Player Discussion Worst Sabre 2010-2020 - Nominations (Deadline february 28th)

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Many good player suggestions but I think Tim Murray is the defining Sabre of the decade

could have been good, had all the tools, but a few major flaws crippled him in the long run

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
If there isn't a min game limit then no one can possibly beat the uselessness of Dalton Smith being dressed right? The only nominee to beat that would be when we dressed Sam to sit on the bench and not play at all.
meh, neither of them cost "us" (as fans) or the Sabres team anything tangible.

Leino cost us some UFA money. Skinner cost us cap space for the next decade. Tage cost us ROR.

But Bogosian is still the worst.
Botterill and Housley cost us our most precious commodity - HOPE!

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Better off calling it the Ville Leino award and giving it to the runner-up.

w640xh480_LeinoJail.jpg

I laugh every time I see this drawing of the sad dude

Leino cost us some UFA money. Skinner cost us cap space for the next decade. Tage cost us ROR.

But Bogosian is still the worst.

Tage didn't cost us ROR, Jason Botterill and the Pegula's did

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I'll say Shaone Morrisonn. I would say Scott, but his off-ice stuff and his presence in the locker room makes up the gap of him not being useless.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I'll say Shaone Morrisonn. I would say Scott, but his off-ice stuff and his presence in the locker room makes up the gap of him not being useless.

Scott knocking out Thornton was maybe the single bright spot of the last decade for us....man that is sad....

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
What's telling about this thread isn't who may or may not be the frontrunner, but rather the quantity of viable candidates.

If we're expanding our search beyond actual players, then clearly the Pegula's have this award on lock down.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
What's telling about this thread isn't who may or may not be the frontrunner, but rather the quantity of viable candidates.

If we're expanding our search beyond actual players, then clearly the Pegula's have this award on lock down.
1) First and second team all-decade-of-suck 2011-20 team, 3 forwards, 2 d-men, 1 goalie for each team.
2) Coach / management category.
3) To dishonor the Pegulas, call it the Hockey Hell awards.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I was only half serious with the Tage nomination since he's one of the main whipping boys currently.
Tage is mourning the loss of his relatives. Three rare giraffes were electrocuted in Kenya when they walked into low hanging power lines and you're making jokes? We'll have to schedule sensitivity training sessions.

Last edited:
Reactions: EmeraldCitySabre

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Many good player suggestions but I think Tim Murray is the defining Sabre of the decade

could have been good, had all the tools, but a few major flaws crippled him in the long run

For all of Tim Murray's screwups and mouth diarrhea, he got this team ROR and made no fuss about tanking for McDavid. For that alone, I don't think he belongs on this list

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
If there isn't a min game limit then no one can possibly beat the uselessness of Dalton Smith being dressed right? The only nominee to beat that would be when we dressed Sam to sit on the bench and not play at all.
I think you underestimate the total negative impact over time of some of our players.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Lehner-good first year then went into a spiral

Grigorenko—bust
Nylander— bust

kulikov—doorgate
Grigorenko was at least part of the good ROR trade.
Nylander meant the consolation prize Jokiharju (who would be a disappointment if taken with the Nylander pick).

Kulikov is a strong nominee since GMTM based his roster build on Kulikov being a difference maker. The negative effects of doorgate shouldn't be underestimated.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Matt Ellis had some of the worst offensive skills I've ever seen for an NHL regular. I get that he had "intangibles", but watching him with the puck on his stick was painful.

I'll go with him or Leino. Honorable mentions to Franson, Cal O'Reilly, and Carlo Colaiacovo.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
I will offer up Lehner. He should be in the running solely based on the number of points we lost due to him almost literally letting in every single shot he faced in shootouts. Seriously, we should have started pulling him with a minute left in OT.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Grigorenko was at least part of the good ROR trade.
Nylander meant the consolation prize Jokiharju (who would be a disappointment if taken with the Nylander pick).

Kulikov is a strong nominee since GMTM based his roster build on Kulikov being a difference maker. The negative effects of doorgate shouldn't be underestimated.

That's just flatout wrong.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
It might be Josh Gorges. He constantly got top 4 for three seasons and was just obliterated constantly. His 4th season his TOI got cut. But my god.

And we gave up a 2nd rounder to get him.

Benoit/Mezaros/Strachan were also just absolute trash d-men. We paid Mezaros like 4M for 1 year. The tank team defense was just absolute garbage fire. We can hate on Leino, but that was us trying to be actually good. When we were actively trying to be bad, hoo boy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad