Proposal: Would Edmonton be better without McDavid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Would Edmonton improve if they traded McDavid and got a great haul? As it stands now, his supporting cast is WAY too weak to get the team to a contending level - and let's be honest, Edmonton does not have an amazing pool of prospects either.

"What if"..

Winnepeg: McDavid

Edmonton: Scheifele, Morrissey, Connor.

Would Edmonton be a better team?

Would Winnepeg be worse?

Feel free to post other proposals from strong franchises, prying McDavid out of Edmonton - making them a better team in the process.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Unless you get a Lindros type of trade where you give up half your team basically and all your draft picks then no. Even then, the Oilers don't have the foundation that the Nordiques did before the trade, nor would I trust them to draft the right players.

He's there for at least 7 more years... Figure out how to get him to the playoffs...

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Would Edmonton be a better hockey team today if they took that Winnipeg trade? Yes. Undeniably Edmonton would improve, have a better record, probably be in the playoffs. Would they be legit contender? Not so sure about that.

But you have to remember the NHL is a business. None of those assets have the appeal or selling power that McDavid does. The Oilers arent hurting for money but theyd lose millions in revenue from memorabilia, I don't think kids in New Brunswick would he jumping at the change for a Scheiffle jersey. TV ratings would drop (probably get less national broadcasts), and overall be a less talked about team.

From a hockey trade perspective it makes Edmonton a better team, from a business perspective it makes no sense what so ever.

Reactions: MacBradley

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Would Edmonton be a better hockey team today if they took that Winnipeg trade? Yes. Undeniably Edmonton would improve, have a better record, probably be in the playoffs. Would they be legit contender? Not so sure about that.

But you have to remember the NHL is a business. None of those assets have the appeal or selling power that McDavid does. The Oilers arent hurting for money but theyd lose millions in revenue from memorabilia, I don't think kids in New Brunswick would he jumping at the change for a Scheiffle jersey. TV ratings would drop (probably get less national broadcasts), and overall be a less talked about team.

From a hockey trade perspective it makes Edmonton a better team, from a business perspective it makes no sense what so ever.

I understand what you're saying, but as a fan, I want my team to be as good as it gets, even if it means trading away the face of the franchise. Especially for three young players, would never do it for three 28+ guys for example.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
No way we give up that package.

I wouldn't even give up Scheifele and Morrissey, never mind throwing Connor in the mix.

We can't afford to lose our best D-man and expect to improve, even with McDavid. That's exactly what the problem with the Oilers is: a few elite pieces up front then absolutely nothing behind them.

Our depth is the only thing keeping us afloat this year. Ehlers, Byfuglien, Morrissey have all been out long-term. Depth is the key to success in today's league.

Would I give up: Scheifele (#1C), Connor(#1W), and someone like Lowry(#3c)? Sure. I doubt Edmonton would accept, though.

Last edited:

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
2 cents from a fan of a different team. Edmonton would be better off trying to shed some of their dead/bad contracts then signing/drafting players to play around McDavid. He would be the last person on the planet that I would trade. The only way I would is if the offer is completely ridiculous. The Winnipeg offer above (which Winnipeg would probably decline) wouldn't be enough for me to trade McDavid.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Not sure it matters.. nobody will give up enough value to make Edmonton say yes and still have a decent team afterwards.

If I'm Winnipeg, I keep your original package 10/10 times before trading it for McDavid.

Agreed, no chance the Jets would give that up. Oilers aren’t trading McDavid to any team.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
2 cents from a fan of a different team. Edmonton would be better off trying to shed some of their dead/bad contracts then signing/drafting players to play around McDavid. He would be the last person on the planet that I would trade. The only way I would is if the offer is completely ridiculous. The Winnipeg offer above (which Winnipeg would probably decline) wouldn't be enough for me to trade McDavid.

for me, i think that would be a great move esp seeing the mess that is Edm.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Would Edmonton improve if they traded McDavid and got a great haul? As it stands now, his supporting cast is WAY too weak to get the team to a contending level - and let's be honest, Edmonton does not have an amazing pool of prospects either.

"What if"..

Would Winnepeg be worse?

Feel free to post other proposals from strong franchises, prying McDavid out of Edmonton - making them a better team in the process.

Short answer: No.

Longer, but still short answer: No, any trade that would feasibly make sense for dealing McDavid would be an offer that another team would not make because it would gut them.

This idea is getting too cute for its own good. You don't trade away the best player in the league. You work on why you don't have a good supporting cast.

Edmonton already traded away their best player. Are they a better team now for dealing Taylor Hall?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

"What if"..

Would Winnepeg be worse?

Edmonton would be better without a ton of dead weight keeping them from having the cap space to have a good squad. The terrible decisions have compounded over the last 4 seasons or so to just make it worse.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
for me, i think that would be a great move esp seeing the mess that is Edm.

You guys should hire Ron Hextall for a couple seasons. He did a great job of stockpiling our prospect pool and trading away some bad salaries. The only things that I would worry about is his choice of coach and whether or not you are patient enough to wait through his rebuild. He was here 4.5 years and one could argue that the product on the ice was only slightly better than when he arrived. The only difference is that the future looks brighter.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I think the value for that trade is about right, but no way do the Jets pull the trigger.
Nobody can convince me that there's a trade involving the world's best player that ends up being a good trade for the team trading the best player away.

Reactions: TFHockey

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto

"What if"..

Would Winnepeg be worse?

Edmonton fans famously said they wouldn't trade McDavid for Matthews and Marner last summer.

They seem one stud is better than a plethora of stars so I doubt they will like this thread very much.

Reactions: TFHockey

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
How many teams are willing to gut their team for McDavid in the first place?

Keep in mind what it would take in real life is typically less then what it takes to happen hypothetically here on HFB. That being said I don’t see the Oilers trading him and I don’t see any team “gutting” their roster to get him. OP suggests trading a top 10-12 C (on one of the best contracts in the nhl), top pairing young D and first line young winger........no team does that for any single player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad