Worst NBA Draft Picks Ever?

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Kwame Brown, Darko Milicic

Oden wasn't a bad pick at all the guy was going to be a superstar player but injuries completely destroyed his career from the get go... what a shame for Portland between him and Brandon Roy, oh what could have been...

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Who remembers Adam Morrison? Of all the bad decisions the Bobcats made throughout the first 10 years of their history up to rebranding themselves as the Hornets again, this might be the cherry on top. Just an absolute waste of a pick and to top it off the guy played like he didn't want to be here in the first place. Sean May was another bad Bobcats pick and I'm pretty certain had he not played for UNC they would have stayed far away from him.

Greg Oden and Brandon Roy could have been the next big 1-2 punch in the league, just sucks that injuries took their toll on both.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Hate to say it, but anthony bennett is easily the worst draft bust ever, #1 or otherwise. Other guys are called busts primarily because of who they went before or because they never became star players their position justified.

Bennett couldn't even make an nba roster.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
I'm taking Olowokandi as the bigger bust than Bennett. Bennett's draft year was a really awful one. There might not be a single all-star from this draft class. Maybe Antetokounpo makes it eventually. At the time, there was no real consensus #1 pick, so Bennett got here

Olowokandi's draft class was pretty stacked. Carter, Jamison, Nowitzki, Pierce, Bibby, Jason Williams were all in the top 10.

You can also argue Milicic as a bigger draft bust when you consider who was taken behind him.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I'm taking Olowokandi as the bigger bust than Bennett. Bennett's draft year was a really awful one. There might not be a single all-star from this draft class. Maybe Antetokounpo makes it eventually. At the time, there was no real consensus #1 pick, so Bennett got here

Olowokandi's draft class was pretty stacked. Carter, Jamison, Nowitzki, Pierce, Bibby, Jason Williams were all in the top 10.

You can also argue Milicic as a bigger draft bust when you consider who was taken behind him.

Agreed. Three seasons in, going on the fourth, zero players from that year have made an All-Star Game. Look at the guys picked 2-5, Oladipo is the only one who's really panned out (although Porter & Zeller made big strides this year). Olowokandi also had 0 business going first overall, at least Bennett was pretty good in college.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Hard to call Olowokandi a bigger bust honestly

Olowokandi was a bust/disappointment but when healthy he was a starting caliber C in NBA and played 500+ games in NBA

Bennett on other hand doesn't even look like he belongs in NBADL ,, Its hard to imagine him ever playing 200 games let alone 500 in NBA at this point

Reactions: Stylizer1

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Wasn't Olowokandi considered one of the best Back to the Basket Centers at one time, think it might have been his stint w/ the Timberwolves when they last made the playoffs.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
He was also already 23 when. He was drafted, pretty old for a rookie. There's no way he would've gone #1 in today's NBA with the obsession of drafting 19-year olds.

Plato

Nov 12, 2005
New York
Perhaps not the worst of all time but personally, for me, it was the Knicks taking Renaldo Balkman. At least some of the guys named in this thread had potential. This guy had literally nothing.

If I remember correctly watching the draft that night, they didn't even have a highlight video made for him when he was taken 20th overall.
Rondo went 21st.
Lowry went 24th.

Plus he always looked like he just woke up from a 3 year long nap. Either that or he was high as **** all the time.

renaldo-balkman-banned-gi.jpg

Why.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Jonny Flynn

Fun fact: Steph Curry was the third PG taken in the 2009 draft. The first two were both taken by the Timberwolves (Flynn and Ricky Rubio)

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Jonny Flynn

Fun fact: Steph Curry was the third PG taken in the 2009 draft. The first two were both taken by the Timberwolves (Flynn and Ricky Rubio)

I still remember going WTF - not at the fact they picked either one (fine picks at the time) but the fact they took PGs at 5 & 7.... and neither had the size to play combo guard or SG.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I still remember going WTF - not at the fact they picked either one (fine picks at the time) but the fact they took PGs at 5 & 7.... and neither had the size to play combo guard or SG.

David Kahn was a very, very bad decision-maker for the Timberwolves.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Perhaps not the worst of all time but personally, for me, it was the Knicks taking Renaldo Balkman. At least some of the guys named in this thread had potential. This guy had literally nothing.

If I remember correctly watching the draft that night, they didn't even have a highlight video made for him when he was taken 20th overall.
Rondo went 21st.
Lowry went 24th.

Plus he always looked like he just woke up from a 3 year long nap. Either that or he was high as **** all the time.

Why.

I remember Balkman. He was from Laurinburg, NC and was one of the states top basketball players but no one really showed any interest in him except for U of South Carolina, where he won back to back NIT titles. But no one really thought he was worth spending a first-round pick on, except Isiah Thomas. IIRC when he was drafted the joke was that the Knicks thought they were really drafting Rolando Blackman.

Regarding his looks, the cornrows and the sleepy-eyed facial expressions made me think he could pass for one of those one-hit wonder R&B artists from the mid to late 00's, like J. Holiday or Lloyd.

Jonny Flynn

Yeesh. Flynn had a decent rookie season but he can barely make an international roster today. At least Rubio is still in the NBA.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'm not sure there is one overwhelming choice here. A guy like Bennett looks like a total waste now but I think he has enough physical gifts that he could be serviceable at some point. Then you have a guy like Adam Morrison who was a complete joke. I guess if you put the proverbial gun to my head I have to go with Thabeet. What a plug!

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town

Rondo went 21st.
Lowry went 24th.

Why.
I think this was right after they paid Larry Brown $20 million for one year. I remembef wstching the draft and when they called his name, I as in everyone else was confused.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Jonny Flynn

I still remember Flynn running around in NBL (Australian league) couple years ago.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I think this was right after they paid Larry Brown $20 million for one year. I remembef wstching the draft and when they called his name, I as in everyone else was confused.

They gave him 50-60 million for 5 years, then canned him after they very predictably went 23-59. Nothin like a little patience.

David Kahn was a very, very bad decision-maker for the Timberwolves.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Kwame doesn't belong in this discussion. Carved out a role in the league for a long time. But more importantly, look at how awful the 2001 draft was. Not like the Wizards picked him over a superstar or anything.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Kwame doesn't belong in this discussion. Carved out a role in the league for a long time. But more importantly, look at how awful the 2001 draft was. Not like the Wizards picked him over a superstar or anything.

Off the top of my head, I think Chicago offered Elton Brand for the pick. Washington turned it down and took Brown. Chicago then offered Brand to the Clippers for the 2nd pick which was accepted. At the time, Brand was 22 and had a pair of 20 point / 10 rebound seasons as a pro.

Just another wrinkle and something I still remember about watching that Draft.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Such an awful trade by Bulls and set the franchise back bigtime

Brand was lone bright spot for team and they decided to try the Chandler/Curry rebuild over him.

That was moment it became clear Krause had lost it

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
artis_crop_north.jpg

Bulls Career Averages: 60.3% FG, 20.4 PPG, 11.2 RPG

Off the top of my head, I think Chicago offered Elton Brand for the pick. Washington turned it down and took Brown. Chicago then offered Brand to the Clippers for the 2nd pick which was accepted. At the time, Brand was 22 and had a pair of 20 point / 10 rebound seasons as a pro. Just another wrinkle and something I still remember about watching that Draft.

Yeah, the Bulls had their big man of the future and they traded him away for no reason. They haven't had that many great big men in franchise history. Artis Gilmore was the best center they ever had.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad