Worst players you've seen...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
Cherry should talk.

If you talk to the players who played against Don Cherry in the minors, they laugh at two things - the fact that Cherry was not a very good hockey player (he couldn't turn well and was a 5th defenceman in the American league, and,
they laugh at how Cherry made himself up to be so tough when he really wasn't.
Ivan Irwin, a noted tough player in the NHL, was asked if he had to watch for Don Cherry and he said, "we never worried about the talkers".

ProctorSilex said:
I'm by no means old enough to remember but was Hardy Astrom as bad a goalie as Don Cherry said?

If he was, who the hell was his backup that made it to the NHL and was worse?

ProctorSilex

Bring Back Bucky said:
When I saw Brett Lindros with the national team many years ago I thought he might possibly be the worst player I had ever seen on the ice at such an elite level.

1994-95 Kingston Frontenacs OHL GP: 26 G: 24 A: 23 Pts: 47 PIM: 63

Yeah, real horrible stats. Worst player ever.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
ProctorSilex said:
I'm by no means old enough to remember but was Hardy Astrom as bad a goalie as Don Cherry said?

If he was, who the hell was his backup that made it to the NHL and was worse?
You have no idea. :cry: Alot of Rockies slugs that just blended together.

Rich Pilon, I think he turned down a promising career as a lumberjack.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think Rob Pearson with the Leafs was really painful to watch. He could barely skate out there.

Don Beaupre was also really crappy at the end of his career with Toronto. Really sad.

Dogbert*

Rob Niedermayer in a Flames jersey was as bad as I've ever seen.

In 2002-03, my father and I counted 15 points that Patrice Brisebois cost the Canadiens by himself over the course of the season. Those points would have translated into a playoff spot. Not the worst player ever... maybe the worst season.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Last year in the 2nd round, the Flames made Derian Hatcher look like a giant joke on skates.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
ProctorSilex said:
I know there's been a lot, and a lot of them just played a game or two in the NHL. But as for people that basically had a full time job for at least a season?

Eric Lacroix - nepotism at it's finest.
Jiri Dopita - might be a Czech hero but he busted hard on my 2 favorite teams
Gino Odjick - might as well have put Mike Tyson on skates, at least he wouldn't have had a man crush on Pavel.
I know Eric Lacroix wasnt exactly great but he did score 30 points three years in a row. Nothing to get excited about mut certainly not one of the worst ive seen

Worst player I ever saw was Kent Paynter. The guy had the worst rating for NHL 93' for sega genisis. Paynter while he was with the capitals was responsible for Claude Lemieux wearing an eye shield for the rest of his career. Paynter high sticked him in a game and nearly took Claude's eye out. He got a game misconduct. I do believe that was the only game he played that season and he barely made it through the first period before being thrown out.

As for Hardy Astrom. For over ten years he held the Rockies-Devils record for single season GAA. Sean Burke in 1988 broke his record. He wasnt that bad of a goalie. He just let in really soft goals at inopportune times. The other Rockies goalies just let in every goal at every time.

ProctorSilex

txomisc said:
I know Eric Lacroix wasnt exactly great but he did score 30 points three years in a row. Nothing to get excited about mut certainly not one of the worst ive seen

But who couldn't have on Colorado that year?

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
Benton Fraser said:
Andrei Racicot

I remember him coming over to Britain, and he was pretty poor over here, a league in which Frank Pietrangelo was the best goalie in.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
ProctorSilex said:
and again key words... who couldn't?

..and the first time he did it he was an LA King.

His 36 points in 96-97 were more than teammates: Rene Corbet, Mike Keane, Stephane Yelle and Mike Ricci (Ricci did miss some time).

The following year he was 7th on the Avs in scoring.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
The team that Ukraine had on ice and called an ice hockey team in this year's world champs :)

Rumour has it finnish wood-industry company Metso sent them a gold medal and a trophy for "First place in World Championships of Lumberjacking on ice"

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Sergei Bautin, a defenceman that Mike Smith drafted for the Jets in the early 90s (in the first round, no less)

This was the worst of the many stiffs Smith drafted over the years that actually made it to the NHL. There were a couple of other guys he drafted (Davydov) that only had any kind of careers of note for the Jets because he created such a Russian-friendly culture on the team. Once they got traded, they were dropped like hot potatoes by their new teams because they sucked.

jb**

DaveBrown21 said:
Hands down, Dan Kordic.
No love for Dan Kordic? He wasn't that bad, if he didn't blow out his knee in the early 90's would have been a nice dman for 10 or so years played very well his rookie year for the Flyers. Boy could he throw em though and could take a punch as well. As a winger not the worst. Close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad