Worst recent trade involving a future high 1st round pick (Seguin, Duchene, Karlsson)

Worst trade for the team mentioned ?

• Toronto acquiring Kessel

Votes: 44 32.4%
  • Ottawa acquiring Duchene

Votes: 63 46.3%
  • San Jose acquiring Karlsson

Votes: 29 21.3%

• Total voters

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Duchene, easily. Got almost nothing out of it. Way too early to call on Karlsson and the Leafs got some decent mileage out of Kessel, even if it didn't result in much. Compared to those Duchene in a landslide.
When Toronto traded Phil Kessel to Pittsburgh and got the Penguins 2016 1st round pick, they used it trade for Frederik Andersen from Anaheim.

I also know that Auston Matthews wasn't apart of that trade tree when looking back. However it's fair to say if Toronto never traded Kessel chances are they win a few more games during the 2015-16 season, which means they never finish last place overall and get the 1st overall pick for the 2016 draft. They had 69 points and were only 1 point behind Edmonton who finished with 70 points.

Reactions: Voight

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
There still needs to be a lot more time for the jury to rule on Erik Karlsson and Matt Duchene. Asset for asset Byram is way more valuable then what Ottawa salvaged but it did somewhat kickstart their current situation including trading Karlsson. Sharks pick we don't know what happens, reach on Sanderson and that's an asset with less value than a declining EK.

I'll be honest though even with hindsight I think both trades will haunt these teams, but I'll vote the Duchene deal for now.

Also the Kessel trade ended up being meh, Boston squandered those assets and Toronto used it to set up their current position getting guys like Andersen and Kapenen, never trading him the second time probably sends Matthews to Edmonton.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Also the Kessel trade ended up being meh, Boston squandered those assets and Toronto used it to set up their current position getting guys like Andersen and Kapenen, never trading him the second time probably sends Matthews to Edmonton.
Since Edmonton finished 1 point ahead of Toronto in the 2015-16 season and we saw the Maple Leafs win the draft lottery with the 4 numbers assigned to the last place overall team, then yes the Oilers would have got the 1st overall pick in 2016 and selected Auston Matthews.

Reactions: Voight

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Duchene has never really been that good. Even with the Kessel trade, the Leafs got a super-talented goal scorer. If EK can get back to being healthy the Sharks are going to have a real good player for 6 or so years. Duchene was always just an underwhelming 1C

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
Duchene, easily. Got almost nothing out of it. Way too early to call on Karlsson and the Leafs got some decent mileage out of Kessel, even if it didn't result in much. Compared to those Duchene in a landslide.

Exactly. The Kessel trade obviously wasn't great in hindsight because it was two really good players that ended up going the other way, but it's got no business being mentioned in the same category as other awful trades I regularly see it get mentioned with. The guy led the Leafs in scoring every year he was there and has went on to score 700+ points since Boston dealt him. The Leafs didn't exactly get nothing in return in that trade.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Went with Toronto.

Ottawa and San Jose at least had somewhat of a reason to believe they could contend. San Jose especially.

Toronto knew they were terrible and knew that Kessel was not going to magically boost them out of the depths and still made that trade.

When trading picks, I think it's important to consider what they were expected to be.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
Went with Toronto.

Ottawa and San Jose at least had somewhat of a reason to believe they could contend. San Jose especially.

Toronto knew they were terrible and knew that Kessel was not going to magically boost them out of the depths and still made that trade.

When trading picks, I think it's important to consider what they were expected to be.

This. At least OTT and SJ had recent success to suggest that they need a piece to put them over the top. Leafs were coming off four years outside the playoffs and two years of being in last place in the division.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Went with Toronto.

Toronto actually got to sign and enjoy having Kessel, he was quite productive for them. 6 years just under ppg. If Hamilton and Seguin actually became Boston legends, I might feel differently, but both were moved on from pretty quickly and the team seems to be better off for it.

Same with San Jose. Sure, they might have given up a top 3 pick and a bunch of other assets, but at least they are getting some term with Karlsson.

Duchene played 108 games for Ottawa.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
San Jose went to the WCF with a half-healthy Karlsson so he was resigned in hopes of continuing that success. And while he might not be his former prime self, he’s still a great offensive defenseman to have. Kessel played in Toronto for years and later helped get assets for the rebuild.

Duchene didn’t play long in Ottawa, and they didn’t go anywhere far with him. Time will tell how Byram turns out though, and just like whoever Ott takes with the sjs pick, that will be a big factor.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
None were horrible but I guess the Ottawa one was worst for them since they didn't really get anything out of Duchene either.

I mean technically they got Lassi Thomson out of it, who looks like a potential high end top 4 d-man.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Depends on how you look at it.

I think the Kessel trade is easily the worst value. A winger for two extremely high picks that ended up being phenomenal players. Toronto would have been so much better off with Seguin and Hamilton than Kessel. Plus Toronto knew they weren't that good. That being said, in the long term Boston shat away both those players for a whole lot of nothing and Toronto did get some very good years out of Kessel. Takes away the sting.

The Duchene trade ended up a lot worse for Ottawa. The value on it's face isn't terrible but the fact Ottawa ended up being god awful immediately and Duchene is gone is just ugly.

So I'm really torn between the two and I can see the argument for either.

Mar 26, 2010
The worst trade in the last decade of the NHL is Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson! That was armed robbery!

Hall for a bottom pairing D man.

Out of the poll, it is Ottawa trading for Duchene.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Depends on how you look at it.

I think the Kessel trade is easily the worst value. A winger for two extremely high picks that ended up being phenomenal players. Toronto would have been so much better off with Seguin and Hamilton than Kessel. Plus Toronto knew they weren't that good. That being said, in the long term Boston shat away both those players for a whole lot of nothing and Toronto did get some very good years out of Kessel. Takes away the sting.

The Duchene trade ended up a lot worse for Ottawa. The value on it's face isn't terrible but the fact Ottawa ended up being god awful immediately and Duchene is gone is just ugly.

So I'm really torn between the two and I can see the argument for either.
Even if Toronto doesn't originally trade for Kessel the only guarantee player they select with those 1st round picks is Seguin since he was 2nd overall. No one can say 100% they would have taken Hamilton 9th overall in 2011.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I have no idea why Brian Burke thought giving 2 first rounds picks for Kessel was a good idea

Well...he grossly overestimated just how bad the team was. They had a brief resurgence under Ron Wilson before Burke showed up, but Wilson always seems to start off strong and get the most out of grinders before the players turn on him and things go south. He was definitely assuming those two first rounders would be mid-to-low first rounders.

The trade itself wasn't so bad--he got a legit superstar to build around. It's almost literally everything else he did that didn't work out.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
When Toronto traded Phil Kessel to Pittsburgh and got the Penguins 2016 1st round pick, they used it trade for Frederik Andersen from Anaheim.

I also know that Auston Matthews wasn't apart of that trade tree when looking back. However it's fair to say if Toronto never traded Kessel chances are they win a few more games during the 2015-16 season, which means they never finish last place overall and get the 1st overall pick for the 2016 draft. They had 69 points and were only 1 point behind Edmonton who finished with 70 points.

+ while MLSE had already given Shanahan the go ahead to tear it all down, they didn't truly go scorched earth until the Kessel trade.

They definitely could have received "more" but Shanahan just wanted to move him out and kick start the rebuild ASAP, and draft time is usually the best to make a major trade

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
+ while MLSE had already given Shanahan the go ahead to tear it all down, they didn't truly go scorched earth until the Kessel trade.

They definitely could have received "more" but Shanahan just wanted to move him out and kick start the rebuild ASAP, and draft time is usually the best to make a major trade
I always believed Shanahan traded Kessel ASAP because he held him responsible for that "salute gate" incident.

They also didn't get more because among Kessel approved 8 team trade list, only Pittsburgh was willing to talk about trading for him.

Finally Kessel was traded on July 1, 2015 and that was after the 2015 Draft.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I always believed Shanahan traded Kessel ASAP because he held him responsible for that "salute gate" incident.

They also didn't get more because among Kessel approved 8 team trade list, only Pittsburgh was willing to talk about trading for him.

Finally Kessel was traded on July 1, 2015 and that was after the 2015 Draft.

What I meant was the draft to early free agency period is the best for trades as teams have more cap space than at any point during the year and have yet to give out any new deals potentially compromising their cap space.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
What I meant was the draft to early free agency period is the best for trades as teams have more cap space than at any point during the year and have yet to give out any new deals potentially compromising their cap space.
I see what your saying.

Also I remember on the day of the 2015 draft talk that Pittsburgh was interested in Kessel and I think there was video footage of Shanahan and Dubas talking to Jim Rutherford. So it wasn't a complete shock when Kessel was eventually traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad