Worst NBA Draft Picks Ever?

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Kwame doesn't belong in this discussion. Carved out a role in the league for a long time. But more importantly, look at how awful the 2001 draft was. Not like the Wizards picked him over a superstar or anything.

That draft was actually pretty good.

Chandler, Gasol, Jason Richardson, Shane Battier, Joe Johnson and Richard Jefferson in the lottery.

Then you had Zach Randolph, Gerald Wallace and Tony Parker in the late 1st and Gilbert Arenas in the 2nd round.

These guys also had decent careers and played 10+ years:

DeSagana Diop
Vlad Radmonivic
Troy Murphy
Steven Hunter
Jason Collins
Brendan Haywood
Samuel Dalembert (still active)
Jamaal Tinsley
Mehmet Okur
Earl Watson
Bobby Simmons

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
That draft was actually pretty good.

Chandler, Gasol, Jason Richardson, Shane Battier, Joe Johnson and Richard Jefferson in the lottery.

Then you had Zach Randolph, Gerald Wallace and Tony Parker in the late 1st and Gilbert Arenas in the 2nd round.

These guys also had decent careers and played 10+ years:

DeSagana Diop
Vlad Radmonivic
Troy Murphy
Steven Hunter
Jason Collins
Brendan Haywood
Samuel Dalembert (still active)
Jamaal Tinsley
Mehmet Okur
Earl Watson
Bobby Simmons

Yeah, if I had to guess the guy was confusing 2001 with 2000, now that was a horrific draft.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_NBA_draft

Using the WARP (wins above replacement player) metric, the 2000 NBA draft class collectively produced at a rate of 17.3 wins worse than a group of "average replacement players", effectively making 2000 the only draft class in NBA history to leave the NBA talent pool worse off than it had been prior to the given year's rookie draft.[3]

darko

Feb 16, 2009
The 2000 draft was terrible. Think only Kenyon Martin and Michael Redd were the productive ones from that draft. Darius Miles, Stromile Swift :laugh:. I can go on.

Full of busts.

My boy Marko Jaric was part of that draft. His offcourt success is much greater than his oncourt.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Full of busts.

My boy Marko Jaric was part of that draft. His offcourt success is much greater than his oncourt.

TIi44Rh.png

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
2000 sucks as a Bulls fan

Fizer was absolute bust as was Bagaric (God did he suck). Crawford trade worked out for a bit as he did give us some good times in rather bleak era. Then Bulls made that awful trade with Knicks that essentially gave him away for free

It was understandable they wanted Hinrich in as starting PG given his D being far better then Crawford's but I would have rather kept Crawford and moved him to SG instead of drafting Gordon and trading Crawford

That Crawford to NY trade was absolutely terrible

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
artis_crop_north.jpg

Bulls Career Averages: 60.3% FG, 20.4 PPG, 11.2 RPG

Yeah, the Bulls had their big man of the future and they traded him away for no reason. They haven't had that many great big men in franchise history. Artis Gilmore was the best center they ever had.

What does Gilmore have to do with Brand?

And Bulls had 3 pretty good PF's thru 80's and 90's (Oakley/Grant/Rodman) who all were great defensive PF's and great on glass

You act like Bulls have had nothing down low thru years. Also under Bulls offense of 80's/90's big men were valued for the D/Rebounding they brought. That is why a guy like Bill Cartwright and Luc Longley at C were good fits

Both guys were quality starters for Bulls during dynasty and did there job well

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
The 2000 draft was terrible. Think only Kenyon Martin and Michael Redd were the productive ones from that draft. Darius Miles, Stromile Swift :laugh:. I can go on.

Jamal Crawford and Hedo Turkoglu were/are good.

I guess Quentin Richardson and Morris Peterson were ok for a short time.

And Desmond Mason won a dunk contest. :laugh:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Fran Vazquez? Went 12th overall so not super early but never even bothered to come across the pond to play. So he has 0 NBA games played, not sure if there's a higher pick with 0 games played, barring an untimely death prior to playing,

Say Hey Kid

Gonna get some albums by The Status Quo
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, ATL
Fran Vazquez? Went 12th overall so not super early but never even bothered to come across the pond to play. So he has 0 NBA games played, not sure if there's a higher pick with 0 games played, barring an untimely death prior to playing,
Such as Len Bias.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

For the longest time I used to have that SI copy with Miles and Garnett on the cover, really not sure why I held onto that for as long as I did :laugh:

Say Hey Kid

Gonna get some albums by The Status Quo
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, ATL
For the longest time I used to have that SI copy with Miles and Garnett on the cover, really not sure why I held onto that for as long as I did :laugh:
I just threw out an ESPN that had Barnes on the cover as the best in college. Maybe in college. ;)

noahberketo

Sep 20, 2016
Anthony Bennett

The 2013 has so far produced, idk, 9 or 10 quality starters? (Oladipo, Porter, Zeller, Noel, KCP, CJ, Greek Freak, Schroder*, Dieng, Gobert) A team with solid brainpower would've gone with Noel. Look at how in the NFL, Gurley went 10th, who was a legit asset with real potential having a serious yet recoverable injury (ACL tear). Cleveland definitely overthought that pick just like they did with Waiters two years before. And they would've been idiots not to take Wiggins.

esmile

Mar 14, 2020
Hi everyone,

I added 2000 NBA Draft full records;

NBA Draft History || 2000 NBA Draft Full Version :

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Rafael Araujo

With Iguodala be selected with the next pick, that one hurt

Another that doesn't get talked about much anymore is the Terrence Ross pick when Andre Drummond was still on the board. Drummond went with the next pick

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Jonny Flynn

Fun fact: Steph Curry was the third PG taken in the 2009 draft. The first two were both taken by the Timberwolves (Flynn and Ricky Rubio)

Can't fault the Wolves for taking Rubio ahead of Curry

Rubio looked like he might just be the best passer of all-time before he entered the league

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Kings were great at drafting until the Maloof's went broke and forced Petrie to run on a shoestring budget.

Those clowns set the franchise back so far, it's not even funny.

https://vault.si.com/vault/1998/03/...-run-franchise-in-sports-on-the-brink-of-ruin

I forget the consultant in the SI story is the same guy that Phil Esposito describes in his autobiography, but.....

When Tampa was for sale in the mid-90s, the Maloofs kicked the tires and sent one of their cronies to tail Esposito. When they would have scouting meetings, the guy would suggest things like "You should trade for Paul Kariya" as if that were a trivial task.

Reactions: HisIceness

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad