would Bob Nicholson be a good choice to replace Kevin Lowe

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Not trying to speculate on whether he would be interested in coming to Edmonton or even the nhl for that matter. Just wanna see what people think. He has done an outstanding job with hockey Canada and is well respected in the hockey world.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Not trying to speculate on whether he would be interested in coming to Edmonton or even the nhl for that matter. Just wanna see what people think. He has done an outstanding job with hockey Canada and is well respected in the hockey world.

he's worth at least 10 Lowes.

I think he'll end up being president and GM of the Canucks, though.

Playa Hejda

Oct 9, 2013
#yeg
Has he won any cups? Has he won 6 of them? I didn't think so. The President-For-Life says. He has a plan.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I think it would be a great idea. It would give our management instant credibility, which it so desperately needs. However, it's a pipe-dream. I wish Katz would do it, though. Just throw him however much money he wants, and tell him to turn this team into a winner. I'm sure he'd do a much better job than Lowe. Can it really be any worse?

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I guess, but if you're him why do you come here, when there are probably better jobs in the winds.

I agree but you never know some guys love a challenge and Edmonton is definitely that. I mean the team is a mess but it's got talent, the owner has deep pockets, a great fan base and a new arena coming. With the right person at the helm with a good vision then things could turn around relatively quickly and that person could look like a hero.

He also lives in Calgary so it would be close to home for him. But I agree with the other poster that the aquilinis and canucks would beat his door down with bags of money and tug at his bc hockey heart strings.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I agree but you never know some guys love a challenge and Edmonton is definitely that. I mean the team is a mess but it's got talent, the owner has deep pockets, a great fan base and a new arena coming. With the right person at the helm with a good vision then things could turn around relatively quickly and that person could look like a hero.

He also lives in Calgary so it would be close to home for him. But I agree with the other poster that the aquilinis and canucks would beat his door down with bags of money and tug at his bc hockey heart strings.

Maybe, I doubt anyone would want to come into this environment for less then "all the money" and even Katz isn't going to want to spend that.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Why bring in another guy to an important position with as far as his Bio says has zero NHL experience? I guess it's worked so well in the past, why not go back to that well again:laugh:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Guy built a damn nice home on the Okanagon lake and is leaving a job where he never took a lot of heat even when Canada wasn't winning. Don't see why he'd even come here. At 60 or 61 he should just put his feet up and enjoy life.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Old carrot fingers isn't going anywhere, although I hope he does the honorable thing and steps down off a very steep cliff.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Another rookie. That doesn't leave many positions left not filled by rookies.

Would be a Katz yes man for years to come.

If they replace Joey Moss I'll be pissed. The rest I don't care.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Well Lowe is such an integral part of hockey Canada as it is he should be taking over for Nicholson no? :)

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Is a POHO even needed? It's just an invented for retired iconic players or longstanding foot soldiers. Just skid Lowe. Katz should hire a quality administrator. The hockey people r in place.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Is a POHO even needed? It's just an invented for retired iconic players or longstanding foot soldiers. Just skid Lowe. Katz should hire a quality administrator. The hockey people r in place.

+1

Don't people remember when Lowe became "president"? He created the position at the same time Tambi was named GM. If we want Nicholson just hire him with the same position that Howson has and let MacT be a GM with full say-so

Last edited:

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
I don't want Nicholson in this organization.

I was laughing when I heard that Vancouver might be hiring him.

The man knows the game sure, but managing Hockey Canada isn't the same as managing an NHL team.

Uindicator

Sep 27, 2010
Would be the dumbest idea possible , which fits the oiler criteria right now. He has no experience running an nhl team , and to expect him to save this sunken ship of an organization is absolute lunacy. Let the circus show go on I guess, rookie pres, rookie gm, rookie coach , perfect formula.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Would be the dumbest idea possible , which fits the oiler criteria right now. He has no experience running an nhl team , and to expect him to save this sunken ship of an organization is absolute lunacy. Let the circus show go on I guess, rookie pres, rookie gm, rookie coach , perfect formula.
Well... tecnichally, the GM and head coach won't be rookies anymore after tomorrows game.:sarcasm: they will have the experience in the organization now to take a newbie on and show him the ropes. We're gonna be awesome next year!:yo:

DregerFan

Jul 4, 2007
Well... tecnichally, the GM and head coach won't be rookies anymore after tomorrows game.:sarcasm: they will have the experience in the organization now to take a newbie on and show him the ropes. We're gonna be awesome next year!:yo:

yeah... this organization loves to show newbies the ropes involved in making a noose :sarcasm:

Mr McV

Oct 9, 2008
Penticton
Today on Prime Time Sports, the possibility of Bob Nicholson becoming the new GM was brought up while discussing Vancouver. Bob McCown mentioned Edmonton was a city that that could be mentioned in the same sentence as Nicholson. It was one of those "I'm not saying, I'm just saying" kind of things. John Shannon said that Katz and Nicholson are very good friends.

I am not quoting them precisely, but that was sort of the gist of the comments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad