Worst Injury

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Hey guys. I know this isnt really the greatest thread but what is your guys worst injury you've suffered on the ice? I blew out my knee in my state semi-final game my senior year and tried coming back for the final....lets just say it didnt work out.

nbarry93

Nov 30, 2008
Buffalo, NY
Got into a brawl during a hockey game two years ago, my helmet was off, I was fighting with the other teams goalie, and a defenseman. All of the sudden, one of their players picks their stick up, and takes a baseball-esque swing(ala Chris Simon on Ryan Hollweg) at my head. Split my eyebrow/forhead open, left a crescent shaped open wound(cut down to my skull) about 6 inches long. Knocked me out, woke up in the hospital with 26 stitches, on my forehead, and 14 in the back of my head, from splitting my head open while falling from being knocked out(hit the back of my head on the boards). Not fun. Severe concussion, and stayed in the hospital for a week.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Mine's not that bad: I dove to break up a breakaway and got my back stepped on. Not like a stomp, like a full on skating stride using my back instead of the ice, peeled up a good chunk of skin, stung like a MFer!

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
My worst one wasn't as bad as some listed here probably but I went down to do a sweep check in center ice on SOFT summer time ice and caught an edge of my skate blade. My hamstring muscle popped immediately and supported no weight at all.

I went to the emergency room as I couldn't walk, got sent home with a destroyed hammy.

The thing is it wasn't mild, the back of my leg from my buttcheek down to my heel was a solid ugly purple for a long time. I was on crutches for 2 months and had to have help just to put on socks as I just couldn't do it.

I think the worst was taking a dump trying to get up and down from a seated position. i couldn't get out of bed LITERALLY without using an electric heating pad for a few minutes to allow the leg to flex.

I now know how a goalie must feel with a severe groin pull as it must be worse than my hamstring. I still feel the hamstring to this day when we have bad weather too. I make sure i strecth before every game to make sure it is stretched out. I stretched before injuring it and did it anyway but whatever.

Any other injuries were basic things like split eyebrows from pucks, teeth knocked out or a jammed thumb that took 8 months to heal, had a damaged ankle tendon once that took antinflammatories to get rid of etc. You know "stuff not worth crying about as they are a part of the game".

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
I got hit in a no check league and my brand new wheels stuck to the ground while the rest of my body rotated leaving the whole outside of my skate on the ground with my leg straight up. Grade 3 ankle sprain and a fibula that cracked from the twisting. Took me 6 mos to play again and my ankle is still jacked up over a year later.

Redden Hogalot*

I haven't had many injuries, but one of the most major ones was when I badly sprained my wrist.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
Dissociation fracture of the left wrist.

Broken hand (lower section of the thumb, bone was close to coming through the skin).

Badly bruised larynx.

Dislocated jaw.

and the coupe da grace

Relocated my nose to the other side of my face after going face first into the dasher. Cartilage broke though leaving a 1/2 inch slit...it was pretty gross. Also suffered a mild concussion. My nose was literally in my line of sight. It had to be surgically repaired.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Man, these injury accounts are brutal.

My worst injury came playing street hockey. My friend took a slapshot that hit me flush in the eye (the defenseman was standing in front of me and ducked, so I didn't see it coming).

I had a fractured sinus, bruised retina, and hyphema (blood coming in between the cornea and the iris, so the whole blue part of the eye was reddish brown with lack of vision).

My right pupil is still larger than the right one to this day. I can't imagine what the damage would have been if it had been a puck.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Got into a brawl during a hockey game two years ago, my helmet was off, I was fighting with the other teams goalie, and a defenseman. All of the sudden, one of their players picks their stick up, and takes a baseball-esque swing(ala Chris Simon on Ryan Hollweg) at my head. Split my eyebrow/forhead open, left a crescent shaped open wound(cut down to my skull) about 6 inches long. Knocked me out, woke up in the hospital with 26 stitches, on my forehead, and 14 in the back of my head, from splitting my head open while falling from being knocked out(hit the back of my head on the boards). Not fun. Severe concussion, and stayed in the hospital for a week.

I've had one of these happen to me too, I was way luckier than you in that I had my helmet on. Basically their version of Avery came in on a breakaway, put the puck in between my legs, but instead of biting on his move I just put him on his ass. When I turned to retrieve the puck used my head as a baseball and tried taking it off. It hurt like a mother, had a bad concussion too, I can't even imagine how you felt without the helmet.

Analyzer*

Broke my left leg. And got elbowed in the face... damn well hard to, as it busted open my chin, needed 5 stitches to close it. So hard that the steel in your cage that runs through the foam got pushed against my jaw and split it open. My whole face was numb and i thought the guy broke my nose. I put my hand on my chin and felt a ton of blood, so I took my helmet off and asked the trainer how my nose looked, he said fine, but that there's a big gap in my chin. :laugh:

The broken leg sucked. It happened during the break between first semester and 2nd in high school, so it's winter time here. My school was kinda small and had portables... I had two classes outside and another one on the top floor. We have an elevator which is sweet, by trying to go to the classes outside in the snow sucked. After 6-8 weeks of that crap, I had 6-8 weeks of physio.

Our team was really good that year.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Damn, I feel like a nobody in this thread. :P

Worst injury only lasted like a day for me. I was new to the league and didn't know anybody except for the guy that brought me in. It was just some no-hit league so I figured nobody would be too good. I started blocking every shot I could until I went up against the guy with the hardest shot in the league. It's so hard I've seen him score from his own end of the ice and you can't really blame the goalie because it somehow was going top right and curved to lower left (I was right behind him so I had the perfect angle). Anyway, he wound up and I just skated towards him to block the shot. He shot it right at my ankle right below the shin guard where it's basically just the flap of leather on your skate. That killed and I went off the ice immediately. I tried walking it off in the bench area and missed like 5-7 minutes and finished the game with little to no pain. Then an hour after the game, it was all swollen up and I couldn't walk. I stupidly went to class that day too, it took me 20 minutes to get to my car when from that distance, it usually took 5. Went to the hospital for the night and it wasn't broken, took a couple days before I could walk normally again.

Dan Cloutier

Aug 12, 2008
I got hit knee to knee going full speed. That knee ended up being fine but as I was falling through the air my other knee twisted in some crazy way and I ended up with a disslocated patella, cracked patella, and partially torn ACL

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
Those stick swinging incidents are criminal, for the people who took baseball swings to the head, did the person who hit you have to face someone besides the league?

hsing

Jan 10, 2008
Not the worst but easily the funniest that happened to me. During a outdoor rink hockey game, I fell on my knee wearing no protection and cut or destroyed the skin's nerves on my left knee. Since that, I can't fell anything on my skin at that place which is pretty weird.

Escapades

Mar 7, 2009
I was decapitated in a game last week, no biggie though I got stitched up between periods and was out there for the third.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
- Broken femur (thigh bone)

- broken collar bone

- chipped tailbone

- dislocated left knee over a dozen times. last time chipped a peanut M&M sized piece of cartilage off. Had to have the whole knee realigned.

- dislocated right knee 6-8 times.

shotty

May 2, 2009
Vancouver
i've had a couple minor concussions, but i've been pretty f'in lucky. played highly competitive hockey my entire life and (knock on wood) have never incurred any serious injury.... lots of physio and chiro though

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
- Broken femur (thigh bone)

- broken collar bone

- chipped tailbone

- dislocated left knee over a dozen times. last time chipped a peanut M&M sized piece of cartilage off. Had to have the whole knee realigned.

- dislocated right knee 6-8 times.

Man that is just brutal luck.

The collarbone alone is a hassle that takes a long time to heal because you use it for everything.

A guy on our team is done for the summer and may be done from hockey for good after a 4 wheel ATV accident at about 40mph. he caved in his collarbone which was a clean complete break so his upper chest area where it is has a caved in look.

He'll need surgery to repair it and even then he was told it would never ever be the same again for normal use and may have a locked feeling.

Your knee dislocations scare me because one of my knees has a lot of the cartilage that is just gone from a serious leg infection when I was 11 and i almost lost my leg. It isn't painful except on rainy days so I should be thankful even though it is weak.

I can imagine you use braces and stuff when you play at this point which I am sure adds to the frustration.

Good luck with your knees anyway you only get two and have to make them last until your final days.:laugh:

nyrpassion

Vetted.
Mar 10, 2008
Ottawa
about 2 years ago i had an avulsion tear in my hamstring, all the way near my buttock. its the whole hamstring ligament completly tears form the bone and takes part fo the bone with it. the exact place what you use to sit. i couldnt do anytihng for more than 2 months, before finally going to the doctor around november (happend in late may), the xray reveled some mass, so i had a mri and other exams. no doctor knew exactly what it was. some tohught a tumor, but turned out to be a hemton so for a about a year i went form one doctor to the next and it was always the same...rest, well i've been resting for a year! some docotrs say that i;m too young for an operation, others say that because i;m young i need the operations, neeldess to say, even after 2 years, it still hurst, cant run, cant play hockey, and everynow and then hurts while sitting. this all happend when i (think) partially tore it in hockey and then played soccer and tore i complty, i eard a loooud pop and then i almost fainted.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
Man that is just brutal luck.

The collarbone alone is a hassle that takes a long time to heal because you use it for everything.

A guy on our team is done for the summer and may be done from hockey for good after a 4 wheel ATV accident at about 40mph. he caved in his collarbone which was a clean complete break so his upper chest area where it is has a caved in look.

He'll need surgery to repair it and even then he was told it would never ever be the same again for normal use and may have a locked feeling.

Your knee dislocations scare me because one of my knees has a lot of the cartilage that is just gone from a serious leg infection when I was 11 and i almost lost my leg. It isn't painful except on rainy days so I should be thankful even though it is weak.

I can imagine you use braces and stuff when you play at this point which I am sure adds to the frustration.

Good luck with your knees anyway you only get two and have to make them last until your final days.:laugh:

I'm 27, but my right knee is 40 and my left knee is 65!

I'm used to wearing a brace when I play so much that I wear one on my right knee even though i don't really need it anymore. It's just a crappy ACE sleeve, but it's weird without it. Pretty badass one on my left knee though.

Breaking my femur was terrible at the time because (aside from the obvious pain) it was the first day of summer vacation between 8th and 9th grade. The AC was on in the ER, which made me shiver, which caused my muscles to twitch against the broken bone. They wouldn't give me any serious pain meds because there was no attending orthopedic surgeon at the hospital and they needed him to see if i needed surgery or not.

6 weeks in traction at the hospital and then 6 weeks in a body cast. Obliterated my social life that summer.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
After reading some of these pretty gruesome injuries, I feel like mine aren't much to talk about...

-Two concussions
-Broken finger in a fight
-had a teammate two-hand me over the head in a practice once (wasn't too bad, but was a bit dizzy for a few hours)
-Severe twist when I first played inline and tried a hockey stop

Then again, I almost got my face sliced once when I fell and had my helmet fall off in a scrum, and another guy fell and nearly guillotined me right there, was about an inch away from my face

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad