Would Gabriel Landeskog have won the Calder Trophy if...

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
It was the hockey gods making amends for Hejduk being absolutely robbed of it by Drury.

Landeskog was the most complete two-way forward that season. Even if RNH wasn't hurt he would not have been a better overall player...just merely a better point producer. I hate that the NHL awards that are not stat based (i.e. Calder, Norris, Selke) are becoming increasingly stat based. Hockey is a blood-sport. It's a sport of emotion, physicality and endurance. An NHL season from training camp through the last game of the Stanley Cup Final is about as close to war as you can get without the bullets and politics. It is blood, sweat, tears, injuries, playing through pain and leadership. It is a game of desire and those that have the most desire often times overcome tremendous odds and come out on top. And quite often they overcome teams with better stat based players. The first round of the playoffs in the NHL is unlike the first round of most other sports because there are so many under-dogs that advance. That hunger is tremendous and you can't nail it down with stats. There is a place and a time to honor individuals with great stats but there should also be a time and place to honor those significantly contribute to the excellence of the game regardless of stats. This is why I would like to see new awards created. I want the Norris renamed the Orr and given to that great offensive d-man every year but I want a Foote or Stevens award created to honor that shut-down type who doesn't get the accolades for lighting the red lamp. Recently the Selke is guilty as well for taking offensive output into the equation and I'd like to see that ammended somehow as well. /offsoapbox

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
We know for a fact that it's more than just points based. If the only thing they took into consideration were points, then it would have been Hejduk, not Drury, that won the Calder in '99.

Drury had 4 fewer points, but 6 more goals, in 3 fewer games. I can see why they voted that way(although it should have been Hejduk's).

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
We know for a fact that it's more than just points based. If the only thing they took into consideration were points, then it would have been Hejduk, not Drury, that won the Calder in '99.

This was not at all the reason Drury won. He won because he only had four fewer points than Hejduk, but he had 20 goals to Milan's 14. If it's between forwards, the highest point getter nearly always wins. If it's close, the edge goes to the goal scorer.

If it was more about who has the better complete game then Couture would have won two years ago with 56 points, rather than Skinner with 63.

LOL. Ya. Ok buddy.

You want to point out which part you disagree with and why? Or just post an unintelligent and super condescending response? If you just put 10% effort into being unbiased, you'd see it's pretty obvious that RNH would have won the Calder if he played in 20 more games.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
RNH would have won it in a landslide imo. He was significantly better than Landy who still was absolutely amazing. On the other hand you need more than just luck to stay healthy in this league when you play a physical game like Landy does. RNH would have won if he had stayed healthy but Landeskog still earned the trophy.

Punished ROR

a hero denied by hortons
Jul 3, 2006
You want to point out which part you disagree with and why? Or just post an unintelligent and super condescending response? If you just put 10% effort into being unbiased, you'd see it's pretty obvious that RNH would have won the Calder if he played in 20 more games.

I like how you even prefaced your (uncontroversial, I might add) statement by saying that you love the Avalanche, as if we can't make the smallest of concessions without stating our undying allegiance to the team we love, lest we be shouted out of the room for not being a a big enough homer. And clearly that's still not enough for some!

RNH would have won it in a landslide imo. He was significantly better than Landy who still was absolutely amazing. On the other hand you need more than just luck to stay healthy in this league when you play a physical game like Landy does. RNH would have won if he had stayed healthy but Landeskog still earned the trophy.

Exactly.

Last edited:

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Would Gabriel Landeskog still have won the Calder Trophy if Ryan Nugent-Hopkins played the full season of his rookie year?

No, RNH would have won easily. Landeskog was the more compete player, but these awards go to point scorers. Which makes the Norris a joke IMO, but whatever.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

It's really not though, unfortunately. The Calder gets thrown to a goaltender or defenseman now and again, but when they give it to a forward, it goes to the highest scoring forward. In fact, since 1999, a forward has won the Calder 8 times, and in every one of those 8 cases, it went to the highest scoring forward.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Drury had 4 fewer points, but 6 more goals, in 3 fewer games. I can see why they voted that way(although it should have been Hejduk's).

IMO he got it because of the post season, I know they swear up and down its reg. season based voting. But his playoffs were bananas

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I like how you even prefaced your (uncontroversial, I might add) statement by saying that you love the Avalanche, as if we can't make the smallest of concessions without stating our undying allegiance to the team we love, lest we be shouted out of the room for not being a a big enough homer. And clearly that's still not enough for some!

Exactly.

That's kinda what it's gotten to around here. Not a whole lot of objective thought, so you have to preface everything with things that should go unsaid just to limit a bunch of Pejorative Slured replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00