Worst Injury In Hockey History?

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Doesn't have to be NHL.
What do you think was the worst injury in hockey history?

Bill Masterton

/thread

With honorable mention to:

ClintMalarchuk_display_image.jpg

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Apart from the ones mentioned already I have to nominate Mark Howe getting impaled on the goalpost.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Besides the ones mentioned, Steve Moore. I have no idea why people can't understand why he doesn't get on with his life. If I was cheapshotted after a borderline hit (I still think Naslund put himself WAYYY into harm's way) and actually had a fight the following game to answer for my sins, then I would be pretty ticked that someone ended my career and altered my life. Like it or not, Moore did everything honourable after that hit. But that injury is scary to watch even after the millionth time.

Although no one saw it, Don Sanderson dying after a fight (not sure which league it was) a couple days after hitting his head off the ice. Sad story.

Alex Mogilny during the 1993 playoffs. I know Almo gets critiqued on here for at times being pedestrian in the postseason but he was playing extremely well when that happened and the direction his leg went was wrong.

Max Pacieoretty last year. Legal hit and all from Chara but what an impact that was. The Habs milked that for all the tea in China though let's not forget, but still pretty ugly.

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada
Agree with all these and I'll add in the time Al MacInnis dislocated his hip after being tripped on an icing. An injury that could have easily been avoided.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
By default, you gotta go with anything that led to death or paralysis. As mentioned, honorable mentions to howe, malarchuk, moore.... Draper..... I dunno, pat peake? Wasn't his ankle injury particularly brutal?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
By default, you gotta go with anything that led to death or paralysis. As mentioned, honorable mentions to howe, malarchuk, moore.... Draper..... I dunno, pat peake? Wasn't his ankle injury particularly brutal?

Yes, Peake had a terrible injury on an icing call. It ended his career. I think his heel just shattered on impact. If I remember correctly his injury was compared to that of when construction workers fall from high levels

tikkanen5rings*

well I can think of at least 3 paralyzis cases in Finland alone. The last one was a 15 year old junior so I pick that one.

Colinitus

PSN Survivor
Sep 13, 2011
Canada East
Masterton for worst..

Malarchuk for most intense..

Watching Stevens turn a brain into mush is something else but can't compare to the above.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
How can it not be Masterton? He died.. The most disgusting injury would be Malarchuk, but I obviously rather be in Malarchuk's shoes than Masterton, so Masterton's injury is the worst injury and it's not even close. Malarchuk's injury isn't even second. Travis Roy was paralyzed after hitting the boards head first in his first shift for Boston University.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Bengt Ã…kerblom who died in a friendly game by getting his throat cut. This led to the mandatory neck protector in Sweden.

Owen McCourt who was clubbed to death in the rink. No one was convicted.

Edgar Dey, got hit hard in the chest and died from his injuries.

I also remember reading about a czech in the 90s who got a spinal injury and afterwards he slipped in to a coma and died. I can't for the life of me remember his name.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
I also remember reading about a czech in the 90s who got a spinal injury and afterwards he slipped in to a coma and died. I can't for the life of me remember his name.
Actually I'm shocked no-one has posted this yet. That's why there are different icing rules in Europe and NA.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Actually I'm shocked no-one has posted this yet. That's why there are different icing rules in Europe and NA.

Cajka was his name, thank you. That was a gruesome accident and probably one of the worst in the sport. Too bad it will happen again before the NHL takes the dangers of touch icing serious.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Alcide Laurin was beaten to death at 19 years of age during a hockey game in 1905. The game was between two towns with a religiously motivated rivalry.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
Oh, I remember Ivan Droppa's (former Blackhawk) finger was cut by slash with stick in DEL. His recovery was successful and finger is where it should be :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad