Would Sean Taylor be the best safety

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
Title says it all.

I was having a conversation with a Giants and cowboys fan about this. Since im a Skins fan im a bit impartial.

But in my opinion watching him play was a thing of beauty. I dont remember a safety with the coverage skills he had, the speed, and the flat out hitting ability.

I consider Ed Reed to be the best as of now but i the ST21 would have had a far better career.

Thoughts?

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
As a skins fan, Taylor would have been one of the best but it's really hard to say the best

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Have always maintained, and have said it multiple times on these boards, he would have gone down as one of the best. Easily top 5 all time. A damn shame his life was cut so short.

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
Have always maintained, and have said it multiple times on these boards, he would have gone down as one of the best. Easily top 5 all time. A damn shame his life was cut so short.

This is what i told my buddies but they vehimately fought against this claim. Still miss the hits he laid out. Of the Palamalus of the world ST21 hit harder then any of them and had better ball hawking skils

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
His range, intelligence and footwork separated him from his peers. He took away everything over the top. His hits may excite but to me it was his dedication to his craft. A lot of guys can drop the hammer, very few can play deep middle and take away both sidelines.

quesosauce

Feb 5, 2008
Denver
His range, intelligence and footwork separated him from his peers. He took away everything over the top. His hits may excite but to me it was his dedication to his craft. A lot of guys can drop the hammer, very few can play deep middle and take away both sidelines.

he was so far ahead in terms of reading the play and anticipation and that football IQ, and had physical talent to match, such a rare combo

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I wouldn't say he was far ahead. He just studied film and perfected his craft like the elites do. That's what separates good from great. Ronnie Lott was the same way. Football obsessed.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
No, because he was too physical and would have had a shorter career because of it. The ballhawks who aren't trying to take heads off have better longevity.

Just a great all-around player, and a bit of an outlier as a pre-draft guy because so few safeties have that skillset. Eric Berry is probably the closest recently, though as I've mentioned before I think Jalen Ramsey as a safety is very similar too.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
He did have 24 picks in his first four seasons, which seems phenomenal for a strong safety. Was definitely an intimidator, but was also much more...not that you're wrong about his style of play affecting his longevity.

I think Lott's career was about twice as long as his.

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
Charles Woodson played more corner so is a different conversation. I would definitely put reed in the condo for best. Not gonna lie lot skipped my mind I don't know why just did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad