Would a Winter Claasic ever come to Nashville?

codeyh

May 20, 2009
Cellblock 303
www.section303.com
Hmm that's why more games are on fox this year than ever. The t.v. ratings must be horrible. The Nashville media talks about the Preds the next day after every game. 102.5 has a segment with a preds color guy it's seems like everyday and coffee with a coach on Wed. No they are not going to be talked about more than the Titans. Neither do the Penguins in Pittsburg over the Steelers.

Yes, the TV numbers are still pretty bad. more games =/= more people watching.
102.5 has tons of Predators coverage because they're the flagship station. Much like why 104.5 has tons of Titans/Vols talk, because that's their product.

Struggling hockey market who has more kids playing hockey than ever before Middle TN and in the process of building a multi million dollar new facility in South Nashville. Yeah the hockey market is hurting.

Dallas built tons of rinks in the area, and still is not financially strong. You can polish a turd all you want, but you'll only end up with a dirty rag. Smashville's slowly growing, but support needs to grow with a winning product... which isn't happening.

And we won't mention the 1,800 comp per game avg last season (I know, short season, yadda yadda, but still).

You

Jul 1, 2010
Not sure how many people would turn out for water polo in Nashville.

Although maybe it doesn't have to be that cold, I have no idea.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Oh gosh am I going to be sentenced to jail time for my lack of detail on spelling Pittsburgh? Or you just going to bench me for my lack of the little things Trotz?

Who cares if the radio is not Preds talk 24 hours a day. That has nothing to do with my conversation with the other person about whether Nashville is such a crap hockey market like he tried to say.

Will we ever have a Winter Classic? No. but that still does not mean the hockey market in Nashville or the city sucks. The reason is it makes no sense to have something like that in the city of Nashville who has only had a hockey team for 15 years and haven't really done anything deserving of something like that. Win some championships and build the game in the area and then lets see. It doesn't have a damn thing to do with the size of the media.
wow, unclench.

1. I just added the H, it happened to be in the part I bolded because that sentence was the one that I wanted to respond.

2. YOU said it yourself "No they are not going to be talked about more than the Titans. Neither do the Penguins in PittsburgH over the Steelers." I said that you were mostly right, the Steelers will always be the bigger story, except that the Penguins DO get good coverage on gamedays and especially in the playoffs WITH or sometimes OVER the Steelers. I didn't say we needed to have 24/7 Preds coverage either. I merely pointed out that we don't get even a tenth of the gameday coverage that the Pens get. Would it not be nice to be able to listen to the afternoon shows on gamedays and maybe get a little bit of lockerroom sound from the Preds or maybe a soundbite from the coach or maybe a clue who is starting in goal that night?

3. And yes a lack of media coverage does have something to do with whether this is a crap hockey market or not. Our city is beautiful, it's the "It City", and it is growing day by day. But hockey market wise, it's not what it could be and that is partly to do with the lack of coverage in the media. You talk about building the game in the area. Well guess what, the media is part of that. The Predators have to do their part and for the most part they do an OK job. They are getting the Predator brand out there in more and more places everyday, although they aren't getting the Predators players out there more than just the community service jobs (when was the last time we saw a Predator do a commercial or read an ad on the radio). But they need the media, too. You're right, the size of the media doesn't matter one bit. It's the mindset of the media in this town. The media in this market doesn't give a crap about the Preds until it is convenient for them. They cover the Titans from July to January. Only after football season is over do they begin any real coverage of the Predators. The local sports on the news will go days without a single Preds story but will run the same Titans/UT/Vandy/Lipscomb/Belmont story for 2 days. We get little more than a cursory game wrap up in the paper. Willy Daunic is allowed just a brief update on the Preds during their afternoon show. The Sunday night sports shows give maybe a total of 3 minutes to the Predators. That's 3 minutes combined, from all 3 stations, if you're lucky, and they are jammed in with whatever other sports are going at that time. How hard would it be to have a wrap up of the week that was of the Preds and their upcoming week's schedule? Every channel has 2-3 sports anchors, why can't one go to the Preds practice and one go to the Titans practice and have a story on each team on the news? Every radio crew has 2-3 hosts, same question for those that aren't on the air at the time of teams practices. Whether people want to admit it or not, the media has an effect on the people in this town. For some people, if it's not talked about in the media, they don't know it's happening. They don't even look at the Predators until after football season. Like I said, the Predators have to do their part to help grow the game, but until the media here get out of the one or the other mindset and realize that it is in fact physically possible to cover and report on 2 pro teams at once, the Predators and this market will never grow the way they really could. This market is definitely not crap, but it's not great either.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
Yes, the TV numbers are still pretty bad. more games =/= more people watching.
102.5 has tons of Predators coverage because they're the flagship station. Much like why 104.5 has tons of Titans/Vols talk, because that's their product.

Dallas built tons of rinks in the area, and still is not financially strong. You can polish a turd all you want, but you'll only end up with a dirty rag. Smashville's slowly growing, but support needs to grow with a winning product... which isn't happening.

And we won't mention the 1,800 comp per game avg last season (I know, short season, yadda yadda, but still).

Care to prove and show these bad t.v. numbers you claim?

Also how can you say they get no coverage and then say they get a ton on 102.5?
I'm confused.
Fans attitudes like yours contributes to this "turd" feeling you type of.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
wow, unclench.

1. I just added the H, it happened to be in the part I bolded because that sentence was the one that I wanted to respond.

2. YOU said it yourself "No they are not going to be talked about more than the Titans. Neither do the Penguins in PittsburgH over the Steelers." I said that you were mostly right, the Steelers will always be the bigger story, except that the Penguins DO get good coverage on gamedays and especially in the playoffs WITH or sometimes OVER the Steelers. I didn't say we needed to have 24/7 Preds coverage either. I merely pointed out that we don't get even a tenth of the gameday coverage that the Pens get. Would it not be nice to be able to listen to the afternoon shows on gamedays and maybe get a little bit of lockerroom sound from the Preds or maybe a soundbite from the coach or maybe a clue who is starting in goal that night?

3. And yes a lack of media coverage does have something to do with whether this is a crap hockey market or not. Our city is beautiful, it's the "It City", and it is growing day by day. But hockey market wise, it's not what it could be and that is partly to do with the lack of coverage in the media. You talk about building the game in the area. Well guess what, the media is part of that. The Predators have to do their part and for the most part they do an OK job. They are getting the Predator brand out there in more and more places everyday, although they aren't getting the Predators players out there more than just the community service jobs (when was the last time we saw a Predator do a commercial or read an ad on the radio). But they need the media, too. You're right, the size of the media doesn't matter one bit. It's the mindset of the media in this town. The media in this market doesn't give a crap about the Preds until it is convenient for them. They cover the Titans from July to January. Only after football season is over do they begin any real coverage of the Predators. The local sports on the news will go days without a single Preds story but will run the same Titans/UT/Vandy/Lipscomb/Belmont story for 2 days. We get little more than a cursory game wrap up in the paper. Willy Daunic is allowed just a brief update on the Preds during their afternoon show. The Sunday night sports shows give maybe a total of 3 minutes to the Predators. That's 3 minutes combined, from all 3 stations, if you're lucky, and they are jammed in with whatever other sports are going at that time. How hard would it be to have a wrap up of the week that was of the Preds and their upcoming week's schedule? Every channel has 2-3 sports anchors, why can't one go to the Preds practice and one go to the Titans practice and have a story on each team on the news? Every radio crew has 2-3 hosts, same question for those that aren't on the air at the time of teams practices. Whether people want to admit it or not, the media has an effect on the people in this town. For some people, if it's not talked about in the media, they don't know it's happening. They don't even look at the Predators until after football season. Like I said, the Predators have to do their part to help grow the game, but until the media here get out of the one or the other mindset and realize that it is in fact physically possible to cover and report on 2 pro teams at once, the Predators and this market will never grow the way they really could. This market is definitely not crap, but it's not great either.
Then quit acting like it's crap then. I would be confident saying the Predators have more support than any other team in SEC country south of the Mason/Dixon.

Football will always be what it is in this area and people need to get over that. We have a good thing in Nashville and juat because everyone is pissy because the team is not that great does not mean that the support is crap.

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
Then quit acting like it's crap then. I would be confident saying the Predators have more support than any other team in SEC country south of the Mason/Dixon.

Football will always be what it is in this area and people need to get over that. We have a good thing in Nashville and juat because everyone is pissy because the team is not that great does not mean that the support is crap.

It isn't that they're behind football. They're behind the Titans, UT football, Vandy football, SEC football, general NFL talk, Vandy baseball/basketball, UT basketball, Belmont basketball, MTSU football, UT women's basketball, NASCAR, MLB, MMA. Probably WWE wrestling and monster truck too.

The reason the media doesn't talk about it because they no one in the area wants to hear it. Maybe 20,000 Predators fans in an area of like 1.5 million or so. It doesn't make sense for them.

Until we are selling out almost every night without giving away 2000 tickets per game and we have good TV numbers and have a big fan base, the media isn't going to care.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
It isn't that they're behind football. They're behind the Titans, UT football, Vandy football, SEC football, general NFL talk, Vandy baseball/basketball, UT basketball, Belmont basketball, MTSU football, UT women's basketball, NASCAR, MLB, MMA. Probably WWE wrestling and monster truck too.

The reason the media doesn't talk about it because they no one in the area wants to hear it. Maybe 20,000 Predators fans in an area of like 1.5 million or so. It doesn't make sense for them.

Until we are selling out almost every night without giving away 2000 tickets per game and we have good TV numbers and have a big fan base, the media isn't going to care.

Well, hell let's pack up the Predators and move them out of town the media doesn't care about them.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville

I'm confused.
Well, I remember earlier this year for a Thursday night game, the Preds drew a 0.8 rating, while a poorly-broadcasted high school football game got a 0.4 that same night. So, for every person watching low-budget crap high school football, only two were watching the Preds.

Our TV numbers aren't good. But I did read a Sports Biz Journal article saying the worst 5 markets at the end of last year were Florida, Anaheim, NY Islanders, New Jersey and LA. So we weren't bottom 5

Last edited:

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
Yeah pretty sure that is one game and that Thursday night was a huge game between two Rutherford County teams which by the way is far from crap football

Bad Karma

Nov 12, 2005
Nashville

I'm confused.

Go ask Mark Binda from channel 5, he'll give you all the numbers you need. He used to tweet them regularly.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Yeah pretty sure that is one game and that Thursday night was a huge game between two Rutherford County teams which by the way is far from crap football
My point is in a real hockey market, high school sports shouldn't approach the ratings of professional hockey.

Hockey here is weird and hard to explain. People like going to Preds games. You don't look like an idiot if you go out somewhere and ask for the game on TV. You come across a lot of people that can talk about the Preds in some way with you, and you don't see many people who just don't like the team. But it doesn't translate into being a hockey market per-se. We get a lot of people that like going to games as an entertainment option, but the number of people who will make the Preds a priority in their lives on game nights on a consistent basis is very low.

Last edited:

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
The Preds have over 150k likes on FB, even if only half of those are legit fans within the metro area, it shatters the ridiculous estimate that there are only 20k fans in the city.

Nashville seems to support the team more than Raleigh (a similar sized city) and I guarantee there are at least 100k fairly informed fans in that market.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
The Preds have over 150k likes on FB, even if only half of those are legit fans within the metro area, it shatters the ridiculous estimate that there are only 20k fans in the city.

Nashville seems to support the team more than Raleigh (a similar sized city) and I guarantee there are at least 100k fairly informed fans in that market.
I think 20k is a little low, but I wouldn't be shocked in the least if there was only 1 serious fan that makes the team a priority for every 7 or 8 that "likes" them on FB. Sure, people "like" the Preds but that doesn't mean a ton.

NSHPreds1835

Glads/Preds
May 24, 2011
Monroe GA
wow, unclench.

Such is life in a southern city with an NHL team. Hell I think the most attention Atlanta media paid to the Thrashers was in the run up to their re-location. The # of people who get excited about hockey in September or October in Atlanta or Nashville is relatively small compared to the # of people who get excited about the SEC, NFL and even MLB playoffs.

twig

Dec 8, 2013
Winter classic ? .. maybe not.
stadium series ? .. if they can play one in L.A. why not Nashville.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
Yeah Buffalo has such a bigger media market than Nashville.

that's really an anomaly though. these other teams playing outdoors are actually good and don't lose to calgary and other bottom feeder teams. winter classic and 24/7 like to have original 6 teams and bigger media market teams. makes since. Nashville is a loooooong ways from ever being in either of these.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
that's really an anomaly though. these other teams playing outdoors are actually good and don't lose to calgary and other bottom feeder teams. winter classic and 24/7 like to have original 6 teams and bigger media market teams. makes since. Nashville is a loooooong ways from ever being in either of these.

Apparently you haven't seen many Chicago - Edmonton games over the last few years.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
My point is in a real hockey market, high school sports shouldn't approach the ratings of professional hockey.

Hockey here is weird and hard to explain. People like going to Preds games. You don't look like an idiot if you go out somewhere and ask for the game on TV. You come across a lot of people that can talk about the Preds in some way with you, and you don't see many people who just don't like the team. But it doesn't translate into being a hockey market per-se. We get a lot of people that like going to games as an entertainment option, but the number of people who will make the Preds a priority in their lives on game nights on a consistent basis is very low.

HS football cuts into hockey attendance for the Chicago Wolves / BlackHawks and the Milwaukee Admirals in the fall. Ditto with the Packers for Milwaukee. On the other hand, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel now has a full page of hockey related coverage and ads once a week. They cover the Badgers and Admirals. Before 2014, I never saw this. I think it is because the Admirals fans have been very vocal about this for the last 20 years and now the newspaper is teetering on the brink!

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
No, you missed the point: if Nashville can't handle an event the size of a Winter Classic, it can't host something the size of a BCS Bowl game.

When did the Music City Bowl become a BCS bowl? Last I checked those were all well south of Tennessee.

Having spent every New Year's for the last few years in the area, I don't think the weather would be that much of a concern. It's more that I'm not sure how much "spectacle" could be counted on. The Winter Classic is supposed to be focused on the game itself, and what Nashville can best offer is the city. Frankly an ASG would be a much better fit IMO.

...actually, there's a thought. An outdoor All Star Game? :D

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I think it's more the latter and not the former. JS Corp is seeing its media ventures drop like a rock.

A recent issue of the MJS was thinner than the community newspaper. They have to be sinking to put out about 20 pages. I remember 300 page newspapers from them.
They have alienated so many groups with their obnoxious coverage or lack of coverage over the past 25 years. Now people ignore them. They just had another reorganization for papers/ TV/ radio in the US.

Hockey has been under covered in the US. The MJS is diagonally across the street from the Bradley Center for those of you not from Milwaukee.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
I was meaning for the future, and the BCS Playoff Championship. I suspect LP Field isn't on the short list of venues to host the BCS title game anytime soon.

And you're preaching to the choir about the MJS, adsfan.

Uncle Bill

Know it all
Sep 21, 2011
All hockey markets not located in Canada are struggling - and even some of them are struggling (see: Winnipeg).

Wha? Where does this come from? Sold out season tickets in mere minutes after release. Third highest average ticket price in the league. Among the top revenue producers in first two seasons. Can you expand on your posit Winnipeg is struggling?

Uncle Bill

Know it all
Sep 21, 2011
BTW, the Jets will be playing a Heritage Classic Hockey game at Investors Group Field in Winnipeg in 2016. It'll easily sell out 40,000 seats.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3