Would the Wings like to have Burmistrov?

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Burmi is 8 years younger than Fil, that is way younger. He's also bigger and more skilled. He will probably be better than Fil with out a doubt unless he completely busts.

He's only 21, 3 or 4 years younger than Tatar and Nyquist. He's hardly a bust at this point. He's a legit top 2-way center prospect that fits the mold of the wings. Idk what I'd be willing to give up but I'd like to see him as a future top 6 Center for us.
More skilled how? In the "looks good but doesn't produce" mold? The guy had 11 points in 22 AHL games this season after several NHL seasons. On top of that, he never blew up the OHL offensively.

Where is this offensive skill that you speak of? Sounds to me like he's very similar to Filppula in that regard. I don't think he's done a single thing since he was back in Russia that shows he has scoring line ability.

Mind you, he hasn't been buried on these Winnipeg teams. He's getting a fair amount of chances to prove himself. He just hasn't improved on the offensive end.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
I assume Burmistrov didn't like how his minutes fell this season in Winnipeg as a result of Jokinen being signed. I don't think what he wants is what Detroit can offer him. He probably wants a bigger opportunity, and Detroit probably isn't too keen on giving an opportunity like that to an unproven player when they already have so many unproven players within the roster. With that being said, I'd love to see them take a chance on him, he is a defensive forward and he's a young, highly regarded prospect. As long as the price isn't insane, I say go for it.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I think this Burmistrov is being overblown. I'd gladly take him on the team for the right price. His two way play was highly praised during his draft year. He'd be welcomed on this club.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Burmi is 8 years younger than Fil, that is way younger. He's also bigger and more skilled. He will probably be better than Fil with out a doubt unless he completely busts.

He's only 21, 3 or 4 years younger than Tatar and Nyquist. He's hardly a bust at this point. He's a legit top 2-way center prospect that fits the mold of the wings. Idk what I'd be willing to give up but I'd like to see him as a future top 6 Center for us.

Burmistrov was born October 21, 1991

Nyquist was born September 1, 1989

Tatar was born December 1, 1990

So Burmistrov is 2 years younger than Nyquist & 10 months younger than Tatar. I saw a good bit of Burmistrov this year in the AHL & while he obviously had talent it didn't always translate to the games. He was good defensively, had a good motor & he was always skating hard but he just seemed to be a step behind offensively.

For example when Tatar was 21 he had 57 points in 70 games, a .81 point per game pace. Burmistrov had 11 points in 22 games in his 21 year old season in the AHL, a .5 point per game pace. I'd also be willing to say that Burmistrov had a lot more talent to work with this year then Tatar had in 10-11. Nyquist at 21 had 4 points in 8 games but he was coming off his 2nd year of leading U. of Maine in scoring.

The problem I have with Burmistrov is that it seems like his offense isn't improving but regressing. I really don't see where this "elite" offensive talent is coming from. He's never put up eye popping numbers, 65 points in 62 games in his draft year but nothing really since. He had respectable rookie year, 20 points in 74 games, he built on it with 28 points in 76 games in his 2nd pro year and then this year happened. He would have been on pace for 19 points over 82 games this year, and for someone who is supposed to have #1/#2C potential had only a .5 point per game in the AHL.

The problem for team trading for Burmistrov is going to have is that the Jets probably few him as their future #2C, most Jet fans having giving up on him reaching the #1C potential he once had. The fact that he was the 8th overall pick means that if they don't get something of somewhat significant value back it's a waste of a top 10 pick and a waste of 3 years of development time. Teams trading for him will cite his lack of offensive growth, though the Jets aren't exactly helping him giving him less then a minute of PP time a game, as reasons to sell him for salvage value.

I think best case for Burmistrov is that he ends up as a 45-55 point guy that is a top defensive forward. I mean he's valuable to your team but in his prime he'll be pretty much Filppula, maybe a bit better defensively. We already have more then enough potential bottom 6 centers, Sheahan, Andersson, Helm, Ferraro, Aubry, that we don't need to trade a valuable asset for him. I think the Jets would ask for one of our top young roster players/prospects and I wouldn't move any of them for someone we don't particularly need.

We already have our Burmistrov in Sheahan, really good defensively with some untapped offensive potential, who if he hits that potential he'll be a good #2, if not because of his defensive game he'll be a good shutdown #3C for us.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Because Burmistrov was drafted 8th for a reason, he's already great defensively and his offensive upside is high. He's exactly what this team needs, a young center with lots of upside and to top it off he's Russian and Datsyuk is his idol. He fits the Red Wing mold well. Tatar is awesome and I wouldn't move him for anything mediocre. But Burmistrov is exactly what this team needs.

Riley Sheahan might be better than Burmistrov as we speak. There's a lot of players who are drafted high and never make it. There's also the Zetterberg types. It makes ZERO sense to move a good asset for a guy who's showing NO real growth in three years. How you can say he's just the type of guy Detroit needs could only mean, you've not watched him play and are going simply off of where he was drafted.. Sorry, but that's the truth. If Helm is healthy and the Wings want to take a chance on him, an Andersson type deal could be made. Anything more than that would be an overpayment.

The guy cannot score at the pro level so far.. He's not playing against a bunch of immature bodies anymore. There's lots of guys who are never able to make that transition.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
Other then his third year, Burmistrov was showing some growth. From years 1 to 2 he doubled his goal total and went from being a minus 12 to a plus 4.

This season, he was playing third line minutes, with less then a minute per game on the powerplay.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
I'm sure this wasn't the case in the AHL.

If I remember correctly he was the 2nd line C on the Caps and he started off getting #1 PP minutes. The Ice Caps had an extremely bad beginning of the season though & they had, and still have, very little offensive talent on the team. I mean he would have finished with 35-40 points had he played there the whole year & he would have been 4th or 5th in scoring.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
I watched him play in Atlanta. I can't say for certain that he would be a great player, as rookie years may or may not indicate that a player is particularly good.

However, he's either been in Noel's doghouse or Noel is just flat out misusing him, causing folks to believe he just isn't as good as his draft position might indicate.

I'd say he'd fit pretty well in the Wings system. If we can get him, we should.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Riley Sheahan might be better than Burmistrov as we speak. There's a lot of players who are drafted high and never make it. There's also the Zetterberg types. It makes ZERO sense to move a good asset for a guy who's showing NO real growth in three years. How you can say he's just the type of guy Detroit needs could only mean, you've not watched him play and are going simply off of where he was drafted.. Sorry, but that's the truth. If Helm is healthy and the Wings want to take a chance on him, an Andersson type deal could be made. Anything more than that would be an overpayment.

The guy cannot score at the pro level so far.. He's not playing against a bunch of immature bodies anymore. There's lots of guys who are never able to make that transition.

You clearly have not seen him play or have been very, very misinformed. Burmi for one, has jumped straight from junior to NHL which is very rare. Most guys haven't even made it in the AHL at his age. The skill level from this guy is off the charts. He is waaayy better than Sheehan and Im sure he will prove it in the next few seasons when he breaks out. Doesnt fit in Winterpegs system, would fit like a glove in Detroits system. He likes to set up plays where in winnipeg its a dump and chase or everything at the net barbaric style of play - I have seen many of their boring games. Overall the guy is still so young and oozes talent. How many guys are 21 and have 200 NHL games under their belt? Way too young to write off.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
no way will KH bring in a young guy(essentially a rookie) who has seemingly attitude problems(yes I believe RFA players who ask to be traded and who employ agents who use the media to put that message out are players with attitudes).

what kind of a message would it send to tatar, jurco, ferraro and sheahan or any of our other prospects busting their tales off to get up here?

not a chance we go after this individual, not a chance..

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad