Would Morgan Rielly go 1st overall in a 2012 re-draft?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Filip Forsberg was one of the top 5 players going into the 2012 draft but slipped into the teens for some inexplicable reason, and to make things even weirder, Washington traded him for a marginal deadline acquisition. Glad to see him doing so well.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
If he continues his elevated play this year, he could be in the conversation with Forsberg and Lindholm. I think he's passing the rest of the draft class right now.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Who cares. We got our guy and he's playing incredibly well. Let's just enjoy it without gloating that we may have the best player of the 2012 draft.

Thanks. Such a Leafy thing to do only 3 years removed from the draft...not like all of their careers are winding down to make a defininitive stance on this.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
2012 was not a strong draft year, however Morgan has done well but so have others and looks like a solid top 5 pick.

Alex Galchenyuk, Filip Forsberg both have potential to be top players, as does Nail Yakupov if he continues to play with McDavid among the forwards. Tanner Pearson and a sleeper pick among the forwards is Teuvo Teravainen who might be a diamond in the rough.

Goalie Andrei Vasilevskiy of TB has the potential to become a #1G among the goalies.

There are numerous Dmen that have looked good including Trouba, Maatta, Hampus Lindholm, Mathew Dumba and time will tell how Ryan Murray turns out.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Trouba is solid but my god, Jets fans overrate the hell out of the kid. He's a good player, but they talk like he's the next Lidstrom.

I'd take Lindholm, Rielly over him no question.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
2012 was not a strong draft year, however Morgan has done well but so have others and looks like a solid top 5 pick.

Alex Galchenyuk, Filip Forsberg both have potential to be top players, as does Nail Yakupov if he continues to play with McDavid among the forwards. Tanner Pearson and a sleeper pick among the forwards is Teuvo Teravainen who might be a diamond in the rough.

Goalie Andrei Vasilevskiy of TB has the potential to become a #1G among the goalies.

There are numerous Dmen that have looked good including Trouba, Maatta, Hampus Lindholm, Mathew Dumba and time will tell how Ryan Murray turns out.

I know he's only 21, but Chucky hasn't looked impressive at all to me. Looks like he'll be a second liner to me.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
yeah, i think he's the best.

love Lindholm but i don't really see him as a true #1 in the end. and not really impressed by Galy, too slow for someone with good but not awesome hands. Forsberg is good but just a winger. If Trouba can get back to form he's the guy who challenges Rielly for top spot in the end, imo.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
I personally would take him before anyone else in that draft, but it's pretty close between him and Forsberg and Lindholm. I think he's definitely the best player taken in that top 5 though.

Swayze*

as of today, NO

in a few years? No idea but probably not

Forsberg scored 26 goals and 63pts last season...

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
This was a good call - thank you Burke.

This is not a draft I will look bad and wish for a different option

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
as of today, NO

in a few years? No idea but probably not

Forsberg scored 26 goals and 63pts last season...

On a very good team....

This year he has the same number of points as Morgan thus far!

I take Morgan over everyone....said so before the draft and nothing has changed my mind thus far.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Lindholm and Forsberg and clearly above him, Maataa too probably Rielly is in the next tier with Galchenyuk, Trouba, Dumba, Yakupov and Vasilevski. Probably near the bottom. He wasn't a bad pick by no means, but he wasn't a great one either, just soild.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I take Morgan first, no question.

He's literally the complete package. Incredible skillset, a leaders on and off the ice and trains right.

this is a player that is carrying the team for most parts of the season. I don't think anyone else in his draft would be standing out like he is now, if put in the same position.

Rielly has more than just elite skills, he's got the head for it too... He's not seguin, Marchand (questionable maturity).... Or johansson (questionable fitness), or a kadri (questionable worker ethic)... He's comparable to toews in his mental makeup, in my opinion. its a rare commodity of a player.

Marleau, Thornton, Nash, kessel, spezza... Etc the list is long, when it comes to supremely skilled players whose desire has been questioned.

It's early, but rielly certainly doesn't seem to be a player whose desire/compete will ever be in question.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I see a lot of people saying Lindholm and Forsberg over Rielly.

Lindholm's flaws are being exposed on this crappy current Ducks run and he has looked rather bad. Rielly is good defensively and has much greater offensive potential than Lindholm or any D from the draft. And D is more important than W, so Rielly is my number one in a 2012 draft re-do.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
2012 ended up being a weird draft. I really don't think there is much seperate get the best 8ish players of it. Perhaps Forsberg has done the most to seperate himself from the pack thus far.

I think their is a fair chance that Moragn ends up among the best 1-2 guys within the next 5 years.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Maybe, but it's still way too early to make a definite decision. Rielly is a stud and he can definitely be the best player from this draft. The guys who challenge him for the best player from the draft, imo, are Yakupov, Trouba and Galchenyuk. I know Forsberg and Lindholm are highly regarded, but I feel as if their ceilings are lower than the players listed and in the end, I don't think they'll end up as the best in this draft class.

So, to conclude, it's way too early to definitely proclaim who's the best player from the 2012 draft, but Rielly is a tremendous player either way. I, personally, wouldn't trade him for anyone from his draft class.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Lindholm and Forsberg and clearly above him, Maataa too probably Rielly is in the next tier with Galchenyuk, Trouba, Dumba, Yakupov and Vasilevski. Probably near the bottom. He wasn't a bad pick by no means, but he wasn't a great one either, just soild.

What? Rielly is clearly better than Maatta. Put him on the Pens and this isn't even a discussion.

I'd take Rielly top 3.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Trouba is solid but my god, Jets fans overrate the hell out of the kid. He's a good player, but they talk like he's the next Lidstrom.

I'd take Lindholm, Rielly over him no question.

Yep, hers a good young player but has been very lucky to play for a strong defensive team that has helped to cover up his major flaws. Rielly in comparison has much less team support.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Of all the D man in the draft.....Rielly has played mostly on the right side ( his offside) as a young D man in the NHL on a bad team while being the best D man of his pairing.

He this year has 8 points in 11 games with 7 of those 5 on 5 playing against the other teams top players, all the while still playing his offside. In any other hockey city he would be considered a stud D man. Yet we have posters on here claiming he is not good or solid.

I will also put to rest his slap shot.....he has a great one when he uses a stick that allows this. He uses a very short stick as he prefers puck control close to his body over a slap shot that you may get off a time or two a game.

I said before the draft that he was the best D man in the draft and he is proving it. As well had he not been injured he very likely would have went first over all. Time will tell who the best player in the 2012 draft but my money is on Morgan.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
defiantly think lindholm and forsberg are ahead of him. Behind them its a toss up, could make an argument that Rielly is the third best player.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Some fans just continue doubting Rielly, and they'll just have to wait for their timely crow buffet. He's better than Maatta, Trouba, Dumba, Vasilevskiy, I think he's even better than Gally. You can make an argument about Lindholm and Forsberg with Rielly; but he's definitely top 3.

Whether Rielly ends up being the top player for 2012 is still a long ways away; give them until they're all 25. But as of now, Rielly is starting to rise to the top and proving to be a steal at 5th overall.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Some fans just continue doubting Rielly, and they'll just have to wait for their timely crow buffet. He's better than Maatta, Trouba, Dumba, Vasilevskiy, I think he's even better than Gally. You can make an argument about Lindholm and Forsberg with Rielly; but he's definitely top 3.

Whether Rielly ends up being the top player for 2012 is still a long ways away; give them until they're all 25. But as of now, Rielly is starting to rise to the top and proving to be a steal at 5th overall.

Gally isn't that good. I can name 5-7 players I'd take ahead of Galchenyuk.

waingr0

May 14, 2010
That's what nearly every scouting agency and publisher did as well.

Who cares what agencies and publishers have to say? Toronto Maple Leafs should be above them all, let alone all the other hockey organizations. NYI didn't have Schenn ranked 5th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad