Worst NHL Debuts for a goalie?

gary laser eyes

Apr 6, 2007
Two goalies made their NHL debuts tonight:

Malcolm Subban: 1st round pick, Boston Bruins
Mackenzie Skapski: 6th round pick, New York Rangers

The last time two goalies made their NHL debuts on the same day was October 8th, 2005:

Hannu Toivonen: 1st round pick, Boston Bruins
Henrik Lundqvist: 7th round pick, New York Rangers

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY

The last time two goalies made their NHL debuts on the same day was October 8th, 2005:

Does this mean Skapski is the next Lundqvist? :sarcasm:

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Personally I never liked the drafting of Malcolm and still don't get the hype surrounding the kid.

It's strictly the name. People here in Vancouver get unbelievably hyped over Jordan as well, even though he will never be as good as PK, and he possibly won't even play in the NHL.

But I gotta disagree with the idea that the kid was absolutely awful today. Sure, he wasn't good, but only the first goal was really his fault. The 2nd goal was a deflection, and the 3rd goal was a godlike shot. People need to give the guy a break, he's on a slumping team going up against one of the best offensive teams in the league.

Marchy63

Sep 16, 2006
Oshawa
The worst thing for a goalie, especially a young goalie making his NHL debut, is to go a long period of time without facing a shot. You need getinto the game mentally and getting too much time between shots means that you have a harder time remaining focused. Getting a few earl,y saves in will also boost your confidence which is why most goalies like to get more shots at the beginning of the game.

Julien definitely didn't do the kid any favours by having him play against one of the top teams in the league, especially when he could have played against a lower level team in Edmonton the game before. Even if they lose that gam, at least you could have rested Rask for St. Louis and a rested Rask may have been able to keep St. Louis off the board since they only put up what 15 shots? This is why I don't think Julien will be around much longer.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Former #6 Overall draft pick played 2 games for Nashville:

Season Team Lge GP Min GA EN SO GAA W L T Svs Pct
2002-03 Nashville Predators NHL 1 47 3 0 0 3.83 0 0 0 10 0.769
2005-06 Nashville Predators NHL 1 60 7 0 0 7.00 0 1 0 34 0.829

I immediately thought about Finley but saw the OP excluded "career AHLers" so Five Goal Finley doesnt count.

Vokoun is probably the best example of a goalie who went on to be good after getting shelled in their first game and all the better that it helped get him to us

Acquizitor*

Bryz for ducks this year.

his career is now officially over, too bad, I liked his interviews.

his performance has been:

FACEPALM.png

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014

Woah, that's quite the omen. :laugh:

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Same here. I don't understand why people consider him as a future top goalie? Because he's the brother of the guy?
I don't really think that's fair. He was a monster in the OHL and he has had quite a lot of success in the AHL.

The big hype with him is he incredibly gifted athletically and given he started goaltending at twelve years old, the fact he was already so good just six years in made a lot of people think he'd only continue to progress like he had been.

Now regardless of all that, it doesn't mean it will be a great goalie, but the hype isn't just cause of his brother.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Not saying it's the worst but it has to be up there: John Aiken's only NHL game with the Canadiens.

Gave up 6 goals (12/18 saves, sv% .667; GAA 10.59) in 34 minutes of ice time.

To be fair, Aiken was the Bruins' practice goalie and was called out of the crowd when Jacques Plante was injured.

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
Good ol' Brian Finley. I remember him playing a couple games for the Bruins many years ago.

Jeez, those two Preds games and the two Bruins games were the only 4 games he ever played in the NHL. Hows that for a bust.

Absolute bust.

I wanted Connolly to fall to us so bad since my pops worked for the Otters while Tim was there.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
I remember Marc Andre Fleury gave up a short handed goal on the first shot 38 seconds into his NHL Debut...

he then went on to stop 46 of the remaining 47 shots that the kings took in a 3-0 loss. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad