News Article: Worst start in franchise history

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Why does everyone blame Eakins? The guy has no starter, no #1 defenseman, and no centre depth. While its true that the majority of players are under performing, the guy wasn't allowed to select his captain, select his assistant coaches, and he was hired as amateur.

I always considered him a puppet, doing whatever Lowe and MacT wants

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Why does everyone blame Eakins? The guy has no starter, no #1 defenseman, and no centre depth. While its true that the majority of players are under performing, the guy wasn't allowed to select his captain, select his assistant coaches, and he was hired as amateur.

Because he's a horrifically bad coach

If he's a puppet, then it's even worse because he's more of a sycophant than a coach

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
You think management told him to do all of the things he has done? I find it highly unlikely. Eakins is a good minor league coach, but needs to spend more time as an assistant before he might be able to produce in the NHL (if ever).

Nobody is faulting the guy for taking the job, but this is not going to end well for him. If he feels he has been dealt a bad hand, then I suppose he is finding it hard to turn up at the rink every morning. He has to know this ends with him being fired. It is just a matter of when, not if.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
It's a good thing we've endured 8 years of **** only to have one of our worse starts in franchise history. Bravo Lowe and MacT, bravo.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
You think management told him to do all of the things he has done? I find it highly unlikely. Eakins is a good minor league coach, but needs to spend more time as an assistant before he might be able to produce in the NHL (if ever).

Nobody is faulting the guy for taking the job, but this is not going to end well for him. If he feels he has been dealt a bad hand, then I suppose he is finding it hard to turn up at the rink every morning. He has to know this ends with him being fired. It is just a matter of when, not if.

No, but I highly doubt he's given the autonomy to perform his job completely effectively. What if he wanted to scratch Eberle one day? Or strip Ference of his captaincy?

I just wonder why Kruger was so effective, yet wasn't given the same tenure? I believe it was because he wasn't the puppet Lowe wanted.

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
It's a good thing we've endured 8 years of **** only to have one of our worse starts in franchise history. Bravo Lowe and MacT, bravo.

This. I haven't lived in Edmonton for 11 years and now the jersey and hat I keep are a source of embarrassment that I almost never bring out anymore.

Pisses me off how much this piece of **** franchise dominates my life during the season. I wish I could just tune it out now.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Most of that is false.
He chose Ference during his first camp cause he liked his attitude. He was told he could make decisions about coaching staff so he brought on Acton and kept the other two.

The systems the entire team is playing is awful. Most of our players would look much much better on other teams. Thsts a coaches responsibility

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Why does a Flames fan care what HFOil thinks?

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm sorry but I thought that loss #5 tied us with the 1992 team... am I wrong?

That's what I thought too, but I'm guessing since the '92 team went 0W, 4L, 1T they think that's better than 0W, 4L, 1OTL?

Doesn't make sense to me, as an OTL is just a tie that has a skills competition afterwards. Should be tied with the '92 team IMO.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
This. I haven't lived in Edmonton for 11 years and now the jersey and hat I keep are a source of embarrassment that I almost never bring out anymore.

Pisses me off how much this piece of **** franchise dominates my life during the season. I wish I could just tune it out now.

For me personally, I'm numb to the losses, the disappointment and the failure. The organization has been so horrible for so long that I just don't care anymore. Even last year I was frustrated and upset. Now, I've come to the realization that this team will never be competitive.

What blows my mind still though is how Katz is completely fine with failure. I get that the management team are his old buddies, but is Katz's only motivation profit? Does he have no desire to win?

I also can't believe the level of nepotism and lack of accountability in this organization.

Let's look at our history: Lowe gets promoted into the president of operations despite zero experience. Tambellini gets hired as GM, despite zero experience. Krueger is made head coach, despite zero experience. Tambellini is fired and replaced by MacT despite zero experience. Krueger is fired and replaced by Eakins despite zero experience. In essence, we've got the three most critical organizational positions filled by individuals who had ZERO previous experience and ZERO previous successes doing what they do now. Add in the fact that this team was young, rebuilding and needing experienced leadership is enough to almost make a person laugh.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria

This is a whole to of wrong.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The really disgraceful thing is that LA aside, each game was perfectly winnable. Now we have Stamkos and Ovi coming to town with Subban following not long after.

And then we get to go on the road and face Philly and Boston... Never mind when we have to play St. Louis, Chicago, Minnesota...

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

He has more then Kruger had and he managed to make Dubnyk look like a starter and the team to play .500 hockey...

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

ditto. I am disgusted with myself that I can't seem to tune it out and take up something else. Maybe make saturday nights Monopoly night. Anything to end this Oilers addiction. I hate it. I hate myself.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
We can fire coaching and management. Toss all of these clowns out. I would be shockingly outraged that no one has been fired yet if the last eight years didn't make me know better.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
No, but I highly doubt he's given the autonomy to perform his job completely effectively. What if he wanted to scratch Eberle one day? Or strip Ference of his captaincy?

I just wonder why Kruger was so effective, yet wasn't given the same tenure? I believe it was because he wasn't the puppet Lowe wanted.

He showed to much progress. :badidea:

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth

This article is not everyone. I agree with you he is just a symptom of a bigger disease.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad