Would star players in the 90s be star players today?

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
And if you had common sense you would know that injuries prevented him on becoming the GOAT.

He is possibly the best candidate of "what if".

Ronaldo El fenomeno earlier in his career was way more dangerous than Messi ever was. He was direct, fast, technical, powerful and a lethal finisher. He would come at you at full speed, with technique and power and he won ballon d'or very early in his career too (younger than Messi).

Anyway I get from your comment that you probably have never watched him at all play other than possibly late in his early retirement form.

Woah let's calm down there. Watch some 11-12 Messi games

ThorTron

Sep 21, 2018
Shark Tank
I think they would.

Off the top of my head-
Zidane, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Shearer, Bergkamp, Viera, Cantona, Roberto Carlos, Henry, Guti, Raul

all debuted or starred in the 90s and would still absolutely dominate today as they did 25 years ago

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Is that to me? I would like an serious reply to my topic question from you. Would be intresting to see your opinion.
No, it was to SEPH.
Ronaldo would dominate, ZZ also.

For instance, let me tell you a story.
I saw Platini play live in front of me after he had retired. Guy would just walk (he was never an athlete to being with). He was fat and would not tackle, run or do anything that could tire him. Well you know what? He was still oozing with class. Could make passes nobody would think of. His ball control itself eliminated one defenseman each time.
Those guys see the game slower than it goes.
Maybe the player relying on sheer athelticism would struggle a but because everyone is so athletic now. But those relying on their IQ? Not a chance they don't dominate again.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
No, it was to SEPH.

I saw Platini play live in front of me after he had retired. Guy would just walk (he was never an athlete to being with). He was fat and would not tackle, run or do anything that could tire him. Well you know what? He was still oozing with class. Could make passes nobody would think of. His ball control itself eliminated one defenseman each time.
Maybe the player relying on sheer athelticism would struggle a but because everyone is so athletic now. But those relying on their IQ? Not a chance they don't dominate again.

Agreed with you.

Ronaldo was special, it was not only power and athleticism. That element only is what made him go from a star to a superstar. What could have been

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think there's some nostalgia when talking about R9 compared to some players (Messi and Mbappe specifically).

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Woah let's calm down there. Watch some 11-12 Messi games
Way more dangerous lool. Amazing. tbh.

2010 Messi was probably the most fun Messi imo. He was a cheat code ran past the team for a goal every game. Same year Wenger called him a playstation. Thats what he was. (still is)

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Way more dangerous lool. Amazing. tbh.

2010 Messi was probably the most fun Messi imo. He was a cheat code ran past the team for a goal every game. Same year Wenger called him a playstation. Thats what he was. (still is)

I just remember turn on the TV watch Barça around those years and it was magic every single game from Messi. Incredible assists, free kick goals, runs, legendary performances against Madrid... I will miss it a lot

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I just remember turn on the TV watch Barça around those years and it was magic every single game from Messi. Incredible assists, free kick goals, runs, legendary performances against Madrid... I will miss it a lot
Yup when it ends it will be depressing.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
No, it was to SEPH.

Perhaps Matt Le Tissier would be one example of this type of player that might struggle today despite all excellence.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think there's some nostalgia when talking about R9 compared to some players (Messi and Mbappe specifically).
I agree. He was a special talent and good player but even comparing him to CR7 his best statistical season is equal to his like his 6th or 7th best season. Great player and injuries definitely held him back, but I don’t think at his best he touches CR7 and obviously not a conversation at all with Messi.

Reactions: S E P H

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Different times people. Ronaldo would dominate, yes he would. People have seen few of prime Ronaldo (it didn't last long tbh).

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Ronaldo El fenomeno earlier in his career was way more dangerous than Messi ever was. He was direct, fast, technical, powerful and a lethal finisher. He would come at you at full speed, with technique and power and he won ballon d'or very early in his career too (younger than Messi).
What you described there is why he was never able to be consistently great for an entire career, it took a lot on his body and longevity is important if we're talking about the GOAT. I would take Ronaldinho, the true Ronaldo, and Messi way before this Costa clone.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
What you described there is why he was never able to be consistently great for longer, it took a lot of his body and longevity is important if we're talking about the GOAT. I would take Ronaldinho, the true Ronaldo, and Messi way before this Costa clone.
Injuries and poor work ethic killed his career not talent.

Ronaldinho was similar he peaked early and he had poor commitment in taking care of his body.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Injuries and poor work ethic killed his career not talent.
Nobody is arguing about talent here though. I called him a bulldog with a bulldog mentality akin to Diego Costa, he wouldn't be better than a lot of the other players in the 90s with similar styles. The game has gotten much more finesse, meaning the brutes who took players head-on would be much less effective. Pogba is one player I would argue would've been better in the 90s than today. That doesn't mean he sucks in today's game, but like Zidane he was made for that style. I'm not sure Yaya would be as effective today compared to a decade ago as well. I mean still an amazing player, but his talent would be reduced by VAR/refs.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
If you saw peak Ronaldo - and I don't mean Cristiano who in my mind is still Cronaldo not Ronaldo because Ronaldo is already taken - you saw a brutally dominant player without any real weakness. I would take him over Cristiano Ronaldo most days - not Messi though as I'm fully aware that Messi was considerably better than Cristiano Ronaldo as well.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Ronaldo has got to be the most overrated player on this board bar-none. He had like, two good seasons and you lot claim he's on Messi's tier is hilarious.

Again with this bullshit? He finished as a finalist for FIFA World Player of the Year five times and won it thrice. Basic facts proving you wrong, as usual.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00