Would implementing "hybrid offside" make hockey better?

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Wouldn’t it be easier just to make the blue line part of the offensive zone?

As soon as the puck hits it you’re in. Would give players more room to work with too

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
In soccer you have two linesmen just constantly running up and down the sides of the pitch. There’s no space for that in hockey. Also soccer is much more slower paced than hockey and it’s easier to penalize for offside (other teams gains possession and no subs from team committing offside)

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Two levels of changes

1. As been said in this thread- get back to the spirit of the rule. Tie goes to the offence, don't call offside unless it's egregious.

2. Soften the blueline. Players can enter ahead of the puck but not be passed to until the puck crosses the line.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
My proposal would be to let teams carry the puck in while offside and pass it in if they’ve already exited their own blueline.

But this could be interesting to. Would love to see the AHL test out either change
That's how majority of inline leagues I've played in use the rule. You can't pass over that line, but you can skate over it if there's another player over the line.

Daisycutter

Dec 20, 2006
Two levels of changes

1. As been said in this thread- get back to the spirit of the rule. Tie goes to the offence, don't call offside unless it's egregious.

The bolded is what I have issue with. Egregious to one ref may be ok to another. The less subjectivity in rules the better

2. Soften the blueline. Players can enter ahead of the puck but not be passed to until the puck crosses the line.

This x1000. Its simple, objective and requires no changes to the existing playing area

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I HATE HATE HATE the offsides in soccer, but I understand where you are coming from with this idea and thought about changing the off sides rule and improvements.

I would propose more of a judgement system like icing in that linesmen have to make a decision whether the play is in the spirit of the rule.

For instance if I have the puck and my teammate is still in the zone but he's coming toward the blueline, I can legally enter but I would not be able to pass it to him unless he's tagged up.

Also would propose a legal action if am carrying the puck and my teammate is straddling the line and going parallel to the blue line, making a concerted effort to be out of the zone. I feel play should continue without a whistle (again this would require some discretion from the linesman) .

Feel like these changes would eliminate a ton of whistles and still fall within the spirit of the "no cherry picking" intent as the rule was first created.

But that makes another bigger problem.the more power the zebras have the more it impacts the flow of the game. If you want the game to flow better you have to implement a hybrid system that doesn't rely upon any more judgment from the officials.

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
I would modify the offside rules: if any player handling the puck in the zone entry but his teammates are offside, the play may continue but all passes must be backward except for the shots made but cannot be tipped for the goal to be counted for the duration of offside slow whistle. If forward pass is made, then the offside would be called. If there is no option, they may dump the puck to the end zone but must vacate the zone. Other idea: if there is offside, then one player (last player back) cannot enter in the zone to help and must remain outside the blueline to make it 4 v 5 for the duration of the offensive zone time until the offside is waved off by vacant the zone. The offside MUST be called if there's a breakaway offside or receiving the pass in offside position upon the entry of the zone.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
Change offsides to 'easy on'. A team is onside once the puck touches the blue line. Then make the blue line about 6 feet wide. RIP 1-3-1.
I've always believed this to be the simplest and best solution, along with getting rid of the offsides challenge

IMO offsides should be called about as loosely as they call icing when they determine if the player was across the red line

Reactions: Nalens Oga

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
Offsides in Soccer is the very reason i don't watch that sport. So no, please don't change.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Imagine if you completely checked a defender out of his boots and he's just injured at his end boards slowly getting up so you get a dude just camping in front of the goalie waiting to get the puck for a 1 on 1 lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad