Worst Non-Calls

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
This is a good idea actually.

Seriously, the state of the NHL's refereeing is incredibly sad. If the NHL wants to improve the on-ice product - start with the damn refs.

what do you want them more to do? See better? They are the best people for the job on the planet. Missed calls happen, the game is faster and that is the consequence. Every team gets them.

Ocoee

Sep 1, 2010
Denver
I'm always skeptical when one team has an insane amount of PP's compared to the other. Like 4 or 5 years ago the Devils had 10 pp's to 2 for Pittsburgh. I know they don't have to be even and shouldn't be but that's a crazy difference.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
what do you want them more to do? See better? They are the best people for the job on the planet. Missed calls happen, the game is faster and that is the consequence. Every team gets them.

We want refs to call the rulebook. I think that's a fair expectation.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
After seeing this a few nights ago, what are some of the worst blatant non-calls you can re-collect?

Also, is Tim Peel the worst ref? I know other fanbases have singled him out calling terrible games. He sees the play unfold and literally shakes his head after a clear interference on a star player.

That's a good non-call in my book. Karlsson clearly embellishes that. He sees Wood coming, moves towards him and then falls when he runs into him. He was looking to draw a call there and Peel knows it.

There is far worse interference that goes uncalled than that.

Crosby attacks Callahan, Callahan gets the penalty

Crosby's slew foot was sneaky, but Callahan was interfering with a player trying to get up the ice. Crosby should've been called too though. I'm assuming given where the first ref is (who was likely looking at the puck) the ref behind the play was on the opposite side and had an obstructed view of the slew foot, but saw Callahan slowing Crosby through the neutral zone.

Then again, I'd be foolish to ignore the fact that there is some obvious d

Refs have looked the other way a few times in his favour as well, though.

Still my personal favourite:

Hits to behind isn't a penalty though. Boarding is. That's in that awkward area where it's far enough from the boards to not be boarding. Same thing happened to the Devils when Zajac was pushed from behind against Vancouver and broke his nose on the boards.

AK44

Apr 22, 2016
This goal. The reason there is a coach's challenge.

Last edited:

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

Now I THINK! I know what happened here.

The NHL couldn't review whether or not the puck was illegally carried. What they could only review was if the puck was directed into the net with a glove.

I believe the refs on the ice ruled it was thrown into the crease, and then was played into the Hawks net, and the video review failed to disprove this theory.

How the on ice officials missed this, I have no idea, but once it went to review, there was no turning back the clock. I bet the replay official was losing his mind in the booth looking for an angle to disprove the call on the ice. The Winnipeg Arena's legendary crappyness also prevents extra camera angles.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

One Blurred Eye

Prefer the future.
Sep 27, 2014
Penguins in game three of the 09 Finals playing with too many men for almost 30 seconds was pretty ridiculous.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Wow. That Jets-Hawks one was amazing. Morel should have sorted that one out, it's just common sense. Poor. Also, some real vintage players in that game. Thanks for sharing that!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad