Would Morgan Rielly go 1st overall in a 2012 re-draft?

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Hard to tell right now, but if he keeps this up all season and there are no other surprises it's a definite possibility. 11 games is just too small of a sample to tell.

Does anyone think Dion is going to finish with 50~ points?

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Forsberg is still looking like the better player so far.

And if your response to that is that defensemen take longer to develop, then it's a bit early to be calling the race between Rielly, Trouba, and Dumba, isn't it?

Last edited:

shelf

Nov 4, 2006
London ONtario
Forsberg is still looking like the better play so far.

And if your response to that is that defensemen take longer to develop, then it's a bit early to be calling the race between Rielly, Trouba, and Dumba, isn't it?

And Lindholm and Maatta.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Still too soon to tell.

Lindholm and Forsberg are his biggest competitors today.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Lindholm should have been in the top 5. I hope Rielly keeps getting better. It's still so early...

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Man, wth were the Islanders thinking? A lot of good players left in Rielly, Foresberg, Lindholm, Trouba, Dumba; and they pick Reinhart. Big thanks to them for not picking Rielly.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Man, wth were the Islanders thinking? A lot of good players left in Rielly, Foresberg, Lindholm, Trouba, Dumba; and they pick Reinhart. Big thanks to them for not picking Rielly.

turned him into Barzal who'll probably be a stud and the 33rd overall pick(which they traded to move up)

I mean sure he didn't necessarily work out, and if they drafted one of the other d-men they could have gotten more out of Edmonton in a trade, but I think they'll end up happy with how it all goes down in the end. I'm annoyed we got Pitt pick this year and not last year. I would have loved Barzal. I was praying he'd stay on the board long enough for us to trade up.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
He's in the conversation... With 4-5 other guys (Forsberg, Lindholm, Trouba, Maatta, etc), which means it's still way too early to say.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I get the argument for Lindholm but keep in mind Forsberg is a forward, a winger as well and they usually peak a lot earlier then defenceman. I would have no problems selecting Rielly ahead of Forsberg knowing what I know today.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

Generally speaking, I wouldnt target a defensive dman with size with a top 5 pick. That's what we did with Schenn too.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
On pace for 60 points this season. Early, but if he became that kind of point producer consistently then yes, I would think he would be 1st.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Who cares. We got our guy and he's playing incredibly well. Let's just enjoy it without gloating that we may have the best player of the 2012 draft.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'm happy with Rielly. At worst, he'd be in consideration for 1st overall, and considering that his competitors play on much better teams, he's doing quite well for himself.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
http://alongtheboards.com/2015/11/brian-burkes-gem-morgan-rielly/

Well, three years have past. With Morgan Rielly's emergence as the Leafs best player, it's time to revisit Brian Burke's theory that he would have picked him with the first overall pick.

Well he is in a group of about 6 players you could make that argument for, so a good pick.

Way too soon to call, some Euro just arrived last year, some teams didn't rush their prospects, 21-22 year olds are 4 years away from being 25, which is still considered an age when forwards aren't finished developing, and some of these guys are defenders.

How about we give it another 3-4 years and see how many are up for best of breed awards?

Last edited:

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I'd only take Forsberg over him. Lindholm would be close but Rielly's potential is greater. Murray and Gally would be lower. And Trouba's not even on the radar

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
2012 is shaping up as a pretty weak draft. So, yeah, if he explodes and actually puts 60 points up this season as a 21 year-old, he'll be considered one of the elite defencemen of the game, and even of his generation, so, yeah, it's possible he'd go #1 overall in a re-draft.

Burke was a pretty good drafter at the very high end, actually - and he has been historically. His high firsts have generally turned out to be BPA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad