Speculation: Would like some clarification on the tanking.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
an awesome scenario would be Buffalo finishing dead last, Islanders choose not to take their first round pick this year, winning the lottery so Buffalo gets 1st and 2nd. If not this year than hopefully islanders suck balls and give us a better chance at McDavid

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
Also, I've gotta ask, do you guys see yourself taking Ekblad or Reinhart if your team had the 1st overall pick? I was really impressed with Ekblad at the world juniors and not so impressed with Rinhart and consider Ekblad the far superior player at this point.
Interesting. Good post overall, but I mostly disagree with your WJC assessment. I've seen Ekblad play in person, but this was my first look at Reinhart. Last year Ekblad was a force every shift, very noticeable on the ice in all zones. At the WJC he was, while very solid (I'm not knocking him at all), not the imposing presence he was when I saw him. Granted this was on TV, but Reinhart came across to me as the superior player between the two at the WJC. It was reflected by the coaches, who increasingly relied on Reinhart as the tourney went on, in all situations. He wasn't perfect, but I came away impressed. More so than I was with Ekblad, who before Malmo I had as the #1 BPA (based on a trusted friend's assessment). This was just my take, though, so no sweat.

Still, both are excellent players and I agree with what Mike203 said regarding Ekblad having a higher ceiling. But talking Reinhart/Ekblad and Oilers/Sabres, it's a no-brainer. EDM has no need for Reinhart other than as a BPA. They desperately need an Ekblad or someone of his ilk, preferably more than one. Then again, with Reinhart's 2-way skill, maybe he could fit in well if last night's 1st period against St. Louis is any indication. Judging from the absurd puck possession/skating demonstration of the Berglund line last night, you guys have a lot of issues to address, and it's not JUST defense and goaltending (we do too, so we can sympathize). Excuse the lengthy post.

Splintered Sherwood

Oct 25, 2013
One rule with regards to any team undertaking any tank-like activities is that any tanking goes on hiatus when you play against the Leafs. The Sabres have won two against the Leafs and the Islanders won yesterday.

The Oilers are clearly doing it wrong as they lost both games against the Leafs in October.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
an awesome scenario would be Buffalo finishing dead last, Islanders choose not to take their first round pick this year, winning the lottery so Buffalo gets 1st and 2nd. If not this year than hopefully islanders suck balls and give us a better chance at McDavid

My understanding is NYI do not need to declare their intent re: their 2014 1st Rd pick until the draft itself, i.e., after the lottery. So the scenario you wish for above seems very unlikely (note, I do not say impossible, since Snow and Wang are involved).

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
One rule with regards to any team undertaking any tank-like activities is that any tanking goes on hiatus when you play against the Leafs. The Sabres have won two against the Leafs and the Islanders won yesterday.

The Oilers are clearly doing it wrong as they lost both games against the Leafs in October.

I think one thing we can all agree upon, pro-tank or anti-tank, is that everyone should beat the Leafs. Always.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad