Would a Winter Claasic ever come to Nashville?

NorthAlPredfan

Dec 18, 2010
Huntsville, Al
I guess I could see the small market argument but if they're doing a game in LA this season then I can't see winter in Nashville as a deterrent. Maybe we'll be big enough one of these days.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
No chance we get a Winter Classic. Those are reserved for the big markets (understandably so). Best we can hope for is something like the Stadium Series eventually.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
All I can say is why? Other than the Over Hyped publicity, I do not see any reason for them. I personally wouldn't attend even if I was paid to go. The views are HORRIBLE from the pictures of some of these games. I'd rather just stay in arenas where you can at least see the game play.

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
Nashville wouldn't draw the interest from the area to fill up a football stadium. The market is crap hockey market. Not to mention we do not have the players that draw casual fans. We don't make it to TV and thus have no national draw either.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
Nashville wouldn't draw the interest from the area to fill up a football stadium. The market is crap hockey market. Not to mention we do not have the players that draw casual fans. We don't make it to TV and thus have no national draw either.

No we are not Detroit or Toronto but the rest of what you said is crap.

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
No we are not Detroit or Toronto but the rest of what you said is crap.

We don't have the history or the exciting players that team usually have in the Winter Classic. We aren't a draw on national TV. Our TV numbers struggle here. We have to give away thousands of tickets to sell out at already very low prices. I turned on the radio this morning, no talk what-so-ever about the NHL, the Winter Classic, the WJC US team choking, the Olympic roster. They'd rather talk about MTSU women's softball than our NHL team. This isn't the market that could support a Winter Classic.

Not saying we won't get there eventually, but at this time, this is a struggling hockey market.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
We don't have the history or the exciting players that team usually have in the Winter Classic. We aren't a draw on national TV. Our TV numbers struggle here. We have to give away thousands of tickets to sell out at already very low prices. I turned on the radio this morning, no talk what-so-ever about the NHL, the Winter Classic, the WJC US team choking, the Olympic roster. They'd rather talk about MTSU women's softball than our NHL team. This isn't the market that could support a Winter Classic.

Not saying we won't get there eventually, but at this time, this is a struggling hockey market.

Hmm that's why more games are on fox this year than ever. The t.v. ratings must be horrible. The Nashville media talks about the Preds the next day after every game. 102.5 has a segment with a preds color guy it's seems like everyday and coffee with a coach on Wed. No they are not going to be talked about more than the Titans. Neither do the Penguins in Pittsburg over the Steelers.

Struggling hockey market who has more kids playing hockey than ever before Middle TN and in the process of building a multi million dollar new facility in South Nashville. Yeah the hockey market is hurting.

Fo Shea Shea

Nov 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
Hmm that's why more games are on fox this year than ever. The t.v. ratings must be horrible. The Nashville media talks about the Preds the next day after every game. 102.5 has a segment with a preds color guy it's seems like everyday and coffee with a coach on Wed. No they are not going to be talked about more than the Titans. Neither do the Penguins in Pittsburg over the Steelers.

Struggling hockey market who has more kids playing hockey than ever before Middle TN and in the process of building a multi million dollar new facility in South Nashville. Yeah the hockey market is hurting.

None of that matters because this "thriving hockey market" still isn't going to support an event the size of the Winter Classic.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
So when are they going to relocate the Music City Bowl, then?

Yeah there is no way they can have the Winter Classic if they have the Music City Bowl. They could change the date but it would take days to get the ice ready at LP Field.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Hmm that's why more games are on fox this year than ever. The t.v. ratings must be horrible. The Nashville media talks about the Preds the next day after every game. 102.5 has a segment with a preds color guy it's seems like everyday and coffee with a coach on Wed. No they are not going to be talked about more than the Titans. Neither do the Penguins in PittsburgH over the Steelers.

That's mostly true, but on gamedays there is thorough coverage of the Pens, even when the Steelers are playing. Plus it helps that the guys on the sports talk radio stations up there actually know hockey. Now when it's playoff time, gamedays are pretty much wall to wall Pens coverage. Reports from morning skate, the locker room, the coach, the other team. There are still segments of Steelers, Pirates, other news, but the focus of the show is all Pens. Not like here in the playoffs, it's still 1 1/2 hours of NFL draft, 30 minutes of baseball, 30 mins of spring football, and maybe 30 minutes of Preds coverage.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
No, you missed the point: if Nashville can't handle an event the size of a Winter Classic, it can't host something the size of a BCS Bowl game.

Last edited:

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
That's mostly true, but on gamedays there is thorough coverage of the Pens, even when the Steelers are playing. Plus it helps that the guys on the sports talk radio stations up there actually know hockey. Now when it's playoff time, gamedays are pretty much wall to wall Pens coverage. Reports from morning skate, the locker room, the coach, the other team. There are still segments of Steelers, Pirates, other news, but the focus of the show is all Pens. Not like here in the playoffs, it's still 1 1/2 hours of NFL draft, 30 minutes of baseball, 30 mins of spring football, and maybe 30 minutes of Preds coverage.

Oh gosh am I going to be sentenced to jail time for my lack of detail on spelling Pittsburgh? Or you just going to bench me for my lack of the little things Trotz?

Who cares if the radio is not Preds talk 24 hours a day. That has nothing to do with my conversation with the other person about whether Nashville is such a crap hockey market like he tried to say.

Will we ever have a Winter Classic? No. but that still does not mean the hockey market in Nashville or the city sucks. The reason is it makes no sense to have something like that in the city of Nashville who has only had a hockey team for 15 years and haven't really done anything deserving of something like that. Win some championships and build the game in the area and then lets see. It doesn't have a damn thing to do with the size of the media.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad