Would Gabriel Landeskog have won the Calder Trophy if...

TheBlueJacket

Jul 31, 2012
Would Gabriel Landeskog still have won the Calder Trophy if Ryan Nugent-Hopkins played the full season of his rookie year? Assuming Hopkins's points and +/- are what he was on pace to get.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Who knows. All that matters is that Landeskog had the better season and he deserved the award.

A few Oilers fans I know still occasionally bring up RNH's PPG. :laugh:

Bordeleau Of Blood

Archangel
Jul 28, 2005
It doesn't matter, RNH did get hurt and Landeskog played fantastic down the stretch in meaningful games while the Avs were fighting for a playoff spot (they didn't get eliminated until game 81). The right guy won the Calder.

TheBlueJacket

Jul 31, 2012
Ah, it's the What if game.
I'm just wondering if Landeskog won the calder because of his amazing defensive player or because Hopkins missed a quarter of the season. I don't know if missing a bunch of games hurt Hopkins's chances or the writers looked at his point and +/- pace instead of his actual stats.

TheBlueJacket

Jul 31, 2012
They give out awards based on actual stats, not hypothetical ones.
I don't even think they base their choice on stats, I think they base it on the player's play and Hopkin's play would be the same regardless if he played 82 games or 62.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Probably not. If RNH had played a full year he would have reached 90 pts. But being staying healthy is a part of the game. I think the nuge is going to have issues year in and out until he gets stronger.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Probably not. If RNH had played a full year he would have reached 90 pts. But being staying healthy is a part of the game. I think the nuge is going to have issues year in and out until he gets stronger.

ROTFL, seriously?

There is no telling what RNH would have done in the second half, he didn't do **** when he returned. It's quite common for rookies to start hot and finish cold regardless.

Landeskog however played even better in the second half, and a big part of that was his maturity level and his ability to step up another level. Everyone knows the second half of a full season is much harder and that's where Landeskog shinned. In tight games when everyone was fighting for playoff spots.

You can blow the what if horn all you want, but Landeskog did something not many rookies have been able to do. And that's step up when the games got even harder, and played even better.

To discount that based on RNH's point pace prior is wishfull thinking by Oilers fans, there is no guarantee he keeps that going regardless.

I hate the crap about RNH's point pace early in the season, it does not mean ****. If he was healthy he should of picked up where he left off, but he didn't.

Get off my lawn, absolutely he would have wont it. RNH has proven that he has trouble when the checking gets tighter since then anyways. He would of continued that as a rookie when he couldn't get it going later as a second year player? I don't think so... You people saying 'no' are not looking at the whole picture.

Have some ****ing pride and confidence, **** the kid proved he performs under pressure better than a lot of current experienced NHL players.

Last edited:

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
awww a "what if" the most famous expression of all time . Injuries are part of the game , it happened with RNH i'm sorry for him but there's nothing we can do about it .

Let me bring you back in time a little bit , in 1988-89 Brian Leetch won the Calder , no one will argue about him and his talent ,he was a great player . The problem is that in 1988-89 another player was tearing apart the NHL as a rookie ... Joe Sakic .

He was on his way to have a 100pts season on his rookie year, with a last place team on top of that . He got injured sometime b4 Xmas and the Nordiques had the bad idea to rush him to back in the lineup. At that time when he got injured he was leading the calder race , as a result , Sakic wasnt at 100 % when he came back and wasnt the same player, we were able to see that the edge that he had wasnt there anymore ,until the following season . So Leetch became the only player in the race and won

So what if ? do we take Leetch's Calder away from him because Sakic was injured ?

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
RNH shouldn't have even been in the NHL that year, he was obviously not physically ready and his body keeps being punished for it ever since.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
I've always kinda though Landeskog got it in part to make up for Stastny losing to Malkin and Duchene losing to Meyers and Howard.

You could argue Staz had a better "rookie" year than Malkin because of the point streak. And Dutchy helped his team to the playoffs. Howard did too but Howard played behind a Superstar team.

But we won't know why Lando won unless we know the criteria the voters used. The Avs challenged for a playoff spot and he was a key piece. The Oil stunk it up even with RNH healthy.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Probably not, but as it has been mentioned by Frenchy and others "what if" scenarios and situations have no affect on the results and shouldn't because health is big in hockey.

Landeskog deserved the Calder.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I think they should of said RNH was on pace for more points if he didn't get hurt and gave him the Calder based on potential like they dish out ridiculous contracts to players now days based on potential.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

LOL 90 points. He probably would have about 65 if he played a full season.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't know why it's even in doubt, of course he would have. I love the Avalanche, and Gabe is probably my favorite player right now, but RNH scored the same amount of points in 20 less games. The Calder is mostly points based. Defense and physical play doesn't factor in too much for forwards of that age. He easily would have won if he played in just ten more games, and put up a few more points.

Mant*

I don't know why it's even in doubt, of course he would have. I love the Avalanche, and Gabe is probably my favorite player right now, but RNH scored the same amount of points in 20 less games. The Calder is mostly points based. Defense and physical play doesn't factor in too much for forwards of that age. He easily would have won if he played in just ten more games, and put up a few more points.

We know for a fact that it's more than just points based. If the only thing they took into consideration were points, then it would have been Hejduk, not Drury, that won the Calder in '99.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN

LOL. Ya. Ok buddy.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Oh, this again. Been a while since I've seen this question.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad