Worst Love/Hate Relationship with another team

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Hi Avs Fans. Wild fan here, but I come in peace.

As some of you may know, there is a long, long realignment thread over on the main board. It's there because QC coming into the league makes some problems with schedules and time zones.

It's interesting to me, so I have a ?? for all of you.

If you could choose 1 Western Conference team to be in a division with, who would you choose?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yeah, blame it on me, I'll speak up. It was either LV+AZ or MIN. I thought the former would put us with a Dallas, I didn't want to be with the northwest teams again. Those were the only two choices. They are going to have to put us with Dallas anyway because there isn't a other team even remotely in the SW portion of the country.

I don't get the point of making the thread when the vote was already cast. It's my fault but nobody else bothered to cast a "vote". I didn't realize I would be the sole tiebreaker.

It's already turning out nonsensical. LA-SJ-ANH are together but CAL-EDM-VAN are together and now AZ-LV-COL, so who the hell is going to join the California teams?

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Chicago. Competing with the Hawks will make us a better team in the long run. We're shockingly effective against them. And I live in Chicago, so get to see the Avs more when they and the hawks share a division.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Good morning. Thanks for the answers. Point is partially the game, but also partially my curiosity.

I don't have the funds to go to games, so my interaction with other fans is limited.

I ask to get some feel for the fan base.

Awhile ago I did the same with respect to EDM and CGY because I wondered how they felt about VAN vs WPG.

Especially you guys are an interesting case because there are no close rivals.

Reading the answers here it seems a big mix. DAL & CHI.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Yeah, they will have to adjust things a bit for geography, but the idea of getting the rivalries baked into the divisions is not a bad one.

Not that it matters anyhow, but for the way they have it so far, I would suggest moving us to MIN+CHI and add DAL, SJ to CGY+VAN+EDM, and LV+ARI TO LA+ANA. Then NSH+DET+STL+WPG (never happen, but another flaw in the logic of the game). TB+CAR+FLA+WSH. CBJ-PIT-PHI+BUF, NYI-NYR-NJ+TOR, and the one the have completed, OTT-MTL-QUE-BOS. There are some swaps needed in that still, but it would be workable.

My personal off the wall suggestion for 32 team realignment would be to do 4 conferences, trash East/West and have top 4 in each play off, then 4 winners play off.
Make the Canadians happy and have VAN+CGY+EDM+WPG+TOR+QUE+OTT+MTL....guarantees 4 Canadian teams in the playoffs every year, and one always makes it to the Final 4.
Next up would be the Sun Belt Conference... ANA+LAK+ARI+DAL+TBL+FLA+NSH+CAR.
Then WSH, NJD, PHI, PIT, CBJ, SJS, STL, and COL and the Central.
Finally, Las Vegas slots in with WPG, CHI, DET, BUF, BOS, NYI, and NYR.
When Seattle gets its team in a few years, it will be moving from FLA or ARI most likely, so they would take the LV slot in the Northern US Conference, and LV would move to the Sun Belt.
This way, no team has as big as an advantage for travel (and the corresponding UFA draw). The Canadian teams don't have to worry so much about the exchange rate, as most of the competition will be facing the same hurdles. Las Vegas gets some prime scheduling at first to help build the fan base (as long as they can avoid getting blown out too badly). All conferences send half the teams to the playoffs. Schedule would be a home+away against every team, another home+away against conference, and 3rd games against rotating conference, for a total of 84 games per season...teams that host the odd inter-conference game one year visit that conference the following year, so after 6 years, every team has played a total of one extra home/away with all out of conference teams.

Bound to be holes in that, but at this late hour, it seems to make sense to me.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I don't consider them love-hate relationships when it comes to teams we play against. I either dislike them or don't care, mostly the latter. Chicago is the closest I can think of really but that's more respect for their accomplishments. And when it comes to the Minnesotas of the world I may dislike them but I like the rivalry. That's great (on ice only, I strongly dislike the fan bickering). But I sure don't love the other team.

There are some Eastern teams at a time that I have sympathy for though, like the Isles right now. Generally young teams on the rise.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I absolutely love Avs games against Dallas and Chicago. They're almost always fast, fun, and competitive.

I absolutely abhor watching Avs games against Edmonton, Calgary (though recently I think that's changed at least), and Nashville, because it's just frustrating as hell to watch. COL just doesn't bring their "A" game (no pun intended) against those teams, especially Edmonton.

Minnesota has all the makings of a rivalry, but I still don't love those games. Thankfully they're a much more fun team to watch than they were during the Todd Richards regime (those games were painful to get through, and what's worse, that's when the NHL had that idiotic idea to play division rivals 18 times a year. ****ing Lamoriello :shakehead).

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It's because we get sucked into playing track meet style with them. We have to stay incredibly disciplined to beat Edmonton.

I guess ideally we'd be in a division with Dallas, Minnesota and Chicago. That would never happen though because they'll always put Chicago and St Louis first and Detroit if they are available. Plus I believe they want to go with 8 team divisions anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad