Would Morgan Rielly go 1st overall in a 2012 re-draft?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think what is being evident is that you could have picked anyone we're discussing and relatively been satisfied with them being #1.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I think what is being evident is that you could have picked anyone we're discussing and relatively been satisfied with them being #1.

All personal bias aside, I take Rielly at 1st no matter what anyone says. Only person I think I would even consider taking over him is Forsberg but wingers peak much earlier. Rielly is only 21 and is constantly improving.

Mar 12, 2009
Probably not but I don't think it matters. Seem's like a clickbait type of article made by a fledgling blog. Pass.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
All personal bias aside, I take Rielly at 1st no matter what anyone says. Only person I think I would even consider taking over him is Forsberg but wingers peak much earlier. Rielly is only 21 and is constantly improving.

This is a really weird idea to me. Do forwards peak earlier because speed is more of a factor in their game? Where as defenders don't score off the rush?

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
This is a really weird idea to me. Do forwards peak earlier because speed is more of a factor in their game? Where as defenders don't score off the rush?

Defensive play is heavily relied upon anticipation that improves with experience. Both forwards and defenseman are required to take part in both a teams attacks and defense, but with varying levels of responsibilities.
A forward can get away with sloppy defensive play to some degree as long as he produce offensively. And yes, speed is a factor. A defenseman however is required to play a bit more mature, even early on, even do the same premiss of getting away with sloppy defensive play if you produce works for them as well even do not as strongly.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
All the Leaf scouts agreed on Forsberg and so did Burke and then ole Burkie went up to the podium and announced Rielly. I think we got a good player, no doubt, but I like Forsberg better. And you have to like Lindholm just a fine fine hockey player, I think he is top three, top four in you throw Gchuk into it.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
All the Leaf scouts agreed on Forsberg and so did Burke and then ole Burkie went up to the podium and announced Rielly. I think we got a good player, no doubt, but I like Forsberg better. And you have to like Lindholm just a fine fine hockey player, I think he is top three, top four in you throw Gchuk into it.

Link?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Hfboards scouts? I know we all agreed here for the most part Forsberg was the call to make. Rielly never really upset anyone save for those like myself who thought that was our chance to get a 1c. Looks like we have a 1D and that's just as gold to me so whatever.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012

Maybe the leafs should have tried to get Forsberg from Washington then? Asking price wasn't very high.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Defensive play is heavily relied upon anticipation that improves with experience. Both forwards and defenseman are required to take part in both a teams attacks and defense, but with varying levels of responsibilities.
A forward can get away with sloppy defensive play to some degree as long as he produce offensively. And yes, speed is a factor. A defenseman however is required to play a bit more mature, even early on, even do the same premiss of getting away with sloppy defensive play if you produce works for them as well even do not as strongly.

The way Chicago rolls their forwards is actually a good example. They're not so much concerned with them going down low and fighting for pucks 24/7, they're far more concerned with them skating hard and finding the open ice for a target for their D-men to pass to, and of course being hard on the backcheck.

Some people give Patrick Kane a hard time for being bad defensively, but he's really not all that bad. No he's not the kind of player who will fight in the corners and on the half-wall for the puck, but he will make sure that he gets open for his D-man to pass to.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014

Link? Lols. All the good stuff never gets a link brother. I know some scouts, they apparently met and all decided to go Forsberg. There were a lot of suprised men, when Rielly's name was called. But all in all, kid is a good player, certainly not a bust. I like Forsberg and Lindholm and yes, would happy with any of them. All three are really special.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Maybe the leafs should have tried to get Forsberg from Washington then? Asking price wasn't very high.

Yeah what was up with that? Never got any intel about that one. Weird for Washington the most Euro friendly team to let him go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad