Would star players in the 90s be star players today?

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Of course not in their current status, but how they where in the 90s.

Have fotball changed too much? Or do you guys think those who where stars in the 90s would be stars in todays fotball awell?

Baggio, Laudrup, Zidane, Hagi, Bergkamp, Ronaldo, Carlos, Nesta, Maldini, Cafu, Stoichkov, Figo, Scholes, Matthäues etc you know the players.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
David Beckham would rarely see the field for a title contending/European competition team

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The really finesse ones like Ronaldinho and Kaka.

Ronaldo would actually be worst, he was a bulldog in a bulldog match. Similar to Costa, he would be a journeyman going from one club to another getting into fights.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
The really finesse ones like Ronaldinho and Kaka.

Ronaldo would actually be worst, he was a bulldog in a bulldog match. Similar to Costa, he would be a journeyman going from one club to another getting into fights.

Lol if you mean R9, reaaaaally???

Reactions: Moncherry

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Seems strange that a fan of a team that gets so much of its offense from deep crosses would say this! What's your reason?
He’s not athletic enough. Was never as good in the middle as he was wide. The game is too fast now. No one is giving up a wide midfield spot to Beckham in this era. Also Beckham played his best in a 442 which is not widely used anymore because like him, it is dated. My team gets assists from deep crosses, but they are from full backs. A team would be sacrificing a lot to have Beckham in a wide midfield role.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Ronaldo has got to be the most overrated player on this board bar-none. He had like, two good seasons and you lot claim he's on Messi's tier is hilarious.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
If you just take them and drop them in today's game? I think some would and some wouldn't (R9 for example if healthy would be a star regardless, and frankly might have a better career in today's day and age if he had the discipline for it). Probably only the very best of them would still be world class players.

If you allowed them the benefit of today's training, 'nutrition', coaching and dedicated lifestyle I don't think there'd be much difference.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
If you just take them and drop them in today's game? I think some would and some wouldn't (R9 for example if healthy would be a star regardless, and frankly might have a better career in today's day and age if he had the discipline for it). Probably only the very best of them would still be world class players.

If you allowed them the benefit of today's training, 'nutrition', coaching and dedicated lifestyle I don't think there'd be much difference.

Tnx for some brain!

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Ronaldo has got to be the most overrated player on this board bar-none. He had like, two good seasons and you lot claim he's on Messi's tier is hilarious.
And if you had common sense you would know that injuries prevented him on becoming the GOAT.

He is possibly the best candidate of "what if".

Ronaldo El fenomeno earlier in his career was way more dangerous than Messi ever was. He was direct, fast, technical, powerful and a lethal finisher. He would come at you at full speed, with technique and power and he won ballon d'or very early in his career too (younger than Messi).

Anyway I get from your comment that you probably have never watched him at all play other than possibly late in his early retirement form.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00