Would McGuire have been better?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
McGuire mentioned more than once on Ottawa radio that if he was Habs GM he'd try to deal the third pick and Subban for the right to draft Yakupov. That doesn't mean he hated Galchenyuk..just means he wasn't the right guy for the job.

Just listened to the first words uttered by Pierre on TSN's draft day discussion that was posted - and Pierre says "There's no question Yakupov is the best player in the draft."

Yes there was a question Pierre. Really that's all you need to hear from that video..answers the OP's question i would think.

Again, he does a show. They ask him to talk and he does. And gives tons of infos that maybe he should not have gotten. With the job he has now....how many times does he has the chance to scout? How many times has he seen Yakupov? And Galchenyuk? Does he relate more to his personal knowledge of the guys or to what people say to him so he'd be able to blah-blah-blah a whole lot? Could be both. Tough to say. But while he did say that for Yakupov, he also recognized the Galchenyuk pick for the Habs. I think that, as he says himself, he could be hard on the Habs for not giving him the job. The guy was so much against the past management, wouldn't be hard for him to be even harder. But he rarely is lately....even if frankly......they would deserve it. Pure opportunism of a guy who still believe he has a shot at GM'ing and don't want to show his future employers that he's all about revenge.....Maybe.....We don't know for sure though.....

By the way, he would not have been perfect...far from it....but what else did we have aside from Bergevin? Brisebois? And without the criteria...who else? I had Benning. But there wasn't a ton.

QuickWrister

Nov 25, 2013
London, ON
Yes.

A nutless monkey can rely on Dudley and Timmins to build through the draft for himself.

Bergervin can get contracts right though. Not sure how McGuire would done with that. But his thumbs wouldn't be up his ass right now I'm sure.

dreamingofdrouin*

some of you guys are just ridiculous...the man is half way through his 2nd year...has a team that finished last 2 years ago in a top 3 seed after finishing 2nd in the east last year before horrendous injuries hit and he's done nothing but say over and over again, "we're building through the draft"

He listens to nothing in the media....absolutely nothing and the reason is obvious...this fan base is impatient and the reporters are clowns.

We finally have a gm who's not dealing away picks for veterans, wasting assets for patch ups and giving in to the rabid dogs that make up this fan base....it's going to be painful....but when it's done you will be thanking MB I assure you of that.

Therrien may or may not be the answer but I assure you MB's method is...slow and calculated. patience people, patience. :shakehead

firewagon77*

McGuire knows less about hockey than anybody in hockey....PERIOD.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
McGuire knows less about hockey than anybody in hockey....PERIOD.

That was a very enlightening comment. Thanks for that little jewel said with such gusto. I'm sure you know much more than him and anyone else in hockey so you seem like a credible source to discredit PM.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Wrong wrong wrong

He was asked by team 990 what would the Oilers ask and he said if he was the Oilers GM he would ask for Subban and the 3rd overall from Montreal

Ture, but he didn't emphasize how ridiculous that trade would have been and that's enough for me.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Ture, but he didn't emphasize how ridiculous that trade would have been and that's enough for me.

No bias there at all.

As the GM on the OTHER side, you always ask for as much as you can get.

If there's been anyone constantly praising PK it's been PM. No surprise he'd want PK in an imaginary deal if he was a GM on another team.

Blaming the guy because he wants and believes in PK is a reason to discredit him?

Guys, you have to get your facts straight. Of you want to bash a guy fine. Just don't do it by fabricating unsubstantiated BS and make belief arguments to prove your point. Go by what he actually has said. Almost all stuff everyone here on this board have said almost unanimously. Read previous post about what he went on record and said he would and wouldn't have actually done. Far more than the imaginary stuff posters keep saying he said but in fact did not.

Souffle

A soupçon of nutmeg
Aug 9, 2003
Le Creuset
Visit site
Again, while McGuire has some contacts, he still doesn't have all the infos. And if a guy like Timmins goes to him and convince him to keep the pick, you have to hope that he isn't Gainey and listens. Again, having to speak every day as a journalist and having to conduct yourself as a GM....I will believe that a person would adapt and conduct themselves accordingly. But we will never know I guess.

Not sure about the Gainey reference there, unless it's about the McDonagh trade, which I think is a completely different situation. I don't think there was much strong-arming by Gainey at the drafts. They seemed to be run by Timmins, which meant trading up and down and taking players higher than where they were projected (e.g., McDonagh).

But I agree with the bigger point, which is that we don't really know how closely McGuire the Media Personality resembles McGuire the GM of an NHL Hockey Team. They're totally different jobs, and I don't believe that you can be a contender for one solely on the basis of what you show in the other.

I don't put much stock into what McGuire would've done with the 3rd overall pick or any other reports. We really have no idea. The mere fact that there are reports about what he would've done just makes me sceptical.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad