Worst skaters you've ever seen?

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Recently it's Jori Lehtera and Cam Janssen. Janssen has the excuse that he was never really intended to be a hockey player. I remember him gathering a puck as he got off the bench. It would've been a breakaway for any legit NHLer, but he bumbled and stumbled his way to a turnover. It was so damn funny. Lehtera at least kind of has some skill, but his skating is remarkably bad.

Also post-knee-destruction Cheechoo. He was a bad skater before the injuries, but after them he was house league level.

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
First two names that came to my mind were Jason Allison and Andrew Brunette. Allison was nearly a PPG player over his career and Brunette was relied upon for >45 points for 10+ seasons. Just a testament to how valuable hockey IQ is.

AngryScotsman

Feb 17, 2013
Northern Ontario
Watching Jason Allison at the end of the career felt like you were watching the game at literally 1/2 speed. It's a testament to his skill that he was able to hang around as long as he did being as slow as he was.

Can't believe it took that long for his name to come up in this thread. He used to drive me bonkers.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Jason Allison. I saw him in person a few times and I remember thinking I could outskate him. I mean, I was a pretty good player but this man was in the best league in the world.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

He was a bad skater to begin with but once those knee injuries started up, he was awkward looking. I never understood why no skating coach got that "pitchfork" style out of his skating. So much wasted energy doing that. It also slows you down.

Pav96

Nov 22, 2016
Nikitin, Man was he slow and it looked like he was trying so hard. can't believe we traded a pick and then paid that bum 4.5 Mil x 2.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Nail Yakupov isn't really a bad skater but certainly ugly. The guy looks like he should be faster than Mcdavid with how much energy he puts in his skating but almost always ends up being easily angled to the outside/perimeter by defenders.

EDIT: Jason Allison was abysmal. Seen it a couple posts above and had to agree.

Ryan Whitney after he had ankle surgery. Was literally a pylon on the ice.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I won't repeat the handful of obvious but I've always thought Phaneuf was pretty soft on his skates. Straight line he isn't bad once he gets chugging, but he's got terrible balance and falls down with no help far too often.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad