Worst Non-Calls

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Tim Peel is the GOAT ref of all time. Up there with Ron Cherry and Angel Hernandez at home plate

Peel is probably the worst of them, but Kozari and Lee aren't too far behind. You can pretty much assume the game will be a complete gong show with one of those 3 on the ice

BlaqICE

Apr 10, 2007
N.Y.
Dan O'Halloran's non-call on Dwight King's interference on LA's 3rd goal in game 2 of the 2014 Finals.. Fast-forward to 8:06...

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
One of my favorite things to do when watching a game is..............

when there is a questionable call or non-call I listen to each of the teams' feeds. It is safe to say they don't agree on borderline calls. So a ref is ***** upon no matter what.

I actually have an admiration for NHL refs compared to the other big sports. There is a heckuva a lot to watch out for and they are confined to their own little "space".

Some refs are better than others, some coaches are better than others, some players are better than others.

They are human and humans tend to make mistakes. There is no way I would want to be an NHL ref - for more reasons than one.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
This was a classic.

I forgot about this one, great call.

Well...not a great call, but.....you know what I mean. :laugh:

That's one of the most blatant uncalled goalie interference plays I think I've ever seen. At least the Leafs broadcast could admit it. Joe Bowen and his crew aren't usually so quick to defend the opposition, but they didn't have a choice after that replay.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Justin Williams high-sticking Saku Koivu in Game 3 of the 2005-06 ECQF. Koivu suffered permanent eye damage and was out for the rest of the playoffs. Habs were up 2-0 at the time of the injury and lost 4-2. Canes won the Cup.

Not like it was away from the play either:

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Far from the worst on McDavid but I could find a readily available video.

The NHL needs to crack down on illegal stuff that plagues the star players.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I feel like refereeing has become more game management than rule enforcement nowadays.

You have your automatics. Other than that, a lot of the calls seem to be because the team has worked up to it or is due because the other team has got plenty, or they're make up calls for past events, or calls made to try to control emotions. And plenty of non-calls seem to be about "letting the players play" towards the end of the game, because they want to crack down on known offenders, or things like that.

Especially the idea of "letting the players play" irks me, as it way too often favors the team on their heels, or the team that is not as disciplined, or plain uglier. Way too often, you see the refs start to let everything go and a non-call ends up being directly responsible for a game-winning event.

This isn't about my team, btw. I'm of the opinion that if you really want to deserve to win, you get yourself enough margin that a mistake from the refs don't change anything. I just want better quality, and I think this is a problem area for the game today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad