Worst Injury

Canad93

Jan 21, 2008
I had one game in which I sustained a chipped vertabrae and a hyperextended neck. Sat for a while, toughed it out and went back, only to be closelined and knocked out.
The nighttime ride to the hospital downtown was a trip though. All of the street lights and signs and such blended together into one really messed up picture. It's a little nauseating to think about right now actually.

Hobgoblin Steve

Bacon of Light
Feb 5, 2009
Bay Ridge
About 11 years ago playing Peewee hockey (10-12 limited contact) I got hit into the boards (roller hockey),fell and separated my shoulder, it still hurts me occasionally in the mornings or when I carry a bag on that side of my body.

JeffYear92*

factured Knee Cap
I was Out 20 Weeks

I went to block a Slap shot and took it right on the knee cap, then went knee on knee with someone within 15 seconds later

X-Rays showed 2 large factures in the cap ,and the doctor requested not to skate for 1 and half

Ignored the doctors,and did a bunch of Physo and healed my knee cap..back on the ice within 6 months

Simple workouts
20 Minute Runs
30 Minutes of Stretching
10 for Weights

Iced Knee Cap 30-40 Minutes after each work out

Workouts completey with 15 pound weights on each ankle

I was able to return this year,had a great year and cant wait til next year

Canad93

Jan 21, 2008
factured Knee Cap
I was Out 20 Weeks

I went to block a Slap shot and took it right on the knee cap, then went knee on knee with someone within 15 seconds later

X-Rays showed 2 large factures in the cap ,and the doctor requested not to skate for 1 and half

Ignored the doctors,and did a bunch of Physo and healed my knee cap..back on the ice within 6 months

Simple workouts
20 Minute Runs
30 Minutes of Stretching
10 for Weights

Iced Knee Cap 30-40 Minutes after each work out

Workouts completey with 15 pound weights on each ankle

I was able to return this year,had a great year and cant wait til next year

Knee injuries are annoying. They tend to linger. Props for being able to come back from that so soon.

Dan Cloutier

Aug 12, 2008
I'm 27, but my right knee is 40 and my left knee is 65!

I'm used to wearing a brace when I play so much that I wear one on my right knee even though i don't really need it anymore. It's just a crappy ACE sleeve, but it's weird without it. Pretty badass one on my left knee though.

Same thing here. My doctor even told me that I have an old man's knee, real encouraging! And the knee brace eventually like a piece of equipment and you dont even notice

to add to the list...

Seperated Shoulder
broken thumb
chipped teeth
HUGE gash on my chin
bruised tailbone (horrible)

Kiyarii

May 21, 2009
Canada
I....errr.... well I've chipped off about an 1/8th of my thumbnail, which really hurt, as well as having had my hair pulled. Other than that nothing really.

I've never broken anything, which I am very happy about especially after reading the dramatic accounts that you people give of such an accident!

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
I took a slapshot off of the glove and broke my hand, which cost me about six weeks of action.

I have been fortunate enough to have avoided a major injury thus far.

I've also had ongoing problems with my left knee from a hyperextension.

SSM12

May 30, 2004
North Carolina, USA
Partially torn PCL grade 2 injury. ALMOST grade 3. It happened during an ice game, when I took a shot off one leg but during the rotation(i wasnt facing the net so I kinda rotated to take a quick wrister) my skate got caught and I tried to put the other one down to brace and that slipped out completely and I felt a pop. Took me 5 min to get up. Tried skating and couldnt.

Thing was I had an inline playoff game the next night. So I went home. Come the following nihgt, the pain was pretty bad, so I just put a towel in a bowl of water and microwaved it so it was scorching and wrapped it around my knee. The warmth alleviated the pain so I could get my skate on. Skating, it didnt hurt to much though. After that game. I went to the hospital and there the doctor said it was a severe grade 2 PCL injury, saying I was lucky I didnt tear any of the other ligaments during my inline game as they were basically taking over the PCL's job.

I was given a rest period. But I didnt completely finish it as my next hockey season started up. So after about 2 weeks I was back on, the pain was almost completely gone so I felt good. Well about 4-5 games in teh season, I take a shot off the WRONG foot and sure enough, I re hurt it.

didn't go to the doctor then, but I stayed off of it for another 2 weeks. Then I was just playing hockey on smooth asphault at the park and AGAIN, I lost an edge and boom. 2 more weeks.

so far so good right now though. Its almost been 6 months since the last time I hurt it. Ive lost some weight since then and have been a little more cognizant of it. Im thinking if it happens again I MIGHT need surgery. I hope not. God I hate knee injuries. Not to mention it happened DURING the school year and my dorm, at the time was on the OTHER end of the Campus on which my classes were located. I didnt want to use crutches that long, so that might have slowed the recovery

Another one, I was skating in on a 2 on 2, the one guy had dropped back so we had a 2 on 1. My teamate passed me the puck, my thinking was the goalies gonna slide over to stop the shot, so I recieved the puck and moved it to the backhand for a layin when sure enough, the guy who had dropped back runs through me. This was a pickup game and he was probably 6'3 to my 5'10(on a good day). Not having a mouthguard in(and only a visor), I start spitting blood out onto the ice. I skate to the bench and one of the guys takes a look and say I have a pretty nice sized cut on the inside of my lower lip. Well after some spitting, I finished the pickup. Then when I got home it was the whole Ice on the lip thing. The worst part was skating down that guys wing after the fact and seeing my blood on his jersey lol. I did get a nice farside goal after it though. Their is still a scar on the inside of my lip that I can feel with my tongue and it has been about 5 months since it happened.

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
its not an on ice one, but i severed everything apart from the skin inside my knee, aswell as dislocating it, basicly it wudve come off if not for the skin. tht was in a motorbike accident and its taken me 2 years to get back to skating, saying tht the doctor told me id have to wear a knee brace for the rest of ma life im well proud lol.

worst on ice injury was when i guy lifted his stick when i went in for a hit and speared me right in my throat above the kneck guard and below my cage, blood everywhere but nowt serious.

Tafkak

Feb 2, 2005
Novi, MI.
Broken right collar bone, poking (but not quite all the way through) the skin.

Shattered my left wrist, had a bone chip in the right side that needed removed and my tendon war torn in half. Last year had a second surgery to place the tendon back in place, which has failed. So now I'm looking at a 3rd surgery. Meh.

And 2 low grade concussions, all kinds of fun.

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
broken tailbone was easily the most painful. it took a good 2 years to stop hurting.
I've only (knock on wood) had minor injuries but the worst one (other than the tailbone) was while I was scorekeeping a AAA men's league game. at our rink we don't have glass between the penalty box and the scorekeeper's box. with less than a minute to go one of the guys cranks out a clearing attempt. he missed the glass and hit me right in the forehead. I stopped the clock and staggered towards the door not realizing I was bleeding yet. looking down I realized I was bleeding onto the floor. one of the refs was able to patch me up temporarily but the cut just wouldn't stop bleeding. a friend took me to the ER where I got 1 internal and 8 external stitches. I was leaving in 3 days for a tourney in Canada so I went with the stitches still in my head.
2 good things that happened: 1) the guy who shot the puck is a friend of mine. he felt so bad he bought me beers for months! 2) we now have glass between the scorekeep's box and the penalty box. :)

Wingsrule

Mar 24, 2007
I am hurting looking at some of these

I have had 5 surgeries on my knees, but the 2 worst for me were

slapshot to the face..lost a tooth and had to have 27 stitches in my lower lip without a shot..apparently when you are numbed up it swells a bit and they were worried that my lip line wouldn't be lined up..that hurt

Broke my navicular in the wrist after taking a slash..cast for about 12 months and finally a bone graft and pin because it wouldn't heal

eimeria

Oct 17, 2008
You might think I'm accident prone based upon my list.

Kneecap dislocation - happened back in high-school. Kneecap just popped out and was sitting on the outside of my knee. Occurred while doing a cross-over. Required surgery keeping me off the ice for 4 months.

Fractured metacarpal in hand - hit with a slapshot by my own teammate while hopping over the boards.

Broken nose x 3. Worst was when a stick blade got up inside my full shield while playing roller hockey.

Concussion x2

Fractured ribs - stick got caught in a crease in the boards and I wound up impaling myself on it.

Sprained right MCL x3, ACL x2 - Most embarrassing was while refereeing a game. We had touch icing rules. I raced down to get the call right on a contested icing. About 5 feet from the boards I caught my skate in a rut mangling my MCL. My orthopod, who was the team doc for our local NFL team, said it was the worst ACL he had seen that would not require surgery.

Left MCL sprain - Was using my left leg to shied a defender off as I drove to the net. The defenseman tried to stop me by diving across my leg. Needless to say, knee joints aren't designed to bend the way mine did. I was off the ice for 6 weeks. Had to wear a huge brace when I did get back.

Finally, and most recently, I got hit knee-on-knee back in January of this year. Same one that I had surgery on in high school. Since then, my knee cap would pop out again everytime I bent it. I had surgery to re-align it at the beginning of March. Doctor says I may be able to return to the ice in another 3 months. I'm just happy to finally be off crutches after spending the last 3 months not being able to walk unassisted.

Maybe I should play wrapped in bubble wrap. :sarcasm:

Munchinator

Feb 3, 2008
Some of these are just brutal, not to mention criminal (stick swings).

I only have three bad ones: slashed on the wrist, fracturing it. I think it was accidental, but I don't know. I freaked out anyways and went after him and then got far too angry with the ref. I was like, 14 or 15 though. Later that year I dislocated my shoulder which required surgery. Missed a bit of the next season, then came in and got hit in the knee requiring surgery. Fine now, but I skate a bit odd and my shoulder gets sore from time to time.

gojacketsgo61

Fire the Refs!
Apr 27, 2009
i've had a few bruises but mainly just concussions normally minor/mild ones but i got a big one before

i was playing goalie, other team was coming in on a 2 on 1, they one time it i glove it. There player comes in and 2 hands me across the side of the helmet (i was younger and i had a crappy helmet since my team was rotating goalies and i stilled played out a bit) no penalty surprisingly and then i felt terrible blanked out for a tiny bit got off the ice 1hr later they say i have a major concussion. I still can't believe there was no call

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
i've had a few bruises but mainly just concussions normally minor/mild ones but i got a big one before

i was playing goalie, other team was coming in on a 2 on 1, they one time it i glove it. There player comes in and 2 hands me across the side of the helmet (i was younger and i had a crappy helmet since my team was rotating goalies and i stilled played out a bit) no penalty surprisingly and then i felt terrible blanked out for a tiny bit got off the ice 1hr later they say i have a major concussion. I still can't believe there was no call

That's terrible, I have never had a concussion from playing hockey thankfully. that must be frightening a little bit at first.

The Kult

Dec 15, 2008
Colorado
the worst on ice injury i've had actually didnt come from playing. I was just doing some free skate. Skating backwards I was messing around, not sure what happened, but my feet went out from under me and as I was falling to catch myself my hands just slid apart and I decided to try and break the ice with my face.... In the end the ice won and I think I got a broken nose (I never went to the hospital, but its still sorta crooked)
The odd thing is I got up and skated a bit until I had noticed blood on the ice.

worst during game time is during drop in my friend decided to slash me in the balls from behind.

SiouxPride

Dec 26, 2006
WINNIPEG!
Leg/ankle jammed into boards/door

uhm.. stick jabbed into my stomach, cut through, just missed my spleen.. basically i was like.. so clsoe to death :P?

Haha, kinda funny.. but not really, we were clsoe to the northend a rougher area and my teamate/friend was walknig to his car right after the game & got shot twice in the leg..
off the ice but damn near ?

Saved*

Last game I blocked a shot off my forearm on the Penalty Kill. Raced off for a shorthanded breakaway goal. I couldn't flex it for a few days but I did finish the game.

It's fine now, though. Definitely not my worst injury. Probably my broken knee, or high ankle sprain w/ torn ligaments.

Doubleyah

Apr 14, 2009
Guelph, ON
Took a howitzer to the side of the mask (didn't have a chance to reset to the other post) in warm up and think I got a concussion - but I don't remember...:dunno:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I hit a guy and lacerated my spleen somehow.

Then I kept playing because it was the last game of the season if we lost. And the last game of my ****ing competitive career. We ended up losing because I couldn't even play at 50%. I didn't even know what the injury was till a few days afterwards. (Funny enough I lost my virginity while with the injury. Surprisingly it was a good story to tell the ladies)

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
I hit a guy and lacerated my spleen somehow.

Then I kept playing because it was the last game of the season if we lost. And the last game of my ****ing competitive career. We ended up losing because I couldn't even play at 50%. I didn't even know what the injury was till a few days afterwards. (Funny enough I lost my virginity while with the injury. Surprisingly it was a good story to tell the ladies)

That's good that you didn't die... that's a pretty serious injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad