Would McGuire have been better?

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Wrong wrong wrong

He was asked by team 990 what would the Oilers ask and he said if he was the Oilers GM he would ask for Subban and the 3rd overall from Montreal

Well, you could play the devil's advocate there, but just suggesting that Yakupov might have been be worth Subban + Galchenyuk is ridiculous.

So... a big NO to McGuire.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
And yet, while some people had their doubts about Galchenyuk...here's what McGuire had to say...."This is the right pick" "They need size in the middle" etc.

Well obviously Galchenyuk was the right pick in McGuires eyes at #3, after Yakupov and Murray were off the board.

Which is irrelevant anyway, considering McGuire wouldnt have even at the #3 pick. Like others have said already, McGuire stated many times he would have dealt the #3 pick and Subban.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
No. Pierre McGuire, as entertaining as I find him with his current job, has an ego the size of Mount Olympus, he ejaculates over defensive forwards and gushes over no talent D-men.

Bergevin has made several mistakes, but I don't get the feeling he is completely oblivious to a plan gone bad like McGuire would be.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Which is irrelevant anyway, considering McGuire wouldnt have even at the #3 pick. Like others have said already, McGuire stated many times he would have dealt the #3 pick and Subban.

Again, while McGuire has some contacts, he still doesn't have all the infos. And if a guy like Timmins goes to him and convince him to keep the pick, you have to hope that he isn't Gainey and listens. Again, having to speak every day as a journalist and having to conduct yourself as a GM....I will believe that a person would adapt and conduct themselves accordingly. But we will never know I guess.

MathMan

Jan 20, 2006
Julien Brisebois was the guy I wanted them to hire. McGuire would have been a complete disaster and the fact he was a finalist scared me to no end because it meant the process was whacked.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
Julien Brisebois was the guy I wanted them to hire. McGuire would have been a complete disaster and the fact he was a finalist scared me to no end because it meant the process was whacked.

Brisebois? Good one...

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
It was down to between McGuire and Bergevin and every time I watch the Habs stinking up the joint - I keep thinking if McGuire may have been better. I have to admit I was happy when they hired Bergevin as I am not a huge McGuire fan - but every time I look at Bergevin with the clown suits and hairdo...I get a sick feeling to my stomach. Add the fact that he's really done nothing to improve the team and his biggest move was to hire Therrien - I am starting to think we may have been better off with McGuire running the show.

No. McGuire is an idiot. No. He's the the cliche non player wannabe.

He's clueless.

I'm tired of your youth, your Facebook, your lack of historical knowledge about the Habs, and NHL Hockey.

Where is Sammy Pollock when you need him.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
It's illogical to assume that McGuire would be better just because he's not Bergevin. From my observations about him over the years I'd say he talked a lot but didn't make a lot of sense. It would like making coffee from water scooped out of a toilet bowl.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think McGuire would've been worse. MB has been too passive and he's made mistakes. But McGuire I think would've been spectacularly bad.
Well obviously Galchenyuk was the right pick in McGuires eyes at #3, after Yakupov and Murray were off the board.

As I said... spectacularly bad.

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR

I always thought that McGuire sounded a lot like an insecure used car salesman with his high pitched voice.

I'd bet the players couldnt endure that "McGuire treatment" anymore after a week or so ...

LOISkSX.gif

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Well, you could play the devil's advocate there, but just suggesting that Yakupov might have been be worth Subban + Galchenyuk is ridiculous.

So... a big NO to McGuire.

No. Pierre McGuire, as entertaining as I find him with his current job, has an ego the size of Mount Olympus, he ejaculates over defensive forwards and gushes over no talent D-men.

Bergevin has made several mistakes, but I don't get the feeling he is completely oblivious to a plan gone bad like McGuire would be.

It's illogical to assume that McGuire would be better just because he's not Bergevin. From my observations about him over the years I'd say he talked a lot but didn't make a lot of sense. It would like making coffee from water scooped out of a toilet bowl.

Would love to see Pierre as a habs GM. Absolutely would. It might be the first case in NHL where players are creeped out by their GM to play better.

I have endured plenty in the last twenty years as a Hab fan and most not good. But to hire McGuire even though he maybe of Irish descent, is just bad, bad, bad IMHO. There would be serious thought to a sabbatical from Habs hockey, until he was gone. Sure he knows lots about the ins and outs of hockey, but so would I doing his job, anyone with brain function would learn those things of which he rattles on about.

It is one thing to acquire knowledge and quite another to build a team chemistry, this is where McGuire would have the biggest trouble. Watch his reactions amongst the hockey panels, sometimes his lack of composure seeps through and his lack of confidence too. This is not the type of man to lead a group of professional athletes to Championships, even with Mario Lemieux on his team.

McGuire is good at the job of reporting, but is no leader amongst men IMHO. If you want my advice or not, here it is, stay the course with Bergevin and the Habs will win again. When, within five yrs. is probably a good estimate, and considering 29 teams are trying to do the same thing, that is a great timeline for an Elite team to be built. I watched all the teams since the fifties, as an avid Hab fan winning $thousands on them, and Bergevin is the first GM with a solid plan since Savard in 1993.

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
It was down to between McGuire and Bergevin and every time I watch the Habs stinking up the joint - I keep thinking if McGuire may have been better. I have to admit I was happy when they hired Bergevin as I am not a huge McGuire fan - but every time I look at Bergevin with the clown suits and hairdo...I get a sick feeling to my stomach. Add the fact that he's really done nothing to improve the team and his biggest move was to hire Therrien - I am starting to think we may have been better off with McGuire running the show.
Remember 05 draft....Mcguire would have taken Gilbert Brule and not Carey Price.../thread...:shakehead

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Remember 05 draft....Mcguire would have taken Gilbert Brule and not Carey Price.../thread...:shakehead

In McGuires defence, unless privy to Habs problems with Theodore, center was the option and myself I was leaning toward Kopitar. I was shocked he was available at 12th for LA Kings, Lombardi must have been ecstatic!:nod:

Lozela

Nov 11, 2010
Nope

he's just a nice guy but he has no depth in his character that would make you think that he can be a great leader and take the best decisions.

Jim Nill should've been the guy

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
McGuire mentioned more than once on Ottawa radio that if he was Habs GM he'd try to deal the third pick and Subban for the right to draft Yakupov. That doesn't mean he hated Galchenyuk..just means he wasn't the right guy for the job.

Just listened to the first words uttered by Pierre on TSN's draft day discussion that was posted - and Pierre says "There's no question Yakupov is the best player in the draft."

Yes there was a question Pierre. Really that's all you need to hear from that video..answers the OP's question i would think.

I believe McGuire was misquoted.

He suggested 3rd overall+Subban for 1st overall+

Still not a good one but less damaging.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised but that's not at all what happened. Habs 4 Life correctly stated that PM NEVER said to trade PK and our 3rd for Yakupov. He was asked and stated multiple times that IF he was Edmonton's GM, he'd ask for PK and 3rd. BIG difference.

I really don't understand the hate PM gets on this board. I find him really knowledgable and a fantastic assessor of talent.

A few things I do know for a fact is that he would not have signed DD for 4 years, he would not have signed Bou, he would not have signed Briere or Murray, he would have tried to unload Bourque ASAP, he would not have hired MT and he would have signed PK to a long term deal.

Now hindsight is always 20/20 but all of those seem like very good things. Mind you we don't know what he would have done but still. It would have been a great start!

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Was in my finalists too. As far as McGuire being a disaster...easy to say, less easy to prove. And again, people who uses what a guy says because he has to talk day after day, isn't a good indication. My only concern, though a big one, for McGuire is that he would have to prove to me he's not a one-man show. That despite his knowledge of prospects and all, that he would have surrounded himself with people and would let them work. If so, and if he is kinda open minded, we would still have a Timmins who would have said to him, to let him pick Galchenyuk. If McGuire shows that he's the one and only guy Gauthier style.....I don't pick him. Probably one of the reasons, with what we know, that Brisebois would have been a better candidate is that being young and less experienced, he knows his limitations if he's a bright guy. As he's suppose to be.

But I believe that when it's time to analyse a public figure, people are more encline to judge the guy's personnality than the guy's brain.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad