

I hear he isn't impressed with coaching staff/his role on the team.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Because Burmistrov was drafted 8th for a reason, he's already great defensively and his offensive upside is high. He's exactly what this team needs, a young center with lots of upside and to top it off he's Russian and Datsyuk is his idol. He fits the Red Wing mold well. Tatar is awesome and I wouldn't move him for anything mediocre. But Burmistrov is exactly what this team needs.
Filppula isn't all that much older, is a better version of essentially the same player, has no locker room issues, and wouldn't cost anything more than cap space.

I don't see what the Wings have to gain. I think the fact that he went 8th is figuring too prominently in people's judgments. 8th overalls bust too.

I'm not convinced by the idea that bringing in any Russian at all will keep Datsyuk around, either. The problem is less the Russianness of the lineup and more family ties back home. Unless you manage to trade for his daughter, I don't think anything changes much.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Filppula isn't all that much older, is a better version of essentially the same player, has no locker room issues, and wouldn't cost anything more than cap space.

I don't see what the Wings have to gain. I think the fact that he went 8th is figuring too prominently in people's judgments. 8th overalls bust too.

I'm not convinced by the idea that bringing in any Russian at all will keep Datsyuk around, either. The problem is less the Russianness of the lineup and more family ties back home. Unless you manage to trade for his daughter, I don't think anything changes much.

Flip is likely looking at a deal around 5/$25m, though. If the Wings are sold that Burmistrov would step into that hole and fill it, and the asset price isn't crazy, I can definitely see the benefit in dealing from our somewhat bloated prospect base to pull Burmistrov in for that role at what should be a much lower cap hit.

My problem is that I don't think Burmistrov is in Flip's league (yet), and that we'd really be getting a guy who should be in GR for a year or so.

VM1138

Apr 30, 2007
Sounds like his advantage is as a defensive forward. Helm replacement if the price is right? The key is putting him in the right role and Babcock is great at developing young players in new roles.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013

Burmi is 8 years younger than Fil, that is way younger. He's also bigger and more skilled. He will probably be better than Fil with out a doubt unless he completely busts.

He's only 21, 3 or 4 years younger than Tatar and Nyquist. He's hardly a bust at this point. He's a legit top 2-way center prospect that fits the mold of the wings. Idk what I'd be willing to give up but I'd like to see him as a future top 6 Center for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad