Worst recent trade involving a future high 1st round pick (Seguin, Duchene, Karlsson)

Worst trade for the team mentioned ?

• Toronto acquiring Kessel

Votes: 44 32.4%
  • Ottawa acquiring Duchene

Votes: 63 46.3%
  • San Jose acquiring Karlsson

Votes: 29 21.3%

• Total voters

Gains

Apr 29, 2012
Montreal
Three recent trades involving a future high 1st round pick come to mind. By that I mean a trade where a team acquires an established player for their 1st round pick, then has a bad regular season(s).

I am asking you which trade you think is the worst for the team acquiring the established player. You have to consider that the team knew beforehand which lottery format was used. Also consider how the team was playing before the trade. If you don't consider any of those trades to be bad, it's fine, just pick the worst between the three.

For Toronto :
September 18, 2009: Kessel traded to Toronto by Boston for Toronto's 1st (Tyler Seguin) and 2nd (Jared Knight) round picks in 2010 NHL Draft and Toronto's 1st round pick (Dougie Hamilton) in 2011 NHL Draft. Toronto finished 2nd to last in the 2009-10 season.

:leafs

Phil Kessel
:bruins

1st-round pick in 2010
1st-round pick in 2011
2nd round pick in 2010
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
For Ottawa:
November 5, 2017: Duchene traded to Ottawa by Colorado as part of a three team deal in which Ottawa sent Kyle Turris to Nashville, Andrew Hammond, Shane Bowers, Ottawa's 1st round (protected) pick in 2018 NHL Draft and Ottawa's 3rd round pick in 2019 NHL Draft to Colorado and Nashville sent Samuel Girard, Vladislav Kamenev and Nashville's 2nd round pick in 2018 NHL Draft to Colorado. Ottawa finished 2nd to last in 2018 and last in 2019.

:sens
Matt Duchene
:avs
Kyle Turris
Shane Bowers
Andrew Hammond
conditional 1st-round pick in 2018 or
     1st-round pick in 2019
3rd-round pick in 2019
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
For San Jose:
September 13, 2018: Karlsson (along with Francis Perron) was traded to the San Jose Sharks in exchange for Chris Tierney, Dylan DeMelo, Josh Norris, Rūdolfs Balcers, the Sharks' first-round pick in 2020, second-round pick in 2019 and a conditional second-round pick in 2021. San Jose finished 3rd to last in 2020.

:sharks
Erik Karlsson
Francis Perron
:sens

Chris Tierney
Dylan DeMelo
Josh Norris
Rudolfs Balcers
conditional 1st-round pick in 2019* or
     1st-round pick in 2020
conditional FLA 2nd-round pick in 2019 or
     SJS 2nd-round pick in 2019
conditional 1st-round pick in 2021 or
     2nd-round pick in 2021
conditional 1st-round pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* The condition – Ottawa will receive a first-round pick in 2020 if the Sharks qualify for the 2019 Stanley Cup playoffs – was converted on March 19, 2019.

EDIT:

Previous season stats:
2008-09 Toronto: 34-35-13 (81 points)
2016-17 Ottawa: 44-28-10 (98 points) Lost Conference Finals (4-3) versus Pittsburgh Penguins
2017-18 San Jose: 45-27-10 (100 points) Lost Second Round (4-2) versus Vegas Golden Knights

Last edited:

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Ottawa giving up all that, while on the brink of a rebuild, then losing everything including Duchene is just horrendouse.

At least Toronto and San Jose get to enjoy the player they dealt for.

I am not sold on Byram though so I guess we will need to see. Losing Laf would be painful too, if that's how it goes down.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
As of now I'd say Toronto, because they managed to give up 2 high 1sts.

Ottawa had it rough in that they totally collapsed after acquiring Duchene, but they lucked outbid not winning the lottery.

Jury's still out on San Jose. If the pick wins the lottery then I'd say them quite easily. Even if it doesn't, its still not a good look giving up such a high pick and doubling down by signing Karlsson to that garbage contract. I'd be very surprised if he's worth the money for even one of those years

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Toronto probably should have gotten a goalie first, but Kessel was a good player, and they got 6 years of his prime and assets from trading him.
San Jose shouldn't have re-signed Karlsson to his ridiculous contract, but the price they paid wasn't outrageous for a big last shot at the cup.
Duchene trade didn't really make any sense at all, even at the time.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Meh... I don't really care for Seguin. I'd rather have Matthews right now than TS (and I'm not a huge AM fan). Also, at least Kessel has had some productive post seasons.

Having missed out on Hamilton sucks, but I don't lose sleep over that trade.

Reactions: Voight

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Meh... I don't really care for Seguin. I'd rather have Matthews right now than TS (and I'm not a huge AM fan). Also, at least Kessel has had some productive post seasons.

Having missed out on Hamilton sucks, but I don't lose sleep over that trade.
Even though the 1st round picks Toronto traded turned into Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton, it was Boston who ended up trading Seguin to Dallas and Hamilton to Calgary.

Reactions: Voight

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
I have no idea why Brian Burke thought giving 2 first rounds picks for Kessel was a good idea

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I have no idea why Brian Burke thought giving 2 first rounds picks for Kessel was a good idea
The better question is do you believe Brian Burke that at the 2009 draft he thought Boston was going to trade them Phil Kessel and the 25th overall pick for Tomas Kaberle.

However the trade didn't go through because Boston thought Toronto was giving them Tomas Kaberle and the 7th overall pick Phil Kessel.

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
We're kind of convinced that he was Dorion's white whale.
His replacement for an out going Turris....But just a stupid money motivated trade anyway you slice it,much like Zbad trade...Money in for money out

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
The better question is do you believe Brian Burke that at the 2009 draft he thought Boston was going to trade them Phil Kessel and the 25th overall pick for Tomas Kaberle.

However the trade didn't go through because Boston thought Toronto was giving them Tomas Kaberle and the 7th overall pick Phil Kessel.

Wasn't that Jeff carter?

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
This is actually a super interesting and difficult question. Primarily because each of these trade has a different degree of information around it, so how you go in with perspective changes it massively.

It is unlikely the return for the latter 2 ends up giving better players than Seguin + Hamilton, but do we evaluate that or the picks at the time of the deal? We also dont know how players like Byram will turn out or even who Ott will get with that high 1st.

Also we could look at what the return accomplished. Bos won a Cup with Segs so do they win because of that? How much do we value the return? Tor got a ton of good years out of Kessel while Ott got 1 season from Duchene? Do we factor in the returns from further trades?

So like I said its very fun. There are so many moving parts I would simply say the winner was the team that got the best player for the longest. So if Col gets 15 years of Byram on the top pair then they would win (also including Girard and Bowers could also be strong contributors). If Ott gets Laffy from the pick and he stays for his career and is simply the best player then I would say they would win.

Just fun. Well thought out post. The winners were the fans of those teams. Also mad props to Dorion for getting absolutely fleeced and turning it around to hit another GM with the same destruction that hit him.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Wasn't that Jeff carter?
That was when Cliff Fletcher was the Leafs interim GM during the 2007-08 season and he agreed to trade Kaberle to the Flyers for Jeff Carter. However Kaberle had a NTC and blocked the trade.

Although there was another clause in his contract at the time which said the following.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/tomas-kaberle

CLAUSE DETAILS: Lists 10 teams he can be traded to if his team misses the playoffs in 2008-09 or 2009-10, he can be traded from the following entry draft until Aug. 15

That's why Brian Burke could have traded him at the 2009 draft for Phil Kessel without having to ask him to waive his NTC.

Last edited:

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
None were horrible but I guess the Ottawa one was worst for them since they didn't really get anything out of Duchene either.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Duchene, easily. Got almost nothing out of it. Way too early to call on Karlsson and the Leafs got some decent mileage out of Kessel, even if it didn't result in much. Compared to those Duchene in a landslide.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad