Would McGuire have been better?

drivefor25

Jan 10, 2009
It was down to between McGuire and Bergevin and every time I watch the Habs stinking up the joint - I keep thinking if McGuire may have been better. I have to admit I was happy when they hired Bergevin as I am not a huge McGuire fan - but every time I look at Bergevin with the clown suits and hairdo...I get a sick feeling to my stomach. Add the fact that he's really done nothing to improve the team and his biggest move was to hire Therrien - I am starting to think we may have been better off with McGuire running the show.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
It was down to between McGuire and Bergevin and every time I watch the Habs stinking up the joint - I keep thinking if McGuire may have been better. I have to admit I was happy when they hired Bergevin as I am not a huge McGuire fan - but every time I look at Bergevin with the clown suits and hairdo...I get a sick feeling to my stomach. Add the fact that he's really done nothing to improve the team and his biggest move was to hire Therrien - I am starting to think we may have been better off with McGuire running the show.

Jesus... that glorified NHL cheerleader ... if we had hired that clown I'd be done with the habs.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
jil3pc.jpg

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Mcguire said that he told Savard he wanted to trade the 3rd overall pick at all cost for somebody like Jordan Staal. No thank you.

Bergevin's plan takes a lot of time, but look how deep our prospect pool had gotten in a 2 year spand. Bergevin's 1st real free agency period where he will have a real cussion to spend is the next one. Let's wait and see.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Mcguire said that he told Savard he wanted to trade the 3rd overall pick at all cost for somebody like Jordan Staal. No thank you.

Bergevin's plan takes a lot of time, but look how deep our prospect pool had gotten in a 2 year spand. Bergevin's 1st real free agency period where he will have a real cussion to spend is the next one. Let's wait and see.

The prospect pool isn't deep because of Bergevin, it's because of the trades Gauthier made and the picks he acquired.

Yes can't wait for UFA and the money he will spend, like last summer and the 2 years he gave to Briere. Can't wait for his next signings

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011

French gm s have proven to work best in montreal

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I wasn't against McGuire. I think that people should start making the difference between what a guy says on the radio and what he'll actually do. The guy needs to talk on the radio every single day. I can assure you that if every GM would have a radio show and would speak his mind every day, that even Ken Holland would look stupid from time to time. But I would not have minded Jim Benning either.

I would have had no problem with McGuire. 'Cause if it would end up bad....at least it would have been entertaining....;)

Gains

Apr 29, 2012
Montreal
I wonder how Damphousse would have done with us, but he didn't want the job, so can't blame Molson for not hiring him.

Last edited:

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Mcguire wanted to trade Subban & 3rd for Oilers' first.

In other words: Galchenyuk & Subban for Yakupov

Sources : Tsn990

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Mcguire wanted to trade Subban & 3rd for Oilers' first.

In other words: Galchenyuk & Subban for Yakupov

Sources : Tsn990

Wrong wrong wrong

He was asked by team 990 what would the Oilers ask and he said if he was the Oilers GM he would ask for Subban and the 3rd overall from Montreal

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
hahahaahahahahahahahahaha

No. Don't ever ask that question again. If we chose McGuire, we don't have Galchenyuk.

And yet, while some people had their doubts about Galchenyuk...here's what McGuire had to say...."This is the right pick" "They need size in the middle" etc.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
It can always be worse.

A lot of really big dumb mistakes is a lot worse then a lot of dumb little mistakes.

habs999

Jan 19, 2014
The day McGuire is the GM of the Habs is the day I stop cheering for the Habs... guy is an idiot

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Close this ****ing thread. It's disgraceful to even have had his name in contention for the GM position.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
McGuire mentioned more than once on Ottawa radio that if he was Habs GM he'd try to deal the third pick and Subban for the right to draft Yakupov. That doesn't mean he hated Galchenyuk..just means he wasn't the right guy for the job.

Just listened to the first words uttered by Pierre on TSN's draft day discussion that was posted - and Pierre says "There's no question Yakupov is the best player in the draft."

Yes there was a question Pierre. Really that's all you need to hear from that video..answers the OP's question i would think.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad