Speculation: Would like some clarification on the tanking.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Well it looks like our two teams will be fighting for the first overall pick. Haha, seems every year Edmonton says that this'll be the year that they get out of the bottom ten, but here Edmonton is again 5 points out of last place. Well you guys do have 3 games in hand. It's pretty close imo.

I'm here to inquire about which of your players you figure will be gone from the trade deadline so that I can have a better idea of which of these two teams will remain the most competitive down the stretch.

For Edmonton I think I've got a pretty good idea who'll be gone:

Hemsky: Has to be gone. We've got too many scoring right wingers on our team right now, he's on a contract year and I can't imagine Edmonton resigning him since we've got Yakupov and Eberle.

Jones: Whether anyone is willing to pick him up is the question. If nobody picks him up he'll be waived.

Nick Schultz: A second pairing d-man on a horrible team. Maybe a passable #6 or a good #7 on a good team.

All of these guys are on contract years.

If Ryan Smyth intends on playing next year it won't be in Edmonton and if that's the case I have a feeling that he'll be dealt at the trade deadline. He should just retire. His value isn't noteworthy anymore.

Some people speculate that Edmonton will trade Bryzgalov if he doesn't resign before the trade deadline, but week by week it's becoming harder and harder for me to imagine Edmonton trading him unless we got something big for him in return due to the fact that the rest of our goalies aren't even good enough to be referred to as garbage.

Correy Potter and Phillip Larsen would be up for grabs, but their value is so low that people don't even need to bother mentioning that they've been waived.

I figure Hemsky is the only notable player out of all of these guys assume Bryzgalov stays. It might cost us a few wins. In the end I imagine Edmonton will end up with 58-63 points.

So... which players do you see your team shedding and where do you see your team at the end of the season?

Also, I've gotta ask, do you guys see yourself taking Ekblad or Reinhart if your team had the 1st overall pick? I was really impressed with Ekblad at the world juniors and not so impressed with Rinhart and consider Ekblad the far superior player at this point.

I know you guys have a ton of great d-men coming up through your system and that Reinhart would be a logical choice, but it's hard to not go with BPA if Reinhart proves to much much lesser of a player than Ekblad.

I know that was a lot. Thanks for reading. Look forward to hearing of your projections and I certainly hope that Edmonton lands Ekblad at the end of the year whether that's drafting first or second overall.

Shoey

Hello.
Jun 25, 2006
Buffalo, NY
www.ypoiw.blogspot.com
There's really no consensus on Miller/Ott/Moulson and if they're still in Buffalo after the trade deadline. My personal preference is to trade all 3 for whatever assets I can get in return although it seems unlikely that the organization would be willing to part ways with all 3.

If I had to guess I would predict Steve Ott will sign an extension before trade deadline day and the other 2 big UFAs are traded for picks and/or prospects.

As far as Reinhart Vs Ekblad I think the organization is likely to favor the former due to center being weak as an organization and defensive prospects in the pipeline being a strength. However, I think Ekblad is a fantastic prospect and I think the Sabres would gladly take him should they pick 2nd and Sam Reinhart is off the board.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I too think it would be crazy if you guys traded Ott. I think he's got the most value out of the three. If you guys could resign him long term you could be fighting for a playoff spot in a year or two if everything works out.

ZeroPT*

We've got about 8 top 4 potential guys in our system so I'd take Reinhart, if I may ask why were you unimpressed with Reinhart? I thought he was great! As for the rentals, I see us keeping Ott and moving the other 2, both should garner 1sts plus meh prospects, I could also see us moving Tallinder for a 2nd, a la Leopold

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
We're bringing in a new GM, so it's hard to gauge his philosophy, but I think Miller and Moulson should be dealt, and Ott should be dealt as well unless he's (a) willing to sign an extension, and (b) wouldn't return more than a 2nd.

We go Reinhart all the way. Consensus among scouts still has him even with Ekblad, and we have obvious needs. If we take Ekblad, it's just going to necessitate trading some D later, and who knows what kinds of forwards will even be on the trading block.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
We've got about 8 top 4 potential guys in our system so I'd take Reinhart, if I may ask why were you unimpressed with Reinhart? I thought he was great! As for the rentals, I see us keeping Ott and moving the other 2, both should garner 1sts plus meh prospects, I could also see us moving Tallinder for a 2nd, a la Leopold

I think I might have been expecting too much out of him. He wasn't lazy or anything but he didn't surprise or impress me a whole lot either.

To say my expectations for team Canada were too high was a huge understatement. When the going got tough nobody was really able to deliver which can also makes kinda frown upon Reinhart.

Ekblad had his big blunder in the game VS Finland, but that's the only big mistake I saw out of him throughout the entire tournament. I'm willing to give Ekblad a bit of a break because forwards are supposed to come along a lot faster than d-men.

I'm honestly tired of this game where 1st overall picks are guaranteed to play in the NHL right after being drafted.

Crosby, Hall, Tavares; yes. Stamkos,Yakupov, Hopkins and Reinhart; no.

If Edmonton is getting the 2nd overall pick and Ekblad isn't on the table, I'll have the cow of cows if Reinhart ends up playing as an 18 year old for Edmonton.

KennyFnPowers*

It seems like Patty wants to get a GM in place before the Feb-Freeze. Once that happens, the unknown dominos will start to fall leading up to the trade deadline.

It's going to be an interesting next 3-4 months for Buffalo hockey, that's certain.

Last edited by a moderator:

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY
I think Ekblad has a higher ceiling than Reinhart. Reinhart will probably not be an elite player and is not flashy. What you get with Reinhart is a high floor. He's either going to be a 1C or 2C who plays a good two way game.

The Sabres will take Reinhart if they draft 1st. If they draft 2nd, it's either Ekblad or they trade down 1 or 2 spots.

Hopefully Edmonton or Buffalo wins the lottery. We each get our guy if that's the case.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I'll have the cow of cows if Reinhart ends up playing as an 18 year old for Edmonton.

If Buffalo wins the lottery they should announce that they are taking Ekblad. See what they can squeeze out of your team to trade up.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
If the Sabres were to take Ekblad I hope they get someone like Logan Couture or Tyler Toffoli in a trade for the massive crowded defence pool. If not there is not point in taking Ekblad when Buffalo desperately needs top 6 players. If Edmonton were to take Reinhart I dont see what good that would do when they have nothing to backstop them to help them win or any defence to facilitate any kind of help for their non existent goal tending woes they seem to have.

Edmonton needs to stop getting cheap and trade for a goaltender. Management bringing in Bryzgalov like hes gonna make a difference is just accepting the fact that they dont want to win and want the team to move to Seattle or Las Vegas.

This leads me to believe that they desperately need Ekblad which leaves us Reinhart. #TankOn

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
If Buffalo wins the lottery they should announce that they are taking Ekblad. See what they can squeeze out of your team to trade up.

If this happens I'll laugh myself to death and then if they follow through with it I'll go on a 1 month long bender from here to hell and back. Seriously, I'll make the world confuse JD for spring water.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
If this happens I'll laugh myself to death and then if they follow through with it I'll go on a 1 month long bender from here to hell and back. Seriously, I'll make the world confuse JD for spring water.

So what do you say? Number 2 overall and your 1st round pick in 2015 for the 1st overall?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Edmonton needs to stop getting cheap and trade for a goaltender. Management bringing in Bryzgalov like hes gonna make a difference is just accepting the fact that they dont want to win and want the team to move to Seattle or Las Vegas.

It's not the goaltending that's the problem. I don't think that any goalie in the NHL could make us a playoff team.

Not only do we give up too many shots, we give up too many shots from dangerous areas.

Edmonton's best d-man would be a #4 or #5 d-man on St. Louis. That's so wrong for so many reasons.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
It's not the goaltending that's the problem. I don't think that any goalie in the NHL could make us a playoff team.

Not only do we give up too many shots, we give up too many shots from dangerous areas.

Edmonton's best d-man would be a #4 or #5 d-man on St. Louis. That's so wrong for so many reasons.

Let me pose this hypothetical to you:

The standings stay the way they currently look, but Calgary wins the draft lottery. The Flames pick 1st, Buffalo picks 2nd, Edmonton picks 3rd. Calgary makes clear that they're picking Reinhart. What does Edmonton offer to Buffalo to make them consider moving back to #3?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
So what do you say? Number 2 overall and your 1st round pick in 2015 for the 1st overall?

Hohohoho! I like that! I'm laughing good here.
Someone should hack TSN.CA's website the day before the draft and post that to make it look legit. Would soooo enjoy watching people lose their minds!

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009

The standings stay the way they currently look, but Calgary wins the draft lottery. The Flames pick 1st, Buffalo picks 2nd, Edmonton picks 3rd. Calgary makes clear that they're picking Reinhart. What does Edmonton offer to Buffalo to make them consider moving back to #3?

I hope a hell of a lot of assets. It is imperative that we get either Sam Reinhart or Aaron Ekblad out of this god awful season. I think there is a pretty large drop off from Reinhart/Ekblad to guys like Dal Colle/Draisaitl. I would want at least Nurse minimum with #3 for Ekblad (#2). And I can definitely see a team outside the top 5 winning the lottery sending all the teams down a spot. That's why it's essential we finish dead last so we are guaranteed either #1 or #2.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I just want to know what scenario would enable Buffalo to pay back Kevin Lowe in the best way for the Vanek offer sheet.

Whatever that scenario is, that's what I want regardless of what's best for the team. I think Ricardo Montalban said it best in The Wrath of Khan, quoting Moby Dick - "...to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee."

Is that too much of a grudge for the Vanek offer sheet? Nahhhhh.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I just want to know what scenario would enable Buffalo to pay back Kevin Lowe in the best way for the Vanek offer sheet.

Whatever that scenario is, that's what I want regardless of what's best for the team. I think Ricardo Montalban said it best in The Wrath of Khan, quoting Moby Dick - "...to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee."

Is that too much of a grudge for the Vanek offer sheet? Nahhhhh.

I think the best way is the Oilers finish last, the Sabres win the lottery, and they take Ekblad 1st overall.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada

99% of Oil fans would start mentioning trade chips that would mean little or nothing to you IMO.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
It just dawned on me that the Islanders' pick is going to be a really early one too.

Imagine if Edmonton ended up with the 3rd overall pick and Buffalo swung a trade to get the 1st and 2nd overall picks.

Man I'm just saddening myself now.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington

Or draft Ekblad at #1 and then trade Pysk, Weber plus mid first rounder for Oilers #2 pick. Sabres draft Reinhart
They need help now... Oilers don't need an offensive prospect like Reinhart back in junior next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad