Would elite defensive centers make good Dman?

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Things are very different between a center and a defenseman. Unless someone plays as a defenseman you have no idea how good or bad they will be.

I mean generally speaking, but some centers are so good defensively they can be used as defenseman, not Kesler though. I find him overrated defensively. The only merit he has defensively is he takes tough competition and is trusted defensively, but Bergeron, Datsyuk, Toews, Kopitar etc are tasked with similar tough competition and defensive zone starts and produce far better results.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
The tools they require are much different. So the answer is no. Just like Erik Karlsson won't make a good winger.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Most likely, yes. Sergei Federov has done it. Them being top dmen would be another issue, though.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I don't see why they couldn't be good defensemen. Whether they would be elite in that role too really remains to be seen

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
He's a better defensive centre than burns is a defensive dman.

But to think he could just pick up and play? No.
i don't think this is whether or not they could pick it up immediately, since he said "molded" in the OP. I think with good direction and practice in the offseason Bergeron could come out and play very respectably as a defenseman next year. His mind for the defensive side of the game is incredible

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Most likely, yes. Sergei Federov has done it. Them being top dmen would be another issue, though.
Fedorov was probably the best skater the NHL has ever seen.He was pretty unique and difficult to compair his skills to other forwards.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
i don't think this is whether or not they could pick it up immediately, since he said "molded" in the OP. I think with good direction and practice in the offseason Bergeron could come out and play very respectably as a defenseman next year. His mind for the defensive side of the game is incredible
I guess...

It would probably take 5-7 years to learn the position though

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
With all the injuries the Bruins have this year, it may happen this season. :laugh::cry:

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Good dmen? As in NHL level good? Absolutely not. Some of them might survive a period or even a game but in general they'd be abysmal. Don't kid yourself.

Reactions: Phu

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
As a kid I played tons of defense due to being the only LHS on the team. I was a center most of the time and liked it better but the coach would always put me on D in PP and if there was a D missing.
I could see guys like Barkov and Couturier being excellent defensemen. Basically anyone with solid positioning and hockey sense can spot as a D.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Bergeron might because he's just hockey personified, but it's a completely different position.

That's a good way to describe him.
A lot of these guys wouldn't have that much trouble transitioning.
Then there's the centres that have played a lot of years on the point on the power play. David Krejci for one actually looks really comfortable when he's defending against a short-handed chance.

Personally I think it's more difficult for wingers to play d and vice versa than centres.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad