Would another Rocket make OV the GOAT goalscorer?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Lol. Imagine prime Tank Ovi in the 80s and early 90s. He is literally scoring every game. The average player was horrible...the goalies...horrible. He is putting up 100 easily.

Imagine Prime Tank Ovy having to answer for his cheap shots and getting ruined by Prime Tank Probert and others.

You too young to remember the clutch, grab, and all that fun stuff era? Or the fact that you can't hide behind your tough guys and refs back then as often as now if you play with an edge? Different era, the whole idiotic era adjusted crap is so insanely idiotic, it takes into account very specific variables to come to some lame ass conclusion that so and so would have scored more now vs someone that scored a ton then, which some how diminishes the goals they scored in that era.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
-Have to laugh at all the Washington hoopla. The franchise has been a colossal bust in the Ovechkin era and really their entire existence as a hockey team. They beat the Pens 1 time in the last 10 tries and we have to say their players are the best ever when we have clowned them for 3 decades. I actually pulled for Washington to win. That still doesnt change my mind that Ovi cant hold Lemieux's jockstrap.

Pens won back 2 back cups, people still came out in droves calling the team overrated.

Caps finally win 1 and they're the greatest team of all time and Ovechkin is now the greatest player to ever play the game.

Yeah, but you know, we're salty, high in sodium we are, hmm...

Reactions: PittsburghPens8771

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Lame response.

Goal scoring is down. Ovi still has the most right?

BTW, Lemieux was awesome

He won this year with 49 goals.

Laine had 44, Karlson had 43 and Malkin had 42. I mean you want a much bigger gap from the "goAT" goal scorer.

For example, Sid had 44 last year and some how, that was scoffed at because you know, 44 goals won the Rocket.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Imagine Prime Tank Ovy having to answer for his cheap shots and getting ruined by Prime Tank Probert and others.

You too young to remember the clutch, grab, and all that fun stuff era? Or the fact that you can't hide behind your tough guys and refs back then as often as now if you play with an edge? Different era, the whole idiotic era adjusted crap is so insanely idiotic, it takes into account very specific variables to come to some lame ass conclusion that so and so would have scored more now vs someone that scored a ton then, which some how diminishes the goals they scored in that era.

Lol ain't no one bullying Ovi. He is bigger than 99% of those players from the 80s. Players are waaay better now than in the past. The average player is way better....competition is so much better and the goalies are the best ever. There is so much more space if you rewatch a game from the 80s....most the players are slow and look like bear leaguers.

Ovi is dropping 100 goals with ease.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Lol ain't no one bullying Ovi. He is bigger than 99% of those players from the 80s. Players are waaay better now than in the past. The average player is way better....competition is so much better and the goalies are the best ever. There is so much more space if you rewatch a game from the 80s....most the players are slow and look like bear leaguers.

Ovi is dropping 100 goals with ease.

So you are assuming with today's training methods, equipment and what not, you're just plopping Ovy into that era thinking it'll be the same type of conditioning and what not?

That's cool, must be nice.

Reactions: Hippasus

mrv52

Jan 22, 2004
Did I sleep through him scoring 800+ goals?

That nap was supposed to be 2hrs, wtf.

I anxiously await some ppg stat that you will throw out which opens the door for you to be destroyed when other goal scorers are calculated for their gpg career.

Mmmkay, thx byeeee.
your condescension makes your argument weaker.

If this were a fistfight you would get punched in the throat

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
So you are assuming with today's training methods, equipment and what not, you're just plopping Ovy into that era thinking it'll be the same type of conditioning and what not?

That's cool, must be nice.

Give Ovy all that. And he is still putting up 100 with his eyes closed.

Players are just faster, more skillful and bigger now.

Ovy would go from facing tough competition of today to a bunch of slow dudes with second jobs.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
He won this year with 49 goals.

Laine had 44, Karlson had 43 and Malkin had 42. I mean you want a much bigger gap from the "goAT" goal scorer.

For example, Sid had 44 last year and some how, that was scoffed at because you know, 44 goals won the Rocket.

-My problem with it is

1) He isnt using a Wooden stick

2) The guy has 4896 total shots already. His shooting percentage for a career is a paltry 12%. He's already taken 1200+ more shots then Lemieux for a career. That is so silly its stupid. Ovi won the rocket this year. He also attempted almost 100+ more shots over every other player in the entire league. The whole offense is built to set him up for shots. Its why Washington always choked in the playoffs. 12% doesnt cut it. His shooting percentage ranked 126th this year, which sucks. He had a nice playoffs this year. Finally

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
-My problem with it is

2) The guy has 4896 total shots already. His shooting percentage for a career is a paltry 12%. He's already taken 1200+ more shots then Lemieux for a career. That is so silly its stupid. Ovi won the rocket this year. He also attempted almost 100+ more shots over every other player in the entire league. The whole offense is built to set him up for shots. Its why Washington always choked in the playoffs. 12% doesnt cut it. His shooting percentage ranked 126th this year, which sucks. He had a nice playoffs this year. Finally

-And its why Trotz is an idiot. But hey, credit to Washington, they finally won a cup. Finally.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015

So Ovis natural and learned talent is meaningless because dirty players would have assaulted him?

Players generally are better throughout the league these days than the past. This applies to stars as well, aside from smarts (but even there to some extent)

Reactions: Drakon

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
So Ovis natural and learned talent is meaningless because dirty players would have assaulted him?

And apparently you glossed over the training and the equipment because you know, the sticks he uses now are readily available back then.

Hint: Being an adult during "back then" too, it didn't exist.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
-My problem with it is

What are the save percentage differences amongst the top 15-30 or so goalies year over year compared?

Have league average save percentages generally increased since the 80's?

Reactions: Hippasus

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Pens won back 2 back cups, people still came out in droves calling the team overrated.

Caps finally win 1 and they're the greatest team of all time and Ovechkin is now the greatest player to ever play the game.

Yeah, but you know, we're salty, high in sodium we are, hmm...
Numerous posts in an ovechkin thread.

Screams indifference to me.

I always considered Hull the goat goal scorer but i think right now i think ovi will retire with that honor, 45 goal rr trophy or not.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
-My problem with it is

Greatest goal scorer and most efficient shooting% goal scorer are two different beasts.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Did I sleep through him scoring 800+ goals?

That nap was supposed to be 2hrs, wtf.

I anxiously await some ppg stat that you will throw out which opens the door for you to be destroyed when other goal scorers are calculated for their gpg career.

Mmmkay, thx byeeee.

Well since you asked for it, I guess I'll oblige. You may just have slept through his entire career so far. Damn shame.

Since entering the league Ovechkin has scored 607Gs in regular season play. That's the most in that time frame. The next most? Rick Nash with 420. That's nearly 200Gs more than the next guy. He has done so in 1007 regular season GP. That's a goals per game of .61, higher than Gretzky's of .59. He's the fourth player to score 600 in less than 1000 GP, the others being Gretzky, Lemieux, Hull. He's done so while the league has averaged under 3 goals per game his entire career other than his rookie season. Over Gretzky's career the league averaged significantly over 3 goals per game every year other than the last 3 and 94-95. Gretzky also did the vast majority of his goal scoring in the first 10 years of his career, when things were even less tight.

If you want to stick your head in the sand and romance a time where the forwards didn't play defense and the defense played defense by backing up until they were sitting on their woefully unequipped goalie then you go right ahead. Pretend there's no discernible difference between the two eras if you want to, but just saying it starts to look like willful ignorance after a while.

Last edited:

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
Greatest goal scorer and most efficient shooting% goal scorer are two different beasts.

-If thats the way you want to look at it, fine. He might have the most goals. I prefer efficiency like any smart General Manager would want. A 19% shooting percentage for a career vs a 12% shooting percentage screams not even close.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

What cheap shots? The type of thing you've been crying about through Ovechkin's career would hardly even register as a cheap shot in that era. On the rare occasion that it did he's absolutely big enough to shove back, and why's the other team the only one with a lunatic enforcer anyway? Because it might suit your point?

I look forward to this next year or so, watching you break down and whine as these threads get more frequent will be something to see.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
What are the save percentage differences amongst the top 15-30 or so goalies year over year compared?

Have league average save percentages generally increased since the 80's?

-Of course. Back in the 90's you are looking at around 89-91%. Today you are looking at 90-91.5%. The difference is there, but it is small. Thats my point with the efficiency numbers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad